Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #1096
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Offer a page turn tap zone that is almost entirely page forward -- the new one on 3.11 is not nearly large enough (bottom third of screen; should be at least bottom two-thirds). It's easy enough to swipe when you want to page backwards.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:44 AM   #1097
Pliny
Pliny began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
And what about evernote support?
or at LEAST a notation function and checklist functionality.
Pliny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #1098
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
There is no pissibility to sync my 2 readers in a way that the one upstairs knows where the one downstairs has stopped.
So when I stop reading upstairs I use Google Note and write down the page where I ended.
Downstairs I open it again,and then navigate to the page where I stopped upstairs.
Have you ever tried with the slider to search a specific page in a 500 pages book,even when you touch the slider the pages are flying so you have to try to get most near and then touch the screen in the book to go to the actual page.
It drives you crazy,why is there not a way to type in the page number ??
I would request for such an option ! (epubs)
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #1099
Bandi-T
Bandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheese

Device: K3gb, Kobo Aura HD
custom sleep screens, please

I would like to have custom sleep screens (screen savers).

Two ways I would suggest this to be done:
  • More development for Kobo, but end-user customizable out of the box: designate a directory that is user-visible when connecting the reader to a computer through USB for sleep screens, to be filled up by PNG files by the user; then display a random one every time the device goes to sleep; if the directory is empty or missing, display the default sleep screen.
  • Less development for Kobo, needs the user to load a hack: call (e.g. popen() ) a designated script/binary, expecting a full path to a file on stdout for a PNG to be displayed on screen when the device goes to sleep; if the returned filename cannot be opened or the script is missing or errors out, display the default sleep screen.

In both cases, please allow the PNG to be displayed in its entirety as it is, and do not caption/cover it with "sleeping" or any other text or graphic (or at least provide the option to turn that off). Also, when the pixel dimensions match the screen exactly, please be careful to skip any resizing or other modification operations and put pixel values into the frame buffer exactly as they appear in the file, to keep the high-quality pre-dithering of images where this was applied intact.
Bandi-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #1100
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
So when I stop reading upstairs I use Google Note and write down the page where I ended.
Possible work around for you (a little more work involved): instead of writing down the page, why not write down a 3 or 4 word phrase from the page you're on and do a search on that on the other device. You should be able to pick something that doesn't repeat much and it will get you right to the page rather than having to page through to get where you want.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #1101
richardl
richardl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Busy indicator

If there are going to be long delays during page turns (etc), especially on PDFs, then some sort of busy indicator is essential. I think the best way to achieve this would be a busy light on the front.

As a proud Kobo owner I'm worried about the damage caused to the sellability of the device. When you show it someone, or someone sees you using it, and you are left staring at a blank screen simply because you are unsure whether it is waiting for you to do something or it is genuely busy they must be thinking it is poor product despite had good it is.

Last edited by richardl; 11-21-2014 at 09:42 PM. Reason: additional info
richardl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:35 AM   #1102
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardl View Post
If there are going to be long delays during page turns (etc), especially on PDFs, then some sort of busy indicator is essential. I think the best way to achieve this would be a busy light on the front.
What's wrong with using the "booting" light at the top? Plus, expand the feature to cover opening books, opening a collection...pretty much anything that could involve a delay, really. Code the light to flash once a second during any task where the CPU is busy, starting at the end of the first second of that task, and it'd pretty much take care of itself.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:26 AM   #1103
carolinj
carolinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carolinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carolinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carolinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carolinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carolinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carolinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carolinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carolinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carolinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carolinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2o
better dictionaries

The German-English dictionary is a joke!
carolinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:43 AM   #1104
yack33
yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: KOBO GLO
Exclamation SUDOKU

SUDOKU game:

-All numbers are in bold now whereas before only the beginning grid numbers were fat, put numbers were normal font.

-Application Of canceling the latest hits.

@+
kobo glo v3.11.0
yack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:50 AM   #1105
yack33
yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: KOBO GLO
Smile Search Engine KOBO

Search Engine KOBO :
the latter to list the compliant websites with the integrated browser
and with possibility to kobo users to suggest new websites

Last edited by yack33; 12-01-2014 at 02:53 AM.
yack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #1106
Oldu
Oldu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Dictionary

It would be great to have :

(1) The possibility to enlarge the size of the definitions in the dictionary
(1a) The prononciation of the words
(2) The possibility to use StarDict dictionaries
(3) The possibility to use Wiktionaries or wikipedia as an offline dictionary (with stardict ?)
(4) The possibility to have direct access to some definitions in internet (like linguee, webster website)
(5) Improve the possibility to highlight several words, which is very uncomfortable today

(FW : 3.11)

Last edited by Oldu; 12-01-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Oldu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:11 AM   #1107
Geargrinder
Geargrinder began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
My wishlist is simple: More options for sorting your books!
I want to be able to say that a certain book is #3 in the series, and then when I navigate to said series (as a shelf) I want the books to be displayed in the order of the series. Not by author, recent, date added or anything.
Geargrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #1108
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geargrinder View Post
My wishlist is simple: More options for sorting your books!
I want to be able to say that a certain book is #3 in the series, and then when I navigate to said series (as a shelf) I want the books to be displayed in the order of the series. Not by author, recent, date added or anything.
That'd be lovely, but EPUB 2 has no way to indicate that. EPUB 3 does, but good luck seeing publishers actually USE that feature...

Basically, the solution Right Now is to hack the metadata. I usually hack the title to read "(series) (place): (title)" - as in "Lord of the Rings 2: The Two Towers." Only works on DRM-free books, though.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #1109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
That'd be lovely, but EPUB 2 has no way to indicate that. EPUB 3 does, but good luck seeing publishers actually USE that feature...

Basically, the solution Right Now is to hack the metadata. I usually hack the title to read "(series) (place): (title)" - as in "Lord of the Rings 2: The Two Towers." Only works on DRM-free books, though.
How does changing the title of an ePub only work if there is no DRM?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:44 PM   #1110
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How does changing the title of an ePub only work if there is no DRM?
Reading the title information from the metadata in the epub file, modifying it and writing it back?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo