Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 01:39 AM   #1
dminoz
Enthusiast
dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Sony PRS-650
A nice font for the 650

After a bit of experimentation, I've found what I consider to be a good font for reading on the 650. It's Minion Pro Semibold, and you can see it here:

http://dminoz.posterous.com/on-the-m...r-the-sony-650

Great font; dark, readable, attractive...

...plus I've used the post to outline the process of using your own fonts on the Reader. I know this has been the subject of a few posts here already, but it can't hurt to have the info out there... If anyone can see any glaring omissions, please let me know...

I've had my Reader for over a week now, and I think I can feel a "So I've had my Reader for a week now..." post coming on...
dminoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
That looks very nice ! I've haven't experimented with the fonts on my sony reader yet, but I think I'm going to give it a try tonight. That is, if I can find time in my already crammed schedule

Last edited by Iridal; 10-11-2010 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Typo
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:32 AM   #3
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminoz View Post
After a bit of experimentation, I've found what I consider to be a good font for reading on the 650. It's Minion Pro Semibold, and you can see it here:

http://dminoz.posterous.com/on-the-m...r-the-sony-650

Great font; dark, readable, attractive...

...plus I've used the post to outline the process of using your own fonts on the Reader. I know this has been the subject of a few posts here already, but it can't hurt to have the info out there... If anyone can see any glaring omissions, please let me know...

I've had my Reader for over a week now, and I think I can feel a "So I've had my Reader for a week now..." post coming on...
K for you for this post, have been thinking of changing the font but could not remember how... Thanks !
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Speaking of readability, have folks found adjusting the contrast on new devices helpful at all?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Check out this post. Looks like it can be quite useful for scanned PDFs.

|
v

igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
I don't use the contrast feature of the 650 but I rarely have poorly scanned pdf's to read from either. In terms of fonts, I chose to use caecilia. I went with:
Caecilia Bold = Standard
Caecilia Heavy = Bold
Caecilia Bold Italic = Italic
Caecilia Heavy Italic = Bold Italic

You can see below is what that looked like on my 505 (it looks even better on the 650):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4143.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	59690  
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
ugh... no matter now hard i try, i simply can not change fonts on my 350!!
I follow all the directions precisely, but still no luck!! The book seems to be converting, but on the reader the font does not change.
Also, the testing for font changes is such a labourious task with converting, moving the book to device, ejecting device, waiting for it to load etc etc... is there a shorter way of checking whether the font has been changed prior to disconnecting the reader?

Using Windows 7, Firefox and calibre.
Can anyone direct me to some REALLY good guide and discussion of changing fonts?

thanks! I am getting sooo frustrated!!
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #8
dminoz
Enthusiast
dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyPants View Post
I follow all the directions precisely, but still no luck!! The book seems to be converting, but on the reader the font does not change.
Also, the testing for font changes is such a labourious task with converting, moving the book to device, ejecting device, waiting for it to load etc etc... is there a shorter way of checking whether the font has been changed prior to disconnecting the reader?
Hmm, thoughts:
a) Case sensitivity in path/filenames?
b) Have you tried with more than one file? I found that the fix didn't work with one EPUB, simply because the formatter must have used a different name for the body text.

If you like, email me a file that isn't converting properly, and I"ll have a look at it.

/D
dminoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Interesting thread and thanks for the information about how to change the fonts.

I was just wondering, though, when we get the epub file from whatever bookseller we use, does the epub file already specify a font, or is it just coded to use whatever font is on the ereader? If the font is already specified in the .epub itself or the .lrf, or .rtf or whatever file, are there certain fonts that are standardized by publisher? If so, it would seem that we would just have to add the standard fonts to the the ereader and it should default to whatever is contained in the .epub (or whatever) file.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:04 AM   #10
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

SmartyPants - there may be some small issues that are causing your troubles:

1. sometimes the font is not able to be displayed properly by the sony reader. sometimes it is easier to try someone else's font that you know works and then substitute your own. one example of this is the font format ie ttf vs otf.
2. the css code needs to be perfect - any spelling errors and it won't work
3. often, calibre has problems overwriting the css of the original file, if so, then choose the tweak epub option in calibre, delete the css file in the opened epub folder, and recompress it in calibre, followed by a reconversion to epub with your css override.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:06 AM   #11
slantybard
my parent's oops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Interesting thread and thanks for the information about how to change the fonts.

I was just wondering, though, when we get the epub file from whatever bookseller we use, does the epub file already specify a font, or is it just coded to use whatever font is on the ereader? If the font is already specified in the .epub itself or the .lrf, or .rtf or whatever file, are there certain fonts that are standardized by publisher? If so, it would seem that we would just have to add the standard fonts to the the ereader and it should default to whatever is contained in the .epub (or whatever) file.
This can be a total pain in the a$$. Often the purchased epubs will have css already which if made by indesign, can mess up calibre's conversion. You almost always have to delete the css file in the bought epub and then convert from epub to epub in calibre. This has been made much easier with the tweak epub option of calibre.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:58 AM   #12
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Thanks all for replies! I will persevere and try again taking your suggestions into account.

Dminoz, its not just one book or one font... tried several. I think something is not right with the coding when i copy it from the template and replace the font names.

This is the template i use (where Arial is replaced by the required font name):

@font-face {
font-family: "Arial";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/arial.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/arialbd.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: normal;
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/ariali.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/arialbi.ttf);
}

body {
}

Downloaded fonts obvioulsy go into 'fonts' folder in my reader. Tried both .ttf and .otf fonts.

Does that look right to your guys?
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
k.rad
k.rad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
I've had my 650 for a few weeks now and I quite like the standard epub font (especially after I've resized it in Calibre), but the pseudo italics did annoy me a little in the book I just finished, so I decided to give this a try.

I managed to change the font for the main text okay, but chapter headings and intro quotes are still in the default font and bodgy italics on the book I tweaked. Anyone know why this is happening?

And BTW, SmartyPants, that code looks fine. One thing that threw me at first though was that I didn't have 'Data' written in there ( res:///Data/fonts/ ). 'Data' should not be a directory on your Reader, but it needs to be in the code (I hope that makes sense :-)

Last edited by k.rad; 10-12-2010 at 08:39 AM.
k.rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyPants View Post

Using Windows 7, Firefox and calibre.
Can anyone direct me to some REALLY good guide and discussion of changing fonts?

thanks! I am getting sooo frustrated!!
I attached a detailed document I wrote on the whole process. (I found the MR thread so convoluted and drawn out over multiple pages that I wrote down the steps into a document.) There is more involved than changing the CSS in calibre. I hope this helps.

Also, if the CSS in the ePub has a font-family defined somewhere other than the BODY tag, then this trick won't work. It is not uncommon to find a font-family defined for a P tag or a DIV tag. You can open the CSS file and search for "font-family" to see if there are definitions in tags other than the BODY tag. If so you can either delete those definitions in the ePub CSS file or override each one during conversion with calibre. If you cannot open the CSS file try adding an override to the P tag as well as the BODY tag:

body { font-family: "Arial"; }
p { font-family: "Arial"; }

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Adding-Fonts-to-a-Sony-Reader.pdf (381.8 KB, 616 views)

Last edited by jswinden; 10-12-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #15
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Great font, OP!

I'm currently using one of the Gentium fonts (I believe Book Basic):
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...=Gentium_basic

They are very good, but I might switch to yours when I get my 350 or 650 just to change it up.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font, fonts