Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 04:41 AM   #1
Sony Reader
Sony Reader began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Loosing Bookmarks and Last Page Read.

Hi All,

Myself and my wife have a Sony PRS 505 and an Elonex EB 600 and I'm using Calibre with them both. I've been losing the Last Page Read and bookmarks for a while on both devices. After a little bit of playing around it seems as though calibre could be the cause but I can't prove it.

I don't want to raise ticket and put you to a lot of trouble if the problem is with me so can you give me some pointers please as I am happy to put some effort in before raising ticket.

Calibre is used on a daily basis for downloading newspapers and then loading to each device, it is after this action that we notice that the bookmarks have been lost.

David.
Sony Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
while it's conceivable (though unlikely) that your book marks and last read on a sony could be destroyed by calibre, as calibre writes to the XML database that stores this information on SONY 505, on an EB600 all calibre does is copy files, exactly the same as would happen if you were copying the file using windows explorer.

I would look for some other commonality, perhaps old and malfunctioning SD cards.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
Sony Reader
Sony Reader began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Thanks Kovid

I'll carry on digging,

David.
Sony Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
erikwillke
erikwillke began at the beginning.

Device: Libre Reader Pro
I, too, have been losing my bookmarks and last page read, but only on books converted from LIT to EPUB. The only program I use is Calilbre. The books that I've downloaded in EPUB are behaving fine. All these books are kept on the same SD card.

I am using a Libre Ereader Pro. I'm wondering if it's something I'm not checking during conversion or something to do with the fact that it is coming from LIT.

Please advise.
erikwillke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That information is not carried over during the conversion.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
erikwillke

I know. I meant after I converted it, loaded to reader, then read, then bookmarked. once I back out of the book and open another then go back to the original the bookmark is lost.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you should open a ticket and attach an epub file demonstrating the problem.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
erikwillke

submitted.

Last edited by erikwillke; 01-17-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you are talking about switching books on the reader device, then if it fails to remember the bookmarks, etc I would have thought that was a deficiency in the reader firmware?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
erikwillke

except that it only happens on books I've converted with Calibre.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikwillke View Post
except that it only happens on books I've converted with Calibre.
By any chance are there spaces in the file name?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #12
erikwillke

Yes. Significance? would you suggest underscores or no spaces at all?

Last edited by erikwillke; 01-17-2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #13
erikwillke

I sent a copy of both books to kovidgoyal and he wrote back that they were both converted with Calibre but the one I converted had spaces in the id attributes in the OPF file.

I'll look into that and try changing the file names.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikwillke View Post
Yes. Significance? would you suggest underscores or no spaces at all?
That was a problem with My "Pocket EZ"
Underscores fixed the problem (never bothered to confirm that it had been fixed in later releases). I have Calibre set save to Disk to use lower case and underscore replacement on send
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #15
erikwillke

Thank you. Will try that.