Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #91
Stino
Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Paperwhite
Hello to all here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Typing su in terminal gets segmentation fault.
I have the same problem on my device.

I installed with an Windows XP running in an VirtualBox the "minimal-set-1".
Android Launcher is working fine, but Superuser.apk is not working and also when I open the terminal and type in "su" I get an segmentation fault. Also "sudo" is not working since I have no rights to run this command.

I also also try the "minimal-root" without success with "su". What is the difference to "minimal-set-1"?

I think it is possible that Sony ship this devices with different kernel software and that is why your "su" is not working. I bought my device in germany were shipping just start last week, but in USA the shipping start an month ago. So it sounds plausible to me that they have different software installed.

Is there an "cat /proc/whatever" way we can compare this?

I reed there is an other way to become root with "adb". How is this working?
I download android-sdk-macosx and also install the platform-tool for android 2.2 (I see on the device is an 2.2.1). But when I try to connect to my device with "adb" it is never found. Did I have to bring the device in a special mode with an special key combination or by installing special software before?

My goal is to install some own fonts like "Jenson Classico" inside /ebook/fonts but this folder is read only and without root rights I can not remount it for write access. And also would like to install/start an sshd or telnetd.

Last edited by Stino; 10-30-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Stino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #92
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
su core dumping - yes, see it now. Actually, it's just an installer bug. I'll put out an update later today.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #93
Napfkuchen
Napfkuchen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Having trouble flashing my reader.
Disk D: SETTINGS is write -protected
Is that a known issue - and what can I do to get rid of that write-protection.

I already tried DISKPART an the REGISTRY entry - with no success.
Napfkuchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #94
RhialtoFalu
RhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-T1
I think I found out why the "su" command fails. [ Ah, I wrote this before checking the latest few new messages ]

I was near an MSWindows computer today so I did the root hack (I used minimal-root.zip). After that, I browsed through the file system with Root Explorer and noticed the file /sdcard/script.log. In it was output from the /tmp/do_update.sh script, and part of it read:

Updating /system
cp: write error: No space left on device

Browsing a bit more, I found that the su command was truncated. So it is not so strange if it doesn't work.

Added: I managed to fix the problem from the rescue shell via USB, by looking at the difference between the minimal-root.zip files :-)

Last edited by RhialtoFalu; 10-30-2011 at 08:38 PM.
RhialtoFalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #95
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Those who had trouble getting the "su" command to work should be able to download a fixed root package now. But make sure to install the recovery/rescue package first!

Last edited by porkupan; 10-30-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #96
porkupan
Fanatic

You need the "disk" named READER. The "disk"named SETTINGS is read-only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napfkuchen View Post
Having trouble flashing my reader.
Disk D: SETTINGS is write -protected
Is that a known issue - and what can I do to get rid of that write-protection.

I already tried DISKPART an the REGISTRY entry - with no success.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:55 AM   #97
Stino
Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

First I try "minimal-root" and later "minimal-set-1" without success. Than I saw "cp: write error: No space left on device" inside /mnt/sdcard/script.log and take a look here in the thread again.

I found out that I need to reset my device with "restore-set" and give the "minimal-set-1" another try. And finally I can use "su" and Superuser.apk now to get root rights. Thanks for your good work.

Now I can explore the fonts problem again.
With "mount" I saw that /ebook/font is an cramfs from /mnt/block/mmcblk2p5

I try to remount it rw but this was not possible. In internet they wrote cramfs is only for readonly using. Than I make an copy from /ebook/fonts to /ebook/fonts2 with the plan to unmount /ebook/fonts and than create a normal folder of it from my copy font2. But unfortunly an umount of /ebook/fonts was not possible. Any ideas why unmount not work? Or other ideas how I can install my own fonts in /ebook/fonts (maybe create an own mmcblk2p5)?

Last edited by Stino; 10-31-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:15 AM   #98
Napfkuchen
Napfkuchen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
You need the "disk" named READER. The "disk"named SETTINGS is read-only.
That was it!
I renamed READER to PRS-T1 and so the flash-routine wanted to use SETTING - which didn't work. Now i is all set.

Now I have to work on getting myself into android ...
Napfkuchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #99
Stino

After play a while with root rights I realized that the normal ebook reader app let me not longer change any font (neither in epub nor pdf). It shows the normal list but if I select an other font it still uses the default font that is defined for the book. I not realize this problem earlier since I had some epub included fonts(they are inside epub) that I like and had not much reason to change it.

I check a few points but not find the cause of the problem.
1. reboot -> font change not possible in reader
2. restore again "restore-set" -> font change not possible in reader (strange I thought this is factory default ?)
3. restore again "minimal-set-1" -> font change not possible in reader
4. /mnt/sdcard/script.log shows no errors
5. I see /ebook/fonts is still mounted and rights looking good (like other folders)
6. there is an symbolic links from /ebook/fonts to /system/fonts but also see no problem with rights there
7. "logcat" shows a few java errors after I change fonts, but not sure if this is related to problem or normal for java

I sure the font change was working before I start using this android packages here.

I will attach the complete output of logcat here. Maybe it will talk to someone (see logcat.txt).

Here are just follow the java errors I talked about:
Code:
E/ReadingView( 2349): view property, viewType : core.Errors.Exception:12 Document contains no original metadata. View port is updated.
E/ReadingView( 2349): com.sony.drbd.reading.Errors.check(Errors.java:29)
E/ReadingView( 2349): com.sony.drbd.ebook.reader.views.ReadingView$SurfaceThreadHandler.updateContentOrientation(ReadingView.java:3178)
E/ReadingView( 2349): com.sony.drbd.ebook.reader.views.ReadingView$SurfaceThreadHandler.initDocumentCoreImpl(ReadingView.java:3124)
E/ReadingView( 2349): view property, drawingDirection : core.Errors.Exception:12 Document contains no original metadata. View port is updated.
E/ReadingView( 2349): com.sony.drbd.reading.Errors.check(Errors.java:29)
E/ReadingView( 2349): com.sony.drbd.ebook.reader.views.ReadingView$SurfaceThreadHandler.updateContentOrientation(ReadingView.java:3193)
E/ReadingView( 2349): com.sony.drbd.ebook.reader.views.ReadingView$SurfaceThreadHandler.initDocumentCoreImpl(ReadingView.java:3124)
Attached Files
File Type: txt logcat.txt (59.8 KB, 593 views)
Old 10-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #100
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stino View Post
After play a while with root rights I realized that the normal ebook reader app let me not longer change any font (neither in epub nor pdf). It shows the normal list but if I select an other font it still uses the default font that is defined for the book.
The ability to change the font in the EPUB files has not been impaired by Root. Just open one of the files that were originally on the reader (i.e. The Jungle Book), and play with changing the fonts all you like.

Changing the font face never worked for some files with embedded fonts, no matter whether you are sure of it or not. That's just the way it's implemented (probably via default CSS substitution). So, when you download the files from somewhere, if they have embedded fonts, the font face change may not work.

I hope I explained it well enough for you. The rescue package really does change everything to the way things had been before you installed root. Not to factory default, which is something different entirely.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #101
porkupan
Fanatic

I've updated the base Root package with the newest version of CoolReader. This version (3.0.51-28) supports handling Next and Previous button scancodes on PRS-T1 natively. Therefore I could remove the hack required to support page turn buttons in CoolReader. In the new release page turn button functionality in Sony applications and the Internet Browser has been restored.

Please make sure to install the recovery package before installing the new Root package. Unfortunately, one cannot safely install one Root package over top of another.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #102
Stino

Your are right, all works as before! Sorry for my confussion, but this is my first eReader.

I had already delate the books that come original from the device and all books I tried later had the same problem.

After you told me about the cause of the problem I reinstalled the original books and with them the font changing works fine as you said before.

I copy the content of the css files from one these books into one of my books and now I can change there fonts as well, but then missing the original font that is included in the epub. I try to create an css file that make both possible (internal and external fonts), but still with no success (css is also new topic for me). So situation is neither I have font change with all internal fonts or only have one external font. But I will look forward.

Thanks for your good hint!
Old 11-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #103
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by darseno View Post
Where can I get it, since I don't have access to the Android Market or the Amazon appstore?
Here it is
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #104
RhialtoFalu
RhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
I've updated the base Root package with the newest version of CoolReader.
As stubborn as I am, I looked at the differences between the previous and new Root package, and copied over the changed files only (and restored the gpio-keys.kl file) using the diagnostic shell on the serial port. However, now CoolReader seems to be gone, and even more, reinstalling by clicking on its .apk file from RootExplorer fails... Hm weird. It seems to start installing but it always ends with "application not installed"...

Using the same method to put the older files back doesn't make a difference, so I'm curious what I did wrong.

Latest update: some package info/manager thing allowed me to de-install CoolReader, in whatever state it was, which seemed to remove the files. Then re-installing the cr3*.apk file worked. Phew.

Last edited by RhialtoFalu; 11-01-2011 at 09:12 PM.
RhialtoFalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #105
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhialtoFalu View Post
now CoolReader seems to be gone, and even more, reinstalling by clicking on its .apk file from RootExplorer fails... Hm weird. It seems to start installing but it always ends with "application not installed"...
Well, the old CoolReader was a test version signed by a developer's key, while the new CoolReader is the official version signed by the release key. Just copying it over the old one wouldn't work - you would have to uninstall the old version (via Manage Applications section of the Android Settings), then install the new version.

I don't know if the uninstall would still work, now that you have tried various copying things. You can try doing the uninstall, then installing. If it doesn't work, you can remove the package info for CoolReader (org.coolreader) from the /data/system/packages.xml file, then try installing it again. Android monitors the contents of /data/app directory, so you would want to remove the apk from there before deleting the package from packages.xml. In fact, the only safe way to edit packages.xml would be in recovery mode.

Tags
android, prs-t1, root, rooted, sony