Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #1
pcptheorem
pcptheorem began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 7 basic
Alternate browser to download pdfs

Hi,

I've Kindle 7 (bought last week) basic version, Firmware 5.6.

I was wondering if there was a browser I could install to be able to download and read pdfs off the internet?

Preferably something that doesn't involve jailbreaking (I heard that amazon bricked jailbroken kindles...)

Thanks
pcptheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Without jailbreaking, no.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #3
pcptheorem
pcptheorem began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 7 basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
Without jailbreaking, no.
I see. What's the best browser for this w/ jailbreaking?

Also I read that the headline was misleading and that the firmware update didn't actually brick the kindles? What really happened?
pcptheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #4
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
I don't know which would be the best for you; I do not have a kindle that is supported.

Basically if you have fw 5.6 you can not jailbreak your kindle without popping it open.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:59 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcptheorem View Post
I see. What's the best browser for this w/ jailbreaking?

Also I read that the headline was misleading and that the firmware update didn't actually brick the kindles? What really happened?
See: How accurate is this? "Amazon Quietly Bricked Jailbroken Kindle Devices Last Year"
Bottom line -- sensationalist bottom-feeders. Kindles != FireTV.

As long as you are comfortable peeling open the casing to run the jailbreak over the serial port, you will be perfectly fine.
Then install skipstone or midori.
Those are the only two -- I favor skipstone since it is lighter.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
browser, kindle 7, pdf