Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Health concerns - Reading on LCD's

I am worrying that reading on LCD devices suck as Iphones or IPASD may destroy your eyes after a few years.

What is it exactly that is so bad about viewing a backlit screen ? If the backlight is low enough, is it just as healthy as E-INK ?

Could long term eye health be the weak point of all these devices ?
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Reading on an LCD is no more likely to destroy your eyes than reading a paper book, watching tv or doing any other activity involving your eyes.

People have been looking at LCD screens for over 20 years now and there are no reports of people going blind or suffering eye damage.

I sold my e-ink reader because the low contrast caused a lot of eyestrain that I don't experience using the iPad.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Useful info, since my own visual problems demand good contrast (I have an iPod Touch en route).
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I have bad eyes, but am forced to look at a monitor screen all day, since I'm a programmer. I don't like reading, per se, on the monitor, though. I think it is the difference in contrast, or something. I know the backlighting makes floaters much more obvious, and therefore more annoying.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I've edited for about two decades on backlit screens. During that time, I've worked with hundreds of people and not heard about backlighting being a problem. We did have a bunch of repetitive stress injury cases and such, but that has tapered off with improved ergonomics and awareness.

In addition to working full time on backlit screens, I've read for leisure on backlit screens for hours at a time, starting in the mid-1990s. No problems.

My husband is an IT guy who has worked on backlit screens for nearly 25 years without problems. He also is on his computers for hours daily away from work.

Your mileage might vary, of course.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 01:41 AM   #6
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
I actually just bought a new kindle as I do get more headaches with the iPad I find the new kindle is sharper than the iPad but it might just be me
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
cleanskin
cleanskin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Cavi, you make a good point about pixel density. When you can see the pixel structure (screen door effect), your brain is constantly trying to filter it out as you read the images on the screen. This leads to fatigue more than the high contrast or screen brightness. I would not want to read on an iPad for very long, however the iPod Touch 4 with the Retina screen is a joy to read on. The only disadvantage is the small screen size. I owned a Kindle DX, but returned it within the 30 day period because the lack of contrast and the gray background made it difficult to read without lots of ambient light. It was even to my surprise when I received the iPod Touch 4 that the pixel dense Retina screen actually provides a superior reading comfort to e-ink technology.
cleanskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
holterzoff
Connoisseur
holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kindle3w, Ipad, iphone4
Hi cleanskin, i think you're flat on right about the pixel density. I actually recognized that I enjoy reading on the iphone4 a lot more in the last time than on the iPad. It is a better reading experience. So let' s hope for a retina iPad as that would be the ultimate e-reader. Cheers
holterzoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I have been using an LCD for years and years now. I still have perfect vision and I'm 32.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:02 AM   #10
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I have been using an LCD for years and years now. I still have perfect vision and I'm 42.

Just finished surfing the web and watching a 3 hour movie, all in all 5 hours of continuous staring at my laptop screen and still no eye-strain. Reading from paper books makes my eyes watery, specially when I read lying down. I stopped using my iLiad long time ago because of low contrast. iPad is a far better reading experience than epaper.
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
I've been spending more than 3 hours daily in front a screen of some sort for 2 decades.
My eyesight has actually improved according to my last check-up.

And I'm also one of those who opt for an iPad over my eink-readers (which are now used by my other half)
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #12
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I actually use both, for different reasons. The iPad is better when I'm doing something that requires taking notes, like research projects. Or when I'm reading back logs of blogs, comics and the like. My Sony is so much nicer for longer amounts of pleasure reading, and is usually device #1 when looking at taking a vacation.

I find the e-Ink of the Sony at 160 PPI better than the 130 PPI of the iPad for raw text which is part of it. The simplicity of something that looks like paper helps as well, my eyes don't have quite the crisis in different light conditions that require me to tweak and adjust the backlight every so often.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote