Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 01:22 AM   #181
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
You are such a help to everyone NiLuJe - so everyone who has benefitted could at least send him/her some karma! It isnt hard - see those three blue rectangles under his/her personal details? Click on the middle one! Click submit and all done!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:33 AM   #182
max666
max666 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Verry helpfull, so I will give 5 stars!
And I will accompany and say mighty creators/updaters.
max666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 05:55 AM   #183
Alex73
Alex73 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yep, Caecilia (the Kindle's default Serif font (used in the books, and it's also the default font in the browser)) is indeed missing some combined diatrics. (It does support some diatrics though, ie. the few ones used in french ^^).

Good news is, both Droid & DejaVu have them all (AFAICT).

So, with this font hack, and some particular sets, for example, Museo or DejaVu (And possibly other fonts, I didn't check more than that, if you want me to check a particular font before trying it out, don't hesitate to ask ), you should have a font supporting most (if not all) of the diatrics needed for romanian script.

EDIT: Scratch that, Droid Serif is missing the two 'T comma below' glyphs.

EDIT²: But DejaVu does. I'll attach a DejaVu set to this post .

If you prefer the 'Serif Slab' look of the default font to a classic Serif, the Museo Slab set in my third post should support the needed combined diatrics.

Sorry for posting so late for you guys but my timezone is GMT+2.

Thank you very much NiLuJe for your help. I decided to proceed to jailbreak+fontHack. Here is what happened:

1. jailbreak worked smoothly on my k2i 2.5.3 thanks again NiLuJe (and others who worked with him)
2. hack fonts also installed with no problem .i used the autoreboot options adding a file named reboot in linkfonts folder - great job guys !
3. So far tried 2 font as NiLuJE suggested me (DejaVu and Museo_Slab) and here is the result:

- font hacking is very helpful, using a bolder font brings major improvement to reading experience
- MAJOR breakthrought for me : Romanian webpages display correctly now on my kindle2

-bad news for my converted ebooks (

I tried editing source files (.doc and .rtf) with Word 2007, changing font to Arial, Arial unicode, Lucinda unicode , Ms sans.... and others, and converted those with calibre - no results diacritics not shown...

Still i am sure i am on the right directions in solving this problem

I think i have to find the font standard for romanian webpages and use it for my documents and after that convert them. Do you think this will work?

Is it possible to manually add diacritics to a font? what software do i need?

Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks again NiLuJe for your assistance . Great guy !

Alex
Alex73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:10 AM   #184
Alex73

hi guys,

I attached to this post a small archive with 4 documents written in romanian: 2 .doc and 2 .rtf that are not properly displayed after converting them with calibre. even after the font hack.

Maybe it is something that i did wrong in the converting process, or i didn't use the right settings...maybe there is another converter who does this job better, i am not sure..

If some of you guys have time to try i will highly appreciate this.

10x
Alex,

Kindle2i
Attached Files
File Type: rar Books in romanian.rar (1.22 MB, 368 views)
Old 07-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #185
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The fonts you set in your documents have no impact on the output produced on the Kindle, so that explains some of that. I guess there's a clash in character sets encoding somewhere in the conversion, I'll experiment a bit with this and get back to you

EDIT: @Alex73: Yeah, I can't get it to convert properly directly through calibre either, even after trying most of the usual romanian character encodings as the input charset... Might be just because I'm missing something stupid in calibre to handle these files ^^ One way to do it, when converting from non-HTML based formats like these, is to export them to HTML/XHTML (Or even PDF... -_-") first, and then use that HTML/PDF file in Calibre. That should work way better. (I tried with the XHTML export from OpenOffice, and that seemed to work fine when converted through Calibre!)

Also, @DX Graphite owners: Is it still a B05 serial? What exact version of the firmware is installed? Any brave souls here wanting to help see if that thing's hackable? ^^

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-07-2010 at 02:37 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #186
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Also, @DX Graphite owners: Is it still a B05 serial? What exact version of the firmware is installed? Any brave souls here wanting to help see if that thing's hackable? ^^
Not sure of the S/N, but it has been reported that the DXG comes with 2.5.5
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #187
Alex73

Quote:
One way to do it, when converting from non-HTML based formats like these, is to export them to HTML/XHTML
Tried different combination, but this one didn't cross my mind

This works just fine , all books are correctly formatted now Thank you man.

I tried some other fonts in your first post. All of them display the converted books ok, but not all show correctly the web pages in browser. Dejavu, georgia, museo and droid sans works fine with browser and books.
(this apply for romanian language)

Thanks again NiLuJe .

Alex
Old 07-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #188
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, my guess would be the browser only supports fonts with precomposed characters (the letter + diatrical mark in a single glyph) vs. combining character (the letter in a glyph, and the diatrical mark in another, and the software combines the two to make the specific character).

That's why I was surprised at the vietnamese support of the default font, I wasn't aware of the combining character feature of unicode .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-07-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #189
NiLuJe
BLAM!

For the most daring DXg owners, here's a wild shot in the dark update to see if we can jailbreak that thing. Should fail with a U006 error if all is well. If not, well, I'm out of my depth .

And when I say 'daring', and 'shot in the dark', I really mean that. I don't have, and probably won't ever have one of these, so...

EDIT: Didn't work. ;'(

EDIT²: It's now working. First post updated.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-09-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #190
outismetis
outismetis began at the beginning.

Quote:
For the most daring DXg owners, here's a wild shot in the dark update to see if we can jailbreak that thing. Should fail with a U006 error if all is well. If not, well, I'm out of my depth .

And when I say 'daring', and 'shot in the dark', I really mean that. I don't have, and probably won't ever have one of these, so...
Your jailbreak works, so that's for the shot in the dark. Thanks. However, I can't get the Screensaver hack to work. The custom images never appear, just the defaults.
outismetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #191
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Err, I didn't repack the other hacks for the dxg... What bin file did you try to install them (And did the update actually succeed?)?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-08-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #192
outismetis

So, I was mistaken. I don't believe that the jailbreak worked because I wasn't able to get anything else working. The error code I received was 0003 not the 0006 you mentioned would occur.

I'll gladly be the test candidate should you like one.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #193
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, that would have been too easy...

But just to be clear, the jaibreak update failed with a 0003 error? And I guess any other hack failed with a U007?

Anyway, last shot in the dark, I updated (again! ) the files in the first post... You're welcome to try these new ones, but I doubt it'll work... .

Also, just to be sure, what's the beginning of the serial number? (it was B005 on a KDX for example).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-08-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #194
acarr
acarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Also, just to be sure, what's the beginning of the serial number? (it was B005 on a KDX for example).
Just got a Graphite DX today. The serial starts with B009 and the software version is 2.5.5 (495460008).

So it looks like the screensaver hack isn't working for it yet? I was reading through a thread that had a hack to use the current screen as the screensaver but it was for an old version, is there anything like that for the new versions? I really don't see the point of a screensaver for an eink display...
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #195
outismetis

Quote:
Anyway, last shot in the dark, I updated (again! ) the files in the first post... You're welcome to try these new ones, but I doubt it'll work... .
The new ones didn't work either, as you expected. The serial number starts with B009. I assume the hack is closer to that used for the International DX since the new DX is only offered as global.

If you need some non-expertise help (leg work) let me know.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet