Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 10-28-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
ZoeRochelle
Sigil Addict
ZoeRochelle began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad Air 2
Marvin syncing to pub storage

I just started using Marvin as my main reader on my iPad. I have spent hours trying to figure out the best way to store my book files and sync them to Marvin.

I can't use the iOS plugin because it doesn't work on iOS 9.

Is there another way to sync my books including bookmarks, notes, etc. so they are saved similar to iTunes used to?

I can store my .epub files in Dropbox, iCloud, in Calibre on my iMac ... I am open to suggestions. I have about 2000 books.

I should ad that I don't like calibre's file system. I like my pubs stored by author. I am pretty picky about it.

Any advice is appreciated.
ZoeRochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Hi ZoeRochelle,

Calibre does store the pubs by author, so I'm not sure what the issue is there. When I first started using Calibre I used to worry about the file structure and especially stressed about duplicates...but now I never even look at it. Somehow I managed to de-geek myself (although not completely...I still fiddle with metadata).

I've got the same issue with iOS though. However, my "work around" isn't very elegant but it is effective and I put all my pubs on my idevice (nearly 4000) because I just don't want to be bothered figuring out what's on and what's not.

So, I realised I had the software iMazing. Basically I just add my pubs (via iMazing) like they're files.

I now connect with iMazing, go to Apps & select Marvin. Then select "Copy to Device" and I select the Calibre directory and then "search" for ".epub" and by default it returns the epubs in date order. I select the multiples of files I want and it transfers them to the device.

It's not as easy as using Calibre directly using the iOS/MarvinXD plugins, but it gets the job done. And, of course, there is an expense of buying software - so I realise it's not optimal.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
ZoeRochelle
Sigil Addict
ZoeRochelle began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad Air 2
Thank you skb. I am going to check out iMazing. I'd not heard of it.

I can keep them all on my device. I hadn't considered it previous but my new iPad does have enough memory for it. Hmmm ...
ZoeRochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:13 PM   #4
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Yep, everything gets whacked on my device these days (I remember when my Palm only had 1Mb (or was it half?) of space and I had to put text files back and forward...ick.

Now, because storage on devices is so cheap and plentiful, I just put everything on it (although I think Marvin has a limit of 999 authors...which I passed). I just use the iMazing for updates or new stuff.

Calibre helps me keep backups - I lost a whole hard drive of stuff years ago and still fret about it - because everything is in one place. I just backup that whole directory. Also, it lets me fiddle with my beloved metadata. I think I need a hobby...
skb is offline   Reply With Quote