Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #46
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Oh dear, this is more "Kobo is rocky" rather than "Kobo rocks!".

Last edited by ShellShock; 05-03-2013 at 12:13 PM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I have read that the Aura light is not as blue tinged and can be set dimmer than the Glo light. Can anyone confirm ?
The light level can be set dimmer. My Glo does not have the bluish tinge -- at least to my eyes so I can't comment on that.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #48
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
On dear, this is more "Kobo is rocky" rather than "Kobo rocks!".
For many people here, Kobo trully rocks YMMV
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #49
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
DNSB and davidfor, thank you for the clarification. What I'm not sure about is the original statement that changing the font size, margins, ... changes the total number of pages displayed. I guess I misinterpreted the wording in 93terp's post.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #50
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
What I'm not sure about is the original statement that changing the font size, margins, ... changes the total number of pages displayed.
In a kepub, it does affect the page number. Even a font change will affect the page number
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #51
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
In a kepub, it does affect the page number. Even a font change will affect the page number
But that is the page number for the chapter, and the number of pages for the chapter changes. In kepubs, the total number of pages for the book is never displayed, and the current page for the book is never displayed.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #52
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
But that is the page number for the chapter, and the number of pages for the chapter changes. In kepubs, the total number of pages for the book is never displayed, and the current page for the book is never displayed.
The current page for the book can be displayed in the margin, though this doesn't seem to work for every ebook. It's not working on the sideloaded ePub I'm reading now. (I did load it via calibre and the KoboExtendedTouch plugin). It did work on a book I was reading that last that I purchased and downloaded directly from Kobo.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #53
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The KoboExtendedDriver converts the book into a .kepub.epub. The page numbers are only for .epub books.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #54
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The KoboExtendedDriver converts the book into a .kepub.epub. The page numbers are only for .epub books.
I thought books purchased from Kobo were by default .kepub?
Old 05-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #55
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I thought books purchased from Kobo were by default .kepub?
if you sync with your account or buy straight from your device, you will get a kepub. However you can also download an epub from the Kobo website (in case you want a backup of your purchases), which you can sideload if you prefer the epub. Having said that, I think here we are talking about epub books in general, and whether it is worth koboifing them or not (though in the discussion I might have missed something!)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #56
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Having said that, I think here we are talking about epub books in general, and whether it is worth koboifing them or not (though in the discussion I might have missed something!)
The specific discussion was the page number display in the margins, that should show the actual page of the ebook, not the page of the chapter. The Kobo purchased and directly downloaded book I read a few days ago had this page number display in the margin, the .kepub book that I sideloaded via calibre that I am reading right now does not, despite my having the checkbox checked in the Aura's settings.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #57
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
It has gone a bit off-track from the original topic... Can we maybe start a new thread for the page/kepub/ePub issue?
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #58
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
All of this talk is perfectly lovely, but what about font esoterica?

What I really wanted to say is that Kobo's stock firmware is the least intrusive of any I've used on an e-reader so far. Sony's last series of readers was made great by PRS+, Kindles are best when jail-broken, and Nooks were mostly born to be rooted, but it's nice to be able to use stock FW which is so flexible already. Android would be nice, but aesthetically, I prefer Kobo's environment to Sony's, B&N's and Amazon's (so far).

(If only I could find a screen or full-body protector tailored for the Aura! I'm surprised there haven't been any threads about that.)

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-03-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #59
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
This thread is solely for declaring your love for Kobo. If you do not have a positive impression to post regarding Kobo then stick a sock in it. There are plenty of other available threads or you can make your own for $0.00.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #60
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
LOOK, A VERY LARGE FONT
Did you not understand that the first sentence was a joke and the main paragraph was praising Kobo's UI?
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote