Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Kobo Glo XGA means 1024x768, same e-ink as PW. Backlighting layer is similar.

As far as I can see, the tradeoff between Kobo Glo and Kindle PW is that the Kobo offers much better control over fonts, sizes, and stroke darkness, while the PW has a web browser that the Glo lacks.

For me I'm seriously squashed between rock and hard place on these two readers.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #17
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I read somewhere that the lighting tech used on the Kobo Glo is the same as the Nook Glowlight, is this the same as the Kindle Paperwhite?

I've read nothing about any change to the touch-screen on the Kobo Glo, so I assume it's still using the infrared tech they've all used up to now, so it's only the Kindle Paperwhite that has changed to the presumably superior capacitive touch-screen?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #18
ijdod
ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
At a guess the technology for the lighting is the same, but the actual quality of implementation may be different.

As I understand it, the capacitive touchscreen is technically better, but requires an additional layer on the screen. Early Sony e-readers had this. This affected the clarity of the screen. How this affects the PW remains to be seen.
ijdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmurph View Post
So even if it had no light, the display is still greatly improved over the KT.
Amazon say that the screen has 25% greater contrast than the previous generation of Pearl screens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdod View Post
At a guess the technology for the lighting is the same, but the actual quality of implementation may be different.

As I understand it, the capacitive touchscreen is technically better, but requires an additional layer on the screen. Early Sony e-readers had this. This affected the clarity of the screen. How this affects the PW remains to be seen.
A capacitive touch screen is a layer of a completely transparent "paint" on the surface of the screen. It's a totally different thing to the resistive touch screen that the older Sony's had. That was a physical layer of quite thick material on top of the screen, and significantly degraded the screen readability. Capacitive screens don't do that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #21
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
And that is straight from eInk, that makes the same claim.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

One of the earlier Sony's also used a layer to create lighting. I think it was the PRS-700(?). It was a big failure as it definitely made the text harder to read. They also introduced a special light cover that used a flip down layer of clear plastic that created the light similar to how the 700 did. I had one for my 600 I believe and it to was terrible. I never saw the 700, but the 600 with lighted clear plastic cover was a headache inducer. But this was a few years ago and it looks like Amazon has done it without these side effects.

BTW, both the 600 and 700 used the older, lesser contrast pre-Pearl eInk screens.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-09-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
From the Kobo specs, it does sound like Kobo went with the plastic backed XGA screen from LG. There is no indication if the screen Amazon is using is glass or plastic backed. But, they are both the same resolution/DPI and both have a lighter background then the previous 800x600 pearl screen. Even the new T2 is said to have a lighter background even though it's still 800x600.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
One of the earlier Sony's also used a layer to create lighting. I think it was the PRS-700(?). It was a big failure as it definitely made the text harder to read. They also introduced a special light cover that used a flip down layer of clear plastic that created the light similar to how the 700 did. I had one for my 600 I believe and it to was terrible. I never saw the 700, but the 600 with lighted clear plastic cover was a headache inducer. But this was a few years ago and it looks like Amazon has done it without these side effects.
The 700 had LEDs along the sides. It waent screen, LEDs, touch layer. It was a real mess and it showed. With the light off, it was not good.

The lightwedge cover was for the 505 only. It caused the 505 to be rather heavy. Also, the contrast was not so good with the light layer on top of the screen. Again, it was awful.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #25
ijdod
ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A capacitive touch screen is a layer of a completely transparent "paint" on the surface of the screen. It's a totally different thing to the resistive touch screen that the older Sony's had. That was a physical layer of quite thick material on top of the screen, and significantly degraded the screen readability. Capacitive screens don't do that.
Ah, I stand corrected. Had them mixed up.
ijdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #26
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmurph View Post
I believe that's correct. This was a concern of mine, also, so I searched the internet for some good photos. According to one of the techies at the event who had hands-on experience (and a really good closeup photo he supplied), the PW's bezel is nice and flat, same depth as the K4 and KK. Yay, no more shadows

As for the display, it's definitely e-ink. The screen always looks so white in most of the photos. But what I've been itching to know, is what it looks like without the light on.

Well, I finally found a closeup shot of a side-by-side comparison of the KT and the PW with the light OFF. Much to my surprise, the color/shade of the PW's screen is no different from the Touch. So it's the light that makes it look "white"...which I'm actually grateful for, because it allows me to decide just how white I want it.

Side by side comparison of KT & PW (w/light off)

As you can see, even though the PW's background is the same greyish color as the KT (with the light off), the fonts themselves are definitely improved...noticeably darker and crisper. So even if it had no light, the display is still greatly improved over the KT.

Hmm, paperwhite looks papergrey there. Not feeling it now.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #27
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Notoriously hard to compare brightness side by side. All kinds of distractions come into play, different light angle, different color bezel, etc. Would like to see a square of each cut out and compared without anything else to interfere.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Hmm, paperwhite looks papergrey there. Not feeling it now.
Currently, there is no eink display with a white background. The light just gives it the effect of being white.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
Notoriously hard to compare brightness side by side. All kinds of distractions come into play, different light angle, different color bezel, etc. Would like to see a square of each cut out and compared without anything else to interfere.
I just cut a but out of each screen in the photo and the new screens are lighter.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #30
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I suspect that the early batches of new kindles will use much higher quality control, so they get a lot of great reviews. Later, as demand picks up, they can start shipping the lower quality displays that are still "good enough" for most people.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote