Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
sweevo
Groupie
sweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle Touch
Why can't I read on my Kindle while continuing to charge over USB?

Watch this:

Step 1. Connect Kindle to PC (Windows 7 Home Premium).

Kindle says:

"USB Driver Mode - If you want to read or shop on your Kindle while continuing to charge over USB, please keep the USB cable attached, but eject your Kindle from the computer."

Step 2. Click "safely remove hardware and eject media"

Step 3. Click "eject Amazon Kindle". The "safe to remove device" message pops up, but...

The Kindle still shows the same message as before.

Why?
sweevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:21 AM   #2
mvdarend
mvdarend doesn't littermvdarend doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
You're almost certainly missing the correct or latest chipset drivers for your motherboard.

You might find the drivers via a Windows update, but usually you'll have to download them via the manufacturers website.
mvdarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 01:23 AM   #3
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
I have the same problem, and I downloaded everything right from dell. I eject the hardware, and it still says the same message. doesn't bother me, though, because I can just plug into my phone charger if I somehow need to read while plugged in.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:25 AM   #4
BigWaffles
Enthusiast
BigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-books

Device: K2, KDX
sweevo,

What model Kindle do you have? I had similar problems with my K2US and Windows 7. At first it acted similar to what you are describing by not ejecting the Kindle. After a couple of weeks it stopped recognizing the K2 at all and wouldn't let me access it. I worked with it for several weeks before finally giving up and reloading my laptop with XP. Never did figure out what was wrong.

C.P.T.
BigWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:27 AM   #5
KayakerNC
Enthusiast
KayakerNC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Klassic (K1), Kindle 3 wifi & 3G, and Sony Pocket
When you Kindle is plugged in to the USB, go to the START button.
Click on the "Computer" link on the right hand side of the Start Menu.
You should now see your Kindle listed on that page.
Left click on the Kindle to bring up the drop-down menu.
Click on the Eject option.
Now your Kindle should show the Home screen, so you can read while it is still physically plugged into the USB and charging.
KayakerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 01:37 AM   #6
mvdarend

I forgot to add, on some PCs the USB ports at the front are less stable than the rear ones. You might find it works when using the rear Ports.

* Years ago I worked for CreativeLabs and a lot of my work entailed helping people with MP3 player connectivity problems. The problem you describe almost always meant chipset driver problems.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:40 AM   #7
geekgeek
geekgeek doesn't littergeekgeek doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
I had the exact same problem and this is what worked for:

Instead of using the "Safely Remove Hardware and Remove Media" icon in your system tray on the lower right corner of your screen, go to Windows Explorer, located the Kindle itself under "Computer", right click on it and choose "Eject"

For some reason this worked for me, while ejecting via the System Tray icon didn't. Hope this helps!
geekgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:10 AM   #8
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgeek View Post

Instead of using the "Safely Remove Hardware and Remove Media" icon in your system tray on the lower right corner of your screen, go to Windows Explorer, located the Kindle itself under "Computer", right click on it and choose "Eject"

For some reason this worked for me, while ejecting via the System Tray icon didn't. Hope this helps!
Worked for me, thank you
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:31 AM   #9
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale View Post
Worked for me, thank you
The way you eject the Kindle depends on whether its Windows or Mac and the specific version of Windows if you're running Windows.

If it is Vista or 7 then you have to eject the Kindle "drive" from Computer.
If it is XP then you go to Safely remove hardware in the notification area and eject it from there.

The Kindle user guide mentions it in section 8.1
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:35 AM   #10
sweevo
Groupie
sweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animals

Sorry, I forgot to mention I've got the Kindle 3.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:41 AM   #11
sweevo
Groupie

Quote:
Wow. That actually did work for me. Thank you!

I would never have figured out this workaround on my own, since I *never* use Windows Explorer - I use a far superior utility called Total Commander ( http://www.totalcmd.net/ ), a 2-pane Norton Commander style file manager / swiss army knife.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:13 AM   #12
mvdarend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
If it is Vista or 7 then you have to eject the Kindle "drive" from Computer.
If it is XP then you go to Safely remove hardware in the notification area and eject it from there.

The Kindle user guide mentions it in section 8.1
Thanks for that, learn something new every day I had only ever experienced it with XP, maybe I should get with the times!
Old 09-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
+1 for ejecting from "My Computer" vs using the "safely remove hardware. Nice to know!

(and yes, I'm using windows 7)
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #14
fowler002
fowler002 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I had a little play and the eject from my computer works rather than the safely remove hardware(or eject in caliber), I'm using vista but have xp on a laptop and another pc so will try on one of them also.
fowler002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #15
Aras Geylani
Aras Geylani began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 3G+WiFi
Quote:

Hi, I had same problem and in Windows 7 it worked by going to Computer right-click on the drive that is labeleld Kindle and go down the menu and choose Eject.
Aras Geylani is offline   Reply With Quote