Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 04:36 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
user stupidity protection suggestion

I would like Calibre to help me guard against overwiting a "good" conversaion with a bad one due to poor search replace or structure detect parameters.

Here is how I think it could work - simply ???

before the convert book output routine overwrites an existing epub, mobi... it renames any existing file to a nonsense extension, say ebak, mbak.

that backup is not part of the library database - it is accessible only via open path / view folder - for manual retrieval & renaming.

the check library integrity routines could either be set to ignore those file types , or could report them for occasional manual deletes.

thus no need to code much at all really just do what word / excel etc do when saving a file with "keep backups" set.

I appreaciate i can do this manually -go to view path, copy file , paste ( thus creating a copy of.... file ), then do the conversion, but it would be nice to have it automated.

I am wanting it for conversions to those 2 types but it could be generalised, and arguably it could also be used within add/ merge books process
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
This is actually more complicated than you think. If Calibre's database isn't aware of the backup then it will be deleted as soon as you tweak the book title or author. Agree that it would be nice though. If the book is already in decent shape I always do this manually for same source to same source conversions - just hit the 'O' button, which will open the window in a file manager, and duplicate the source file, and then run the conversion. I also keep a backup of all my files online, so if something went awry I could always restore from there.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 02:49 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
This is actually more complicated than you think. If Calibre's database isn't aware of the backup then it will be deleted as soon as you tweak the book title or author. Agree that it would be nice though. If the book is already in decent shape I always do this manually for same source to same source conversions - just hit the 'O' button, which will open the window in a file manager, and duplicate the source file, and then run the conversion. I also keep a backup of all my files online, so if something went awry I could always restore from there.
ok - i did not test that, the backups survive "normal" book operations but not author rename. but solution could be to declare a backup folder & have all the .ebak, .mbak etc. dumped in there, unsorted, it is only a safety net after all.

As a new test I opened a containing folder - did copy + paste back on one title to create a copy of.... file. dragged that from it's subfolder into the calibre library main folder. then did author rename & also library check.

the copy of... file survived both processes & library check reported no errors. now it looks untidy there, but we do keep telling folks never to open calibre library so maybe that's a non-issue.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:13 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
There was recently a thread on this that lead to a ticket requesting an enhancement like this to be opened. As to if, when and how this is going to be implemented, I cannot say.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:52 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

yes I recall that, but that thread got into the complexities of having the backup versions in the books database which I think is not necessary.

I took the methodology of MS office & proposed something similar - with new "backup" extensions for each format. that happens automatically in the background when I work with word & excel files & I don't have to think about it.
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 05:59 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Let me recap: There's a ticket for that. The developers are aware that someone wants that feature. If one of them has the time for it, is plain bored or just wants to implement it, he will. Opening another thread requesting this or adding another ticket won't make it arrive any faster.
Also, the backup method you proposed in here was included in the ticket, if I remember correctly. If it wasn't, add a comment to the ticket suggesting the method.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote