Notices

Old 10-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #331
JoelH
Enthusiast
JoelH began at the beginning.

Device: none
Instapaper on Pocketbook?

Hi
Can you read your Instapaper articles offline, on the Pocketbook reader?
Or is there av way to sync?

If not i suggest implementing support for Instapaper! :-)
Like InstaFetch on Android...

J
JoelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:12 AM   #332
fred13
fred13 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzverde View Post
It would be great if PDF files were treated the same way as EPUB files in the explorer / shelf application.
I'd like to see them sorted automatically by author and genre the same way epub files are. For now, they only show up as 'uncategorized' books when I use those sorting options in the shelf. Only the epub are sorted using the tags I put for them in Calibre before transferring them on the PB. I guess it should be possible for the PB's internal db file to be altered with the relevant keys ? Or is it a problem with the very structure of PDF files ?
... But the sorting thing by authors and genres/tags/labels (whatever you call them) would be really great and helpful.
Three years later this feature doesn't seem to have been implemented ...
This would be really great and helpful.
fred13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2015, 05:24 AM   #333
vmsda
Enthusiast
vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.

Device: Pocketbook
I have recently acquired a PB Ultra, and was surprised to find out that I cannot read and listen to an audiobook (very important, for instance, when learning a foreign language) and be able to control the audio player from the reader screen. If there is really no way at present, this is my wanted feature.
vmsda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:06 AM   #334
Serpico
Enthusiast
Serpico began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
I would love to see web browser font size setting, especially font size increase. The default font size is to small for comfortable reading and the "Zoom" setting does not affect the font size at all.
Serpico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:04 PM   #335
BretSingleton
Enthusiast
BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I would to have a pocket book in my android phone. But i don't know how , I'm a newbie.
BretSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2016, 06:45 AM   #336
mystic
mystic has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mystic has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mystic has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mystic has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mystic has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PB 301+
What I am really really missing, is an option to disable the touch screen while reading.

I use to paginate with the buttons and I don't know how often I accidently touched the screen when putting the ebook aside, or one finger overlapped the screen when grabbing or just holding it, and how often I triggered some unwanted function when this happened.
mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:11 AM   #337
h2g2
h2g2 began at the beginning.

Hi

I had two features on my PB360 that I desperately miss on my new Touch Lux 3 (PB 626). I have last firmware (5.12).

First I cannot find a way to sort books by file name or series instead of book title. As my collection is big, I organize my books by folders, first type (Sci-Fi, Literature, ...) then by Author. Inside a folder, it seems I can only sort by title. This is a real pain because there is no way to see the series.

Second I would like an option to display the current page of the book being read during boot time. This allowed me to start reading without waiting for boot completion, as fast as opening a real book. It was so comfortable not having to wait 10 seconds every time, I now get frustrated not having that feature.
h2g2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:58 AM   #338
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2g2 View Post
First I cannot find a way to sort books by file name or series instead of book title. As my collection is big, I organize my books by folders, first type (Sci-Fi, Literature, ...) then by Author. Inside a folder, it seems I can only sort by title. This is a real pain because there is no way to see the series.
In desperation I have started to put individual books into directories with the name of directory set to display the desired info. I often have the same book in several formats, so I have all those in the same directory. It adds additional directory level, but PocketBook doesn't screw-up the directory names, only [some] filenames when displaying library. Please note, I have previous firmware 4.xy that is screwed less than 5.xy series
I have tag set for all my books in Calibre that are supposed to be on my reader. That way I can compile a catalog for all the books on my reader.
So it was not a problem to set up a new template for saving books to disk
Code:
{author_sort:.1}/{authors}/{series:|# |}/{series_index:0>3s|| - }{title} - {authors}/{series_index:0>3s|| - }{title} - {authors}
Quote:
Second I would like an option to display the current page of the book being read during boot time.
I think this still works in PB626. I have played with a 626 before Christmas, as I was preparing a few units for my friends (installing coolreader and the like) and I would have noticed this missing feature.
Have a better look at the options menu.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:55 AM   #339
brucelee
Addict
brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I think this still works in PB626. I have played with a 626 before Christmas, as I was preparing a few units for my friends (installing coolreader and the like) and I would have noticed this missing feature.
No it can't do that. It's showing an hourglass while booting.
brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:22 PM   #340
pocketbook-user
pocketbook-user began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903
I got some suggestions for the Inkpad 840:

- Additionally to the key-mapping "lock" for pressing the on/off button shortly I would like to have a second lock option, which just disables the touchscreen, but still allows you to read and use the backward/forward-button and does not change the light settings. So you can read without touching the screen accidentally.
This is very important for me!

- The note mode needs an "undo"- and a "leave without save"- button. You can remove the help-button instead, because it surely has no benefits for most of the users.
I also would like to be able to zoom in during the note mode in order to be able to make smaller notes. Of course the previous zoom should be restored, when I get back into the normal read mode.
Btw. I believe the firmware 5.11 has a bug, which puts some of your pencil-notes on the next page, after you have used the eraser. This is a very annoying bug.

I also have some minor wishes:

- The manual margins cropping does not work very well for the buttom line. You have to try it several times before it works.

- I would like to be able change the functions of the touchpad-buttons in the key mapping settings and not only for the real buttons.
For example the spots on the left/right side of the touchpad. I would like to use them to switch a whole page, because for now they just have exactly the same function as the forward/backward-buttons, which sometimes only switch a half page.

- I would like to set different manual margin croppings for each the normal mode and the landscape mode. (However, this is just a very minor issue for me).

Thank you, guys!
pocketbook-user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:21 AM   #341
h2g2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
In desperation I have started to put individual books into directories with the name of directory set to display the desired info. I often have the same book in several formats, so I have all those in the same directory. It adds additional directory level, but PocketBook doesn't screw-up the directory names, only [some] filenames when displaying library. Please note, I have previous firmware 4.xy that is screwed less than 5.xy series
I have tag set for all my books in Calibre that are supposed to be on my reader. That way I can compile a catalog for all the books on my reader.
So it was not a problem to set up a new template for saving books to disk
Code:
{author_sort:.1}/{authors}/{series:|# |}/{series_index:0>3s|| - }{title} - {authors}/{series_index:0>3s|| - }{title} - {authors}
Thanks for the advice. I am not really enchanted with having to rebuild all my directory tree for thousands of books (of course calibre would help), but it would work.

Generally speaking, why does Pocketbook dump useful features on new products and firmwares? They may look for new customer profiles, less power users and more "Apple users", that is "we do not offer choice because we know what is good for you". But I do not believe offering extra features can make the product less attractive.
Not sure if posts on this thread have any influence on Pocketbook developers though.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:27 PM   #342
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Generally speaking, why does Pocketbook dump useful features on new products and firmwares? They may look for new customer profiles, less power users and more "Apple users", that is "we do not offer choice because we know what is good for you". But I do not believe offering extra features can make the product less attractive.
The software for the first model PB301 was designed with input from users at the Russian speaking forum the-ebook.org . Even the CEO of the company took part under the nick The Old man. The PB 301 was a generic device made by Netronix that was also sold by other OEM sellers with different firmware. The case and form of PB 360 was designed with the input from Ukrainian and Russian e-book lovers and it still remains one of best-designed e-ink readers in the world.

So, somebody wrote a software specification - all the features that would be included in a finished software. In the specification there were fantastic things with deep and lasting design impact, like the directory \system\bin where you could place a binary [understand executable program] compiled for the PocketBook 301 or 360 and it would be used instead of the built-in binary. So they made the internal $PATH variable so that the directory you can access as \system\bin when you connect the device to PC is in the first place in the $PATH. So, if you want to replace any program as used by the device, you do not need to hack anything. Just copy it into a directory and you are all set. It was the same with the configuration files. You make a mistake and program doesn't work as desired, simply connect the reader to PC and delete the binary. And they released the Software Development Kit so the community could make interesting things, such as much improved version of FBReader, or even games and Linux terminal emulator. And the PocketBook company even sponsored a competition for the best software.

There was configuration file extensions.cfg you could change and assign different programs to open certain file formats and use that to make the reader to use third-party programs to open your books. And you could choose which program is used to open the individual book. This is partly broken nowadays in the 5.xy firmware.

They are still building on that old system, but the priorities have changed, and I *think* that the old generation of programmers that made legendary firmware for the PB 360 is long gone. And the hardware itself is not manufactured by Netronix manufacturer any longer.

So the company changed their priorities, moved headquarters from Ukraine to Switzerland and the new versions of firmware are more and more different from the "good old system" programmed by a team we used to call "Guys From Kiev".

Please note, that I have no inside knowledge of the company. I am just a veteran e-book user that loved his PB 360 and got engaged a lot in hacking effort with the old generation of devices.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:56 PM   #343
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
My impressions are the same as @kacir's. It's normal for developers/managers to move on and for new blood to come in. The new want to put their own stamp on things. So, I think it is inevitable that the PocketBook system would change over time. My only beef is that the new hasn't always kept things backwards compatible.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:00 AM   #344
h2g2

Another feature that I believe would be nice to have: when browsing a long list of books, long pressing on "next page" or "previous page" respectively changes to last page or first page. In my opinion it would be more flexible to get "10 pages forward" / "10 pages backward". This would also be more consistent with pages commands while reading books.
What do you think? Or is there an option to get that behaviour?
Old 06-30-2017, 01:53 PM   #345
al3bsi
al3bsi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
This is the official wanted features thread for the Pocketbook devices. if you really want a feature in here, just put it in here. As soon as a feature gets five positive votes, the support team will consider it voted for and check with the GfK (Guys from Kiev - our programmers) if such a feature is feasible and will give feedback. Thanks to all active posters!
I want features in pocketbook like onyx box devices ,

it's great and fantastic features to easy read ,Customize pages as you like , Like reading a comic mod, article mod, crop pages, enlarge and minimize the image pages , contrast page, and more.

see this pictures

al3bsi is offline   Reply With Quote