Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
Vanessa
French newbie
Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: iLiad v2, Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Voyage
Abiword in landscape mode ?

Simple question : is it possible to launch Abiword in landscape mode ? Asking this because I'm planning to buy a foldable keyboard and to use the iLiad as a laptop substitution to be able to work on the beach
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Before you buy a keyboard, try once with a usb keyboard in your reach. I found it impossible to write, it is too slow.

It was like this: You write one two words, they come letter for letter. Oh I made a mistake, it takes a while to erase, you write the next words, same again. After 5 Minutes I was really nerved and had only written one sentence.

This works only if you write as slowly as a snail.

Best regards
Gogolo

P.S. I would love to write on e-ink.
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
Vanessa
French newbie
Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Thanks for pointing that out ! Actually, I write really really fast, and I know how unnerving it can be if the display is not following... Had that on a really old notebook ^^
Anyway, this would be for a first draft, so I would correct the documents afterwards. Problem is, I don't have any USB keyboard, as I still use the good old PS/2 keyboard (no point in using USB if you don't need to...).
I'll try to borrow one, and I'll let you know how it's going, but first I'll have to download the keyboard app, then to remap the keyboard (I'm french and will be using a qwerty keyboard, but I want to lay it out as a a qwertz keyboard (swiss-french layout, same as qwerty except for the accented letters)).
Old 09-01-2008, 06:26 AM   #4
Gogolo
Addict

Quote:
I want to lay it out as a a qwertz keyboard (swiss-french layout
I would have to do this also

Greetigns from Switzerland

Gogolo
Old 09-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
Vanessa
French newbie

tested it, it's ok. But definately, Abiword would need to be in landscape mode. Any way to do that simply ?

(and I've got no idea on where to start for the mapping of the keyboard...)

So, fellow Swiss ? Where do you live ?
Advert
Old 09-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
You maybe be able to do it with xrandr.

Check out this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7110
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:22 AM   #7
Gogolo
Addict

Try also beaver.

Somewhere under options you can adjust the window size to the iLiad one, then its quite nice and useable.

Vanessa, I come from Basel. Nice little town

Gogolo
Old 09-06-2008, 06:28 AM   #8
Vanessa
French newbie

And beaver supports .doc files ?
The thing is that the screen is still quite small (even if it's huge compared to other devices) and by putting everything in landscape mode, I can have bigger fonts.
The point is to have the full width of the page in the landscape mode.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
Vanessa
French newbie

Tried to install xrandr (actually, had boyfriend (good with unix and stuff like that) do it for me), didn't work. Apparently, package is corrupted.
"Invalid magic."
For me, it's necessary to have the page width on the full length of the iLiad, and I don't think Beaver can do it, so the only way would be to rotate Abiword 90°.
Any other idea on how to do it ?
Old 09-10-2008, 02:40 AM   #10
Gogolo
Addict

I also would be interested in landscape mode, but more for web browsing. If you get it working, post it, please.

But why not working with beaver? You'll get a txt file and you can do all format changing, corrections afterwards on a computer. With beaver you only write...

By the way: Where do you live in Switzerland? (Wonder how many iLiad users there are in Switzerland :-)

Gogolo

Last edited by Gogolo; 09-10-2008 at 02:42 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:37 AM   #11
Vanessa
French newbie

Hi ! If you can rotate the screen when you use Beaver, why not ^^
The point for screen rotation is that you don't get ugly dirty things when the screen refreshes.
Example : you're in Abiword / Beaver, whatever text editor. You have two choices : either you select a HUGE font to type and you see what you do, either you work in a 200% zoom.
Problem for the zoom solution : when you type, the screen is slowly adjusting to go to the right (sorry, I'm not very clear, but it adjusts itself to center the text you're typing.). With the iLiad's slow screen refresh, you get a blur of letters and sentences, every single second the iLiad refreshes, so you never have a single line of readable text.
I still have to try the huge font solution, but I'd prefer to have the full height turned as width, so that I can use Abiword (or Beaver) in page width mode, have readable text, minimize screen refresh problems, and be able to work (almost) as if on my computer.

For Beaver, I'll try to install it today, to see it in action. Actually, I need a text editor that can read and edit .doc files. I'm a writer and a corrector in a publishing house, so my use of the iLiad would be mainly reading manuscripts, correcting .doc files also in the bright sun, and why not, go on with my own novel

BTW, I live in Coppet, 10km from Nyon and 13km from Geneva (Coppet is between Geneva and Nyon, and 3km away from Divonne (France). In the canton de Vaud).
French or swiss-german ? ^^ I know Basel is a bilingual city, so I'm wondering

Tags
abiword, iliad, keyboard, landscape mode