Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #31
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
who was it who said that you are responsible for their own feelings ? "you must OWN your emotions" and all that ? so the real question is, do you WANT to feel badly right now ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #32
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
who was it who said that you are responsible for their own feelings ? "you must OWN your emotions" and all that ? so the real question is, do you WANT to feel badly right now ?
Not really, I was just picking up this vibe...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #33
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #34
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Oh, and thanks for the graphic guide. Even if I don't read them through that way on the first go round, I may on the second. I am quite certain that these are books that will demand a second or third reading.

And .... just checked, it was YOU that made the original recommendation re the film version.

So ....
You are more then welcome.

And if you Enjoyed the Colour of magic and the Light Fantastic, Have your had the chance to watch the Tv adaptation of it?

I'm not sure whether a DVD is available yet, but it was good and worth a watching.

While I personally didn't like it as much HogFather, that has probably goy more to do with what I think of the books as I like the Rincwind from the later books better as opposed to the one in the earlier books, it is still a pretty decent adaptation.

And Cartoon Versions of Soul music and Wyrd sisters are also available, so you might want to check them out.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #35
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I get the feeling that I should be feeling bad about now...
Was the hairshirt and crown of thorns reference too over the top?? Did I punch your guilt button?? Me? I'm feeling great ... got some nice karma from a really guilt-ridden grammar pundit.

(Wanders off mumbling "the word 'to' indicates the use of the objective, as in 'to him' rather than 'to he' with 'he' being the subjective form of the word. Thus, in the example of 'who' (subjective) and 'whom' (objective) the proper use would be 'to whom' rather than 'to who' and by extension 'to whomever' rather than 'to whoever'. Ommmmmmmmmmmm.")

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 07-07-2008 at 02:15 PM.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #36
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
You are more then welcome.

And if you Enjoyed the Colour of magic and the Light Fantastic, Have your had the chance to watch the Tv adaptation of it?
I'm not sure whether a DVD is available yet, but it was good and worth a watching.

While I personally didn't like it as much HogFather, that has probably goy more to do with what I think of the books as I like the Rincwind from the later books better as opposed to the one in the earlier books, it is still a pretty decent adaptation.

And Cartoon Versions of Soul music and Wyrd sisters are also available, so you might want to check them out.
Well, no .... just found out about Terry Pratchett's existence in the world about three days ago.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #37
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia View Post
I wasn't crazy about The Hogfather movie (not that it stopped me from watching it 3 times) but I adore Terry Pratchett. I recommend either Guards! Guards! or Monstrous Regiment for your first (just because those were the first two I read, and they sparked an obsession for all things Pratchett in me.
While I do agree with Guards! Guards! as a first Pratchett book, I do hesitate with Monstrous Regiment. While it does not have a large for Vimes and the watch, a lot of stuff in the book does refer to the earlier books, so it may make it a little difficult to understand sometimes if you haven't read some his earlier work.

But, It does showcase his Talent as a writer that a person can start off with any of the books and get a great deal of enjoyment out of it, even if they have zero knowledge of his previous works. While it may not give as much pleasure as it would have if you had read the previous books, it will still provide more then most books you will find on the shelves of your local bookstore or library.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #38
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Well, no .... just found out about Terry Pratchett's existence in the world about three days ago.

True

I did go on a similar buying spree when I first discovered his books a few years ago, but being a poor student at that time, I could only afford to buy them by spending my book allowance for the next 3 months.

But it was well worth it.

Still, do check them out if you get the chance, they're worth netflixing, if not a definate buy.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
I wouldnt recommend starting with the Rincewind cycle ("Colors of Magic" and "Light fantastic" are good. Just not for all starters )
Dont get me wrong: They are fantastic. I just found some people to better like him if they started with his later works. (And later read (and like) his earlier ones).
I have to disagree. I also think the best reading order is the order they were written. That way you get a good mix and you get to see hwo Pratchett evolves the series over time as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #40
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to disagree. I also think the best reading order is the order they were written. That way you get a good mix and you get to see hwo Pratchett evolves the series over time as well.
That's actually the way I'm reading them ... for no other reason than I am sort of anal that way.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
There are some hilarious short stories also, but I can't find a bibliography to post. It seems like there is a Pratchett story in every other "Best of Year" anthology.
Have a look here for what terry has written.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/terry-pratchett/
Old 07-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia View Post
I wasn't crazy about The Hogfather movie (not that it stopped me from watching it 3 times) but I adore Terry Pratchett. I recommend either Guards! Guards! or Monstrous Regiment for your first (just because those were the first two I read, and they sparked an obsession for all things Pratchett in me.
I did recently finish Guards! Guards! and really enjoyed it. It was sort of frustrating as I wanted to whack some of the characters for not getting it. In the end they sort of get it. Now the next one will be Eric.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #43
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

I may have to buy "Where's my Cow?" simply because I have a huge collection of cows and cow "stuff." I don't know why, exactly, I just do ... 100s of cows.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #44
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Oh, the angst of it all. The grammatical discord! The social discord! I just couldn't stand it!

So I took certain comments as a hint and made portions of the middle of this thread Unutterably Silly because now they refer to a non-error.

I like the witches and Death best. I think the first one I read through was The Wee Free Men (excellent) and the first non-Tiffany one was Mort. I still haven't gone back and read the Rincewind books. I've picked my way through the Witches and Death books using Wikipedia. No regrets.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #45
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Oh, the angst of it all. The grammatical discord! The social discord! I just couldn't stand it!

So I took certain comments as a hint and made portions of the middle of this thread Unutterably Silly because now they refer to a non-error.

I like the witches and Death best. I think the first one I read through was The Wee Free Men (excellent) and the first non-Tiffany one was Mort. I still haven't gone back and read the Rincewind books. I've picked my way through the Witches and Death books using Wikipedia. No regrets.
ACK!! But, now I look like a total idiot for rambling on about my inability to be grammatically correct. Will the humiliation never stop?? Must fate bash me about the head with a dead cod every day of my life???

(Stay tuned for our next episode of "As the Armadillo Turns")

Tags
terry pratchett, unutterable silliness