Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #61
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Today I finally tested xepdmgr in my iliad (hey, it booted after so long!). Thanks to all of you by making it work without me testing it .

I've tested to kill displaymgr and launching xepdmgr in s ssh session. After fixing a couple of bugs in 1.9a it worked! It wa refreshing the contentLister screen .

I'll update the 1.9 version above to the bugfixed one tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted .
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #62
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
Today I finally tested xepdmgr in my iliad
In an attempt to find a 'safe' way to test xepdmgr I 'bricked' my iliad: copied start.sh around and forgot to make it executable before rebooting...

Am re-flashing now...

Continue the good work!

Last edited by hansel; 12-11-2008 at 03:53 PM.
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #63
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
I am scared.
Here's a way for safer experiments:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33700
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:32 PM   #64
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
IMHO, hansel's idea is really good. And it can be applied to all customized boot mod.

I want to port a multi-lingual IME to iLiad, it is important to have a single display manager controlling all screen refresh automatically. With Antartica and hansel's effort, I am getting closer to my destination.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:45 PM   #65
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

I tried to replace displayMgr with xepdmgr with the following steps:
1. replace the line in /home/root/.start.sh:
Code:
/usr/bin/displayMgr -p &
with:
Code:
if [-f /media/card/mybootscript.sh ]; then
    . /media/card/mybootscript.sh
else
    /usr/bin/displayMgr -p &
fi
2. put mybootscript.sh and xepdmgr (0.19a) in /media/card
3. mybootscript.sh. has script to execute "xepdmgr &".

It seemed to work with mobipocket reader, but failed for some other apps. I removed SD and rebooted, and then everything went back to normal.

Added:
ipdf also worked fine when xepdmgr replaced displayMgr. From the current test result, I would infer that xepdmgr as default display manager works for official apps, but not for homebrew and ported apps. Since most homebrew or ported apps do not have proper called eripc, erdm, and erbusy lib, the problem might has something to do with it.

Last edited by ericshliao; 12-12-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:08 AM   #66
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've re-uploaded 1.9 (now 1.9b) with the fixes to displayMgr protocol init and direct ioctls.

You can download it here.

ericshliao: try again, 1.9b is the version I tried in my iliad.

Thanks for your testing .
Old 12-12-2008, 01:31 AM   #67
ericshliao
Guru

There seems something wrong with my steps to replace displayMgr with xepdmgr. displayMgr was not replaced. I have to check it.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:45 AM   #68
ericshliao
Guru

This time, I am sure xepdmgr did replace displayMgr and did work. Looking forward to v2.0.

One question:
When I have xepdmgr as default display manager, is it possible for xepdmgr prevent a second xepdmgr (whatever its version) from executing. I want this feature because most of my ported and homebrew apps are executed with xepdmgr. Executing an xepdmgr ontop of another xepdmgr will produce unwanted result.

Last edited by ericshliao; 12-12-2008 at 03:53 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:29 AM   #69
ericshliao
Guru

There seems to be a redundant (pre-mature) refresh when navigating in contentlister.

Last edited by ericshliao; 12-12-2008 at 04:41 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:27 AM   #70
ericshliao
Guru

In mrxvt, on-screen keypad doesn't work properly.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #71
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
When I have xepdmgr as default display manager, is it possible for xepdmgr prevent a second xepdmgr (whatever its version) from executing. I want this feature because most of my ported and homebrew apps are executed with xepdmgr. Executing an xepdmgr ontop of another xepdmgr will produce unwanted result.
It's planned before 2.0. What I'm intending to do is having xepdmgr as server to create a off-screen window with override-redirect (so I can be sure that it is not seen) with a specific title/class, and have xepdmgr as wrapper to verify that that window doesn't exists. If it exists xepdmr-the-wrapper will only launch the program and not update the screen, but if it doesn't exists it will act as it does now.

I think that it's a reasonable solution (programs including xepdmgr would work both with firmware 2.12.1 and with the future 2.x with xepdmgr).

Quote:
There seems to be a redundant (pre-mature) refresh when navigating in contentlister.
I'm afraid that to fix that a modification to contentLister would be neccessary. Hopefully adding the calls to
gtk_widget_freeze_child_notify() or similar (what is the correct function???).

Quote:
In mrxvt, on-screen keypad doesn't work properly.
You mean the iliad soft-keyboard?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #72
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
You mean the iliad soft-keyboard?
Yes. Sorry for not making it clear stated. When I wanted to type some char in mrxvt, I could only input 1 or 2 char. I don't know if other chars were not input or input but not shown on screen. The window could be closed by tapping upper-right x, though.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:35 PM   #73
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Yes. Sorry for not making it clear stated. When I wanted to type some char in mrxvt, I could only input 1 or 2 char. I don't know if other chars were not input or input but not shown on screen. The window could be closed by tapping upper-right x, though.
Thanks for the report. There is a IPC channel between displayMgr nd contentLister to notify the refreshes thst I've not implemented in xepdmgr yet.

There is a high probability that this bug is related to that .

I will have it coded in the next update .
Old 12-16-2008, 01:15 AM   #74
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
I will have it coded in the next update .
Here is xepdmgr 1.9c, which has the update notify to contentlister.

ericshliao: Can you test if the soft-keyboard works with this version? Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: gz xepdmgr-1.9c-iliad.tar.gz (98.2 KB, 407 views)
Old 12-16-2008, 01:58 AM   #75
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Here is xepdmgr 1.9c, which has the update notify to contentlister.

ericshliao: Can you test if the soft-keyboard works with this version? Thanks
In mrxvt, it seems solved partially. The screen reponse is quite delayed. About 30 or more seconds to wait for refresh. All input during screen frozen are actually input to terminal.