Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
RossK
RossK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle v4
How to navigate

I deal primarily with MOBI. How can I have a front TOC and still go from the end of an ebook to the beginning without a lot of key banging? Is this just something ebooks can't do? Something MOBI can't do?

Is it possible to put a TOC at both the beginning and the end?
RossK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I've seen epubs with the TOC at the front, and then each chapter title has a link back to the TOC page. Would that work for you? You could also put "The End" at the very last page and link it back to the TOC as well. Not sure how to edit mobi files directly, but if you changed the epub in Sigil to link back to the TOC as I said, then just convert it to mobi, the links will stay (I know I've done it, but I'll have to look through my books to even find which ones had the links back to the TOC if you need examples of the code).

Edit: Here's a sample:
Code:
This links from the TOC page to the final "Epilogue", kept as created by Sigil:
<div class="sgc-toc-level-1">
    <a href="../Text/Section0005.html#sigil_toc_id_51">EPILOGUE</a>
</div>

This links from the final "Epilogue" title back to the TOC at the front of the book, this keeps the title as a header:
<h4 class="sgc-toc-level-1 sgc-6"><a href="../Text/TOC.html#sigil_toc_id_52">EPILOGUE</a></h4>
Just remember to give it a new ID# that hasn't already been used. Here I assigned 52 since 51 was the last used number for Epilogue.

You could probably just stick another TOC at the back of the book if you'd prefer, just copy the TOC.html contents into a new file but name it TOC2.html.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 11-15-2012 at 03:45 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I don't know about v4 Kindles, but on a v3 just use the features built into the Kindle itself - Menu -> Go to -> beginning. Better than faffing with hyperlinks.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I don't know about v4 Kindles, but on a v3 just use the features built into the Kindle itself - Menu -> Go to -> beginning. Better than faffing with hyperlinks.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote