Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2007, 09:14 AM   #1
magogo
magogo began at the beginning.

Convert offline websites into a single pdf?

Is any tool that can do that and specify the link depth? If so, I can read web content on my reader. I know RSS is possible, just wonder if there is any tool for normal web content. Thanks.

Last edited by magogo; 05-08-2007 at 09:24 AM.
magogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Instead of converting a whole website, I usually extract the right information using a content extractor like Dapper, and then generate a PDF out of the RSS output of Dapper.

You can hardly turn a full website into a PDF: you need to remove most of the layout, links etc... A tool that would convert "a full website", would be a content extractor too. That's why using a content extraction service or tool and then converting this information into PDF, you get the same kind of result.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given that there's no facility on the Reader for linking between documents, you'd need a tool which converted the web site into a single "linear" document with the links jumping you around within it - ie something which "stiched together" the individual pages of the web site "end to end" into one single "page". That wouldn't actually be terribly difficult to do - I might have a go at doing something about it if I have some free time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
html2lrf
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Also Adobe Acrobat in the more recent versions will allow you to extract full web sites or just down so many levels into a PDF. I do this for later analysis but these are letter sized pages. I see no reason you could not do the same with pages sized for your reader.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2007, 07:56 AM   #6
magogo

thanks, guys. I found that acrobat can do a really good job for online/offline website (See attached pic). The hyberlink is also working with sony reader. Dapper is a good idea (though i am not sure if you can use it for offline contents).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	testpic.JPG
Views:	455
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	3480  

Last edited by magogo; 05-11-2007 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:52 AM   #7
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
web2book/rss2book can also do this.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
magogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
html2lrf
I tried that. It's great. Much better than Acrobat, because it generates native lrf format. Thanks.