Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-16-2015, 11:39 PM   #3541
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O
@knc1: Good catch, thanks .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:09 AM   #3542
misojogi
misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS -500, Sony PRS505, Kindle3, Kindle DXG, Prestigio
@NiLuJe
i am afraid, i dont unterstand you

I dont know, what I can do
How solve I my problem with KindleTool ?

I can instal jailbreak from Niluje (update was succesfull)
but then I can not instal launchpad (I still got the greyed out "Update")

for example i can instal USB network, but launchpad i can not install

my Kindle is
Quote:
B00A Kindle 3 3G + WiFi (Europe) K3, K3GB
and i have used jailbreak for it

Last edited by misojogi; 06-17-2015 at 04:58 AM.
misojogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:21 AM   #3543
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misojogi View Post
@NiLuJe
i am afraid, i dont unterstand you

I dont know, what I can do
How solve I my problem with KindleTool ?

I can instal jailbreak from Niluje (update was succesfull)
but then I can not instal launchpad (I still got the greyed out "Update")

for example i can instal USB network, but launchpad i can not install

my Kindle is
and i have used jailbreak for it
Which sounds as if USB network has been re-packaged and launchpad has not.

PS: Install KUAL rather than launchpad, KUAL has much more recent support/updates.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #3544
jackieone
jackieone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
YEE-HAW! That download was accepted by my Kindle!
and you were totally correct, I have a B006, I need new glasses!

Thank you so much!

Next step:

I plugged in Kindle, found the file "Update_jailbreak_0.13.N_k3g_install.bin" and moved it to Kindle root.

When I went to update, it started but aborted quickly, then went to the reload where the Kindle picture of the boy reading under a tree shows up.

The message at bottom left was "U007". Does this mean it worked, or didn't work?

When I plugged in Kindle again, and looked in the root directory, here's what I see:

4 folders:
audible (it's empty)
documents (all my books and their cover art)
music (empty)
screensaver (I made this one 10 days ago, and put all my intended screen art into it)

That's all.

What should be my next step?
Again thank you so much for your time with this!

Last edited by jackieone; 06-17-2015 at 05:44 PM. Reason: additional information
jackieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:01 PM   #3545
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
U007 is the exit code for a failed update. Not sure whether that is expected (OP says it should fail on fw2.x?).

Can you install hacks?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #3546
jackieone

Thank you for your response.
OK, failed installation.
Well, actually, no, I'm not very savvy with programming or installing hacks or stuff like that. I only wanted to be able to put my pictures up on the screensaver on the Kindle. It worked once, a long time ago, but now...
Well, I'm a bit lost with all this LOL!
Old 06-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #3547
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jackieone: U007 (usually) means the JB is not installed.

That should *never* happen on a JB install... except when mixing different JBs.
... and also when uninstalling some buggy JB versions (yifan's included).

I'm unclear if you first successfully ran the uninstall package I attached earlier, but if you did, one quick fix for said buggy uninistallers is to fully reboot the device before trying to install new stuff.

TL;DR: Restart the Kindle and try again (to install the latest JB & ScreenSavers hack) .
Old 06-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #3548
jackieone

Thanks!

I successfully uninstalled the Yifan jailbreak, per feedback from my Kindle, and later today I will do a reboot, then try the newer jailbreak and see if it sticks.

Third times the charm! I'll post results afterwards.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #3549
jackieone

Update:

I rebooted the Kindle per instructions, plugged in, moved"Update_jailbreak_0.13.N_k3g_install.bin" into the root directory, released Kindle from computer, unplugged Kindle, home-menu-settings-menu-update (it was not greyed out, so I picked it) but almost immediately it gave the U007 message lower left corner.

*sigh*

You've all been so patient, any other ideas?
Thanks!
Old 06-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #3550
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jackieone: Huh. That's... potentially not good.

What happens if you try to install the ScreenSavers hack?

(I'm gonna go with U007 too, but who knows...).

----

I'm also assuming you never messed with the /etc/uks folder over SSH, and/or never did anything to try to block official updates?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #3551
jackieone

thanks again for your reply.

I don't know what the Screensavers Hack is, sorry. If you can point me to a location, I can do the install and see what happens.

No, I never even saw the folder you mentioned, (don't know what SSH is...lol). The only folders I see in my Kindle when I plug it in are the four I previously mentioned.

this has become a great mystery!

Possible that the folder I installed "Screensavers" with my converted pictures (converted to the smaller size necessary to display) in there is part of the problem? That's the only change I ever made to the Kindle information.

Last edited by jackieone; 06-24-2015 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 06-24-2015, 09:32 AM   #3552
jackieone

Will the screensavers hack take care of the problem, do you think, or does it allow me to then install the jailbreak?

Last edited by jackieone; 06-24-2015 at 09:36 AM. Reason: new question
Old 06-24-2015, 10:06 AM   #3553
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jackieone: Not even remotely, but it's packaged differently than the JB (for obvious reasons), so that'd be another data point .
Old 06-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #3554
jackieone

I located the ss file, followed the usual procedure, the "update" was NOT greyed out, but it stopped shortly after with the U007 code in the bottom left corner.

Just strange, right?

Thanks for your suggestion, it was a good chance.
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #3555
jackieone

I've been away for a while, just checking to see if anyone has any additional insight re: my B006 Kindle and the screensaver jailbreak situation.

Left off with attempting to upload the ScreenSaver Hack; I was able to select "Update" but it responded quickly with a "U007" code at bottom left of screen.

Did the reboot, but no luck.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet