Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Interesting copyright case - Digital music resales

A company buys and resells digital music files. Of course the RIAA wants them to stop.

The outcome could have an impact on ebook sharing/reselling.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-57...sed-downloads/
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I would imagine that the major issue here is that there is no way for the seller to prove that he is not keeping his own duplicate copy, which would be an infringement issue.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I would imagine that the major issue here is that there is no way for the seller to prove that he is not keeping his own duplicate copy, which would be an infringement issue.
Can the RIAA prove the seller is keeping a duplicate copy?

Genuine question: On whom does the burden of proof fall in a case like this? Or is it a moot point because the RIAA will come up with their usual 'you licensed it, you didn't purchase it' defence?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I imagine that lots of issues will arise (including the license v purchase), but the burden of proof in civil infringement cases is NOT "beyond a resaonable doubt." It is, rather "a preponderance of the evidence."

This means that the plaintiff only has to prove that it is 51% likely that there was an infringement (IE that the defendant maintained or has a copy of what he sold stashed somewhere).

ETA: I've not read ANYTHING about this case, I'm just taking shots in the dark here. Legally educated guesses, but just guesses nonetheless.

Last edited by astrangerhere; 11-18-2011 at 11:29 AM.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Just as major an issue is whether we own the material that is being sold in a secondary market. For physical media, the first-sale doctrine has been upheld. But there is a compelling argument that we don't buy the books, we buy a license to put the books on our electronic devices.

Most of us would recognize that we can't buy a single Season Pass to Six Flags and then resell it throughout the community each day based on who needs it.

I look forward to the courts clarifying whether we actually own ebooks and mp3 songs.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post

Genuine question: On whom does the burden of proof fall in a case like this? Or is it a moot point because the RIAA will come up with their usual 'you licensed it, you didn't purchase it' defence?
I think that is what will have to be decided by the courts first. If it turns out that we did buy them, then the issue of retaining copies can be raised. If it ends up that we licensed it, then resale is illegal either way.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Probably the license/purchase defense which may be contained in the super-fine print of the service agreement/ToS/EULA that the original licensee had to agree to.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:

If they can prove they have bought the original file once only and yet sold multiple copies of the file then it is pretty clear they are keeping a copy of it somewhere.

Having said that, as has been mentioned by others, I'm sure this would be only one issue raised and probably far down the chain of relevant issues that need to be resolved.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
This is why I worry about the cd dying and not being replaced. When that happens, I have a feeling that music companies will stop selling DRM free music and try to move to only a streaming model.

I mean, the ease of ripping a cd to an mp3 is pretty much why they had to make the switch. In the early days of the internet they tried selling only DRMed music.

Then again, it's not like most new music is worth buying so probably a moot point.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Just as major an issue is whether we own the material that is being sold in a secondary market. For physical media, the first-sale doctrine has been upheld. But there is a compelling argument that we don't buy the books, we buy a license to put the books on our electronic devices.

Most of us would recognize that we can't buy a single Season Pass to Six Flags and then resell it throughout the community each day based on who needs it.

I look forward to the courts clarifying whether we actually own ebooks and mp3 songs.
There is case law both ways. In Softman v. Adobe, in California, the court ruled that if you pay a single fee and get indefinite use, it's a sale, not a license, and the first sale doctine therefore applies because copyrights are governed by copyright law, not contract law. Other states have rules such licensing restrictions enforceable. It will be years before this gets hammered out, and it may very by state when it is.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #11
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Probably the license/purchase defense which may be contained in the super-fine print of the service agreement/ToS/EULA that the original licensee had to agree to.
Only if the license is enforceable. There are several ways to defend against such claims, such as unconscionable terms, inability to negotiate individual terms, or even a simple claim that copyrights are governed by copyright law, not contract law.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
tsmiller1
tsmiller1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
..., I have a feeling that music companies will stop selling DRM free music and try to move to only a streaming model.
I prefer this anyway. I stopped downloading music files when Spotify came along and made it possible for me to listen to, on demand, pretty much any song I want to for $10/month. I wish ebooks would adopt this model. No more worrying about DRM, or storing my files, or backing them up, etc.
tsmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
This is why I worry about the cd dying and not being replaced. When that happens, I have a feeling that music companies will stop selling DRM free music and try to move to only a streaming model.

I mean, the ease of ripping a cd to an mp3 is pretty much why they had to make the switch. In the early days of the internet they tried selling only DRMed music.

Then again, it's not like most new music is worth buying so probably a moot point.
I hope not. I'm not huge into music so I buy random CDs or singles here and there.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #14
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmiller1 View Post
I prefer this anyway. I stopped downloading music files when Spotify came along and made it possible for me to listen to, on demand, pretty much any song I want to for $10/month. I wish ebooks would adopt this model. No more worrying about DRM, or storing my files, or backing them up, etc.
Downside to that is spotify require you open a facebook account to use them. I don't want to use or open a facebook account

Streaming and buying should be able to co-exist though, both options meet the needs of different people. Just a shame spotify don't let you create an account directly with them if you don't want all the social extras or facebook.

Last edited by JoeD; 11-24-2011 at 10:45 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote