sciurius doesn't littersciurius doesn't litter

Device: PC
Question (viewer) Erroneous break on quote

In one of my ebooks, I have the following snippet of XHTML:

<p>‘Het eten natuurlijk,’ zei ze. ‘Wat dacht je dan?’</p>
<p>‘Dat was lekker,’ zei ik.</p>
<p>‘Is dat alles wat je ervan vond? Alleen maar lekker?’</p>
<p>‘Het was heel goed,’ zei ik. ‘Het was heerlijk.’</p>

The quotes used for the dialogues are the UTF-8 representations of &lsquo; and &rsquo; respectively. Using the entities instead of the literal characters does not make a difference.

On screen, depending on the display width, the viewer breaks the 3rd line between the question mark and the quote. See http://www.squirrel.nl/pub/xfer/ebook01.png. This is not desired. How can I avoid this?

The viewer is from Calibre 0.7.24 running on Windows XP SP2. I can also reproduce this with the viewer on Linux and with Sigil. I haven't been able to reproduce this with FireFox.
sciurius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That woul be a bug in the Qt webkit rendering engine common to the calibre viewer and Sigil. As far as I know, there is no easy fix for this. Normally I'd have told you to enable the hyphenation in the calibre viewer, but another bug in Qt webkit means that soft hyphens are not rendered at a line break, which makes hyphenation useless.

ou just have to wait for Nokia to get around to fixing these bugs (which were reported to them over two years ago).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert