Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
My (new) Sony 505 back up has arrived.

Normally, I'm not loyal to a brand or particular device, but I love my Sony 505 so much, I wanted to be able to replace it with the exact same thing if it died.

When Sony stopped making them, I got a bit uneasy, especially when online shops started showing it "out of stock". I ended up going to eBay where their numbers are also dwindling. "shopintheusa" sent me one for $342.40AUD including freight. Since then "shopintheusa" have raised their prices, and have fewer Sony 505's for sale.

I was a bit hesitant about getting a back-up. It's hard to justify spending money to back up a gadget that's been working perfectly for two years.

I have heaps of electronic gear that has lasted yonks - my TV and VCR are over 12 years old, my I-River 40GB mp3 player is 5 years old. I've got a 5 year old notebook and tablet. I haven't any concern about these items. The only other back up I have is a hoard of 100watt incandescent light bulbs (no longer sold in Australia).

But, as soon as the parcel arrived this morning and I was holding that brand new Sony in my hands, I knew I had done the right thing getting it. Now I no longer fret about (old) Sony breaking. I can take it on buses and trains and trams and planes, and throw it around and not worry. Its brand new replacement is sitting safe in a cupboard at home, just waiting to take over.

Like they say in the commercials:

"Sony 505 - $342. Peace of mind - priceless."
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Just insure that you charge it on a semi-regular basis so that there is no fear of it taking a charge when it replaces your other unit. I have a spare as well and charge it at least once every three months at the most and it work fine. That unit is always in sleep mode.

I also bough another unit as a present for someone today for $98.00 in the states and if it does not work out as a present then I will regulary charge that one as well.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert