Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
Kratos
Connoisseur
Kratos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, iPad, PC
Smile How do I create an ePub for iPad with expandable images?

Hi everyone!

I want to create a book that will be read predominately on iPad. It will feature short chapters of text with pictures. I'd like it so that when you double-tap an image, the text disappears and the image expands and fills the page. And when you double-tap the image again it goes back to normal. I have seen this feature in a couple of books from iBooks store so I know its possible.

I don't have any programming experience but I have made and published a Kindle book using Word, MobiPocket, and some kind help from these very forums! I was thinking of downloading Adobe InDesign 5.5 demo and making my epub with the 28 day limit! I have heard it is meant to be very user friendly, is this a good idea and can it expand images?

I would like to know what would be the best sort of page dimensions to suit iBooks on the iPad. I've read 5.5 inches width and 8.25 inches length works, is this good? Is there If there is any advice on image file size limitations and dimensions to look best on the page?

Should an ePub have a maximum file size?

So I know a few questions, but any advice would be majorly appreciated.

Thank you
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It will probably need some non-specified code which is not supported in the specs, but it probably can be done. However, the book will only be readable on the iBooks.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Liz Castro has had several articles on the "features" of epub for iBooks in her blog. She also has a book available on her web site. I can't remember if she covered the exact features you want to use, but you will find it useful, I'm sure.

Last edited by pholy; 06-12-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: cleanup
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Liz Castro has had several articles on the "features" of epub for iBooks in her blog. She also has a book available on her web site. I can't remember if she covered the exact features you want to use, but you will find it useful, I'm sure.
Her book is the best resource if you have to code for iBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Kratos
Connoisseur
Kratos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, iPad, PC
Thanks for the tips I have checked out her site and contacted her. For the record, although I haven't tested it the info Im getting is that the image should expand in iBooks automatically, as long as the image file is large enough.
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

That would be my guess too. Publishers don't really understand eBooks or how to correctly design and create them. If an iBook required some special code, then few publishers would understand it or get it correct. Making the images work auotomatically just makes sense.

EDIT: I think image size might not be so important either, though I'm just guessing. The reason I suspect this is that I've read a few history books with maps and charts and various other images, and when I expand them on my iPt4 or the iPad the images are extremely pixelated. They are so pixelated that text within the images is impossible read. In other books the expanded images are much better. So I suspect a small resolution image will expand just like a large resolution image, but the small resolution images will look terrible.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-17-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Tags
epub, epub creation, ipad