Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #61
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
[Angel on my left shoulder] You don't *need* an Aura HD, your Touch is working very well for you

[Devil on my right shoulder] DO IT! You know you want to! Just don't drool on it.
Whack that angel off your left shoulder, and go with the devil on your right. I have my Aura for four days now...upgraded from a Kobo Glo, and I really happy with my new toy. I much prefer the softer (non-blue light) on my Aura, and I am astonished that I can read easily on a much smaller font size than I was comfortable on my Glo. I am using Avenir New, not sure which font level...but several steps smaller than on my Glo. I really liked my Glo, but I am so happy that I upraded it for the Aura. It is really good to have the extra screen real estate to play with, and I found that by increasing the weight of the font, I could use a smaller font size and still maintain the wider margins and line spacing that works for me and still have more lines per screen than on my Glo.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #62
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Did you not understand that the first sentence was a joke and the main paragraph was praising Kobo's UI?
Prestidigitweeze, I wasn't replying to you. Otherwise I would have quoted you.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #63
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I have read that the Aura light is not as blue tinged and can be set dimmer than the Glo light. Can anyone confirm ?
Hi Aceflor, I can confirm that the Aura's lilght is NOT blue tinged (my Glo's was) and also the level of brightness overall is much lower than the Glo, which a very welcome improvement.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #64
Breid
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I actually enjoyed the original Kobo Rocks thread more when it was about why people were enjoying their devices. That thread has taken a turn and is now about font esoterica. I am staking a claim on a new Kobo Rocks thread and hope that it will be used to talk about the things we are enjoying on our Kobo eink devices.
Thank you Taming for reclaiming this thread. While I appreciate that lots of folk like to tweak fonts etc. and they are equally entitled to share their experiences, tips etc. I felt that the previous Kobo Rocks thread had gone way off topic and that a separate thread should have been created for Aura font modification so that power users would have a thread to post in that other modders would find easily and that relative newbie posters, like me, would not feel intimidated by lack of knowledge about what was being discussed.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #65
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Did you not understand that the first sentence was a joke and the main paragraph was praising Kobo's UI?
I suspect Canuck_in_Japan's post was more in the line of a preemptive strike in hopes of keeping this thread from being hijacked by the typographical Cosa Nostra.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 03:06 AM   #66
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
I am staking a claim on a new Kobo Rocks thread and hope that it will be used to talk about the things we are enjoying on our Kobo eink devices.
I bought the first gen Kobo when it came out May 2010. Due to severe gadget lust, I'm now onto my third Kobo device, a Glo. The firmware is often buggy and using a Kobo device isn't always straightforward, but I like how Kobo ereaders often have a pleasant balance of aesthetics and customisation. I love also how Kobo has had an international focus from day one and how the first gen Kobo, no matter its mediocre tech specs, was so incredibly cheap and easily available in retail stores compared to other ereaders at the time. Each generation has usually improved on the previous, and for the moment I'm happy with my Glo.

It's been interesting to watch and speculate on the growth of the company over the past three years, especially when Kobo was bought out by Rakuten. Strange to see in those years that Kobo's presence in the ereader market has grown whilst Sony's and (possibly) B&N's presences appear to be stagnating.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:02 AM   #67
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
The specific discussion was the page number display in the margins, that should show the actual page of the ebook, not the page of the chapter. The Kobo purchased and directly downloaded book I read a few days ago had this page number display in the margin, the .kepub book that I sideloaded via calibre that I am reading right now does not, despite my having the checkbox checked in the Aura's settings.
ah, sorry! About page numbers on the side, at least for the older models, if you go into "Settings" and then "reading settings" in the second page there is a field "show page numbers in the margin", could this be an issue? (EDIT: below the box it states "for some Adobe DRM epub..."))

And, to stay in topic , though I have to confess that my purchase of a Mini was somewhat a forced choice, I am not only now thoroughly in love with it, but I've also just grabbed another for one of my nieces' birthday, with a nice cover on top!

Last edited by paola; 05-04-2013 at 04:39 AM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:27 AM   #68
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
The specific discussion was the page number display in the margins, that should show the actual page of the ebook, not the page of the chapter. The Kobo purchased and directly downloaded book I read a few days ago had this page number display in the margin, the .kepub book that I sideloaded via calibre that I am reading right now does not, despite my having the checkbox checked in the Aura's settings.
That option is for epubs only. The description starts with "For some Adobe EPUBs". The page number is not displayed in the margins for kepubs regardless of whether they come from Kobo or are sideloaded.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #69
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
[Angel on my left shoulder] You don't *need* an Aura HD, your Touch is working very well for you

[Devil on my right shoulder] DO IT! You know you want to! Just don't drool on it.
I know those angels They surely can be in Canada and in France at the same time, they're angels after all.
The right one (pun intended) is telling me that an Aura is a good Touch/Mini companion. The bigger one stay at home, the smaller one goes everywhere else Problem solved, we need an Aura.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #70
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The light level can be set dimmer. My Glo does not have the bluish tinge -- at least to my eyes so I can't comment on that.

Regards,
David
The later produced Glo batches use different Led then the first ones, which is more in line with the light color of the Aura.
But the light on the Aura is even better then on those newer GLO's, no shadow cones at all, and very flexible lightlevel controls to hit the sweet spot.

I don't like to call a technology perfect as there is always room for improvement, but atm I wouldn't know how anyone could make the light better.

And for anyone who likes to read a few books/series at the same time and adds regularly new books to his device, the new front page is a godsend.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #71
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
The later produced Glo batches use different Led then the first ones, which is more in line with the light color of the Aura.
But the light on the Aura is even better then on those newer GLO's, no shadow cones at all, and very flexible light level controls to hit the sweet spot.

I don't like to call a technology perfect as there is always room for improvement, but atm I wouldn't know how anyone could make the light better.

And for anyone who likes to read a few books/series at the same time and adds regularly new books to his device, the new front page is a godsend.
Not sure when my Glo was manufactured but the light colour is pretty close that the Aura's.

I loved the new home screen. When I inserted the uSD card into the Aura and it finished processing and all I saw was a item saying 1727 books have been added to your library, I could have sworn I heard a chorus singing. The two books from main memory that I was reading were still visible instead of hunting through the library by recent reads to find them plus touching the new books icon popped up the library sorted by recent reads. It's also handy having the finished books on the screen since when reading a series, I will often pop back to an earlier book to check some oddments.

Other than the lower screen resolution, I wonder why they didn't give that interface to the Glo and Touch since the firmware covers all touch interface Kobos.

Regards,
David
Old 05-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #72
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
David, for my old eyes, some of the book covers do not have enough contrast to be able to see what is actually there. If they had to get any smaller to fit the available real estate on the Glo, the home page would be pretty much unusable for me. I hope they don't migrate that to the older devices.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:15 AM   #73
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
David, for my old eyes, some of the book covers do not have enough contrast to be able to see what is actually there. If they had to get any smaller to fit the available real estate on the Glo, the home page would be pretty much unusable for me. I hope they don't migrate that to the older devices.
Hmmm... It's been a few years since I switched to progressive lenses and a separate pair of reading glasses which are optimized for my normal eyeball/monitor distance.

What I was thinking more of was not duplicating the Aura home screen but enabling some of it's features that can be used by the Touch/Glo/Mini. For example, having a new added books icon replacing the last item on the carousel rather than wiping your current books off the carousel when new books are added. Or possibly having that information replace "Your wishlist is empty" which seems glued to the bottom of my Glo's home screen. Possibly leaving finished books on the carousel until you open new books to replace them instead of grabbing the next unread book.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 05-05-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:36 AM   #74
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
IMO, some covers just aren't designed to be as small as they are on the Aura home screen. I have amazing glasses--they should be for what I pay for new lenses every other year or so--but small low contrast images defeat me. I would forgo some of the information that appears on the tiles and go for larger images, instead.

The features, how the home page behaves, is a real treat. I just can't always tell what book it is.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:43 AM   #75
gouni
Connoisseur
gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
I am at a club in reading, many people of advanced age.

The Kobo brand is the most represented.

Those who have a kobo like me appreciate the many functions and settings.

Many spent the touch to the glo, and regret not.

Fortunately we are caring for new updates, this is a concern at kobo the bugs of the new firmware. Then it is like that, a few make the update, and if too many bug we are back to the old firmware.

But for the firmware it depends of each, there are some who are still in 1.9.17, 2.1.5 others in 2.2 and so, until the last the 2.5.1.

The criticism that I will make it on the Glo.

There are approximately more than 60 Glo in the club and many are too different.

Clear others more screen with screen dark. Patches of yellow lights, with more gray characters. There was even a kobo with micro-scratches on the screen towards Christmas.

Many people who had a machine without brand light bought a kobo Glo.

But for some time there are people amongst us who came with a pocketbook, and this machine is much appreciated.

I like my Glo. Just too blue light in the evening.

The community around kobo is

Last edited by gouni; 05-05-2013 at 01:49 AM.
gouni is offline   Reply With Quote