Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #31
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
One more point

It is because of the iPad, and it's lack of USB and card slots... that has PUSHED me to learn about cloud computing. I already have quit using jump drives, and except for the sd in my little camera (some cameras are already WIFI ready) I do not use my SD cards anymore.... Sometimes we need a little help going to the newer, and I think, better technologies....

My free little 2 gig Dropbox account keeps docs on my iPhone, iPad, netbook and desktop all in sync and available anywhere and anytime...

The future holds broadband everywhere, and instant access to our data.... fun time to be alive
You still can't plug an SD in the cloud, you need another device to do that.
How'bout a wifi camera? You have one?

Apple's been Pushing us to use Cloud. It's devices like iPad that will lead us there...against our will...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:48 AM   #32
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
My laptop doesnt have a SD card slot and neither does my home PC...

I had to but a SD card reader or 'camera connection kit' as apple call them
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #33
NeilHawkes
NeilHawkes began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
One more point

It is because of the iPad, and it's lack of USB and card slots... that has PUSHED me to learn about cloud computing. I already have quit using jump drives, and except for the sd in my little camera (some cameras are already WIFI ready) I do not use my SD cards anymore.... Sometimes we need a little help going to the newer, and I think, better technologies....

My free little 2 gig Dropbox account keeps docs on my iPhone, iPad, netbook and desktop all in sync and available anywhere and anytime...

The future holds broadband everywhere, and instant access to our data.... fun time to be alive
Bremen,
can you recommend any good links to details on 'cloud'?

Thanks and all the best,
Neil.
NeilHawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #34
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilHawkes View Post
Bremen,
can you recommend any good links to details on 'cloud'?

Thanks and all the best,
Neil.
This is a good starting point, I think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #35
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
I don't know that Apple is pushing cloud computing for the iPad. Rather they are pushing the idea that the iPad, like an iPod, needs to be tied to a desktop machine for content. The limitations in file management on the iPad and iPods do not point to Apple wanting you to store your information in the cloud, but instead they want you to store everything on a "real" computer and load the iPad from there.

Cloud computing solutions do exist to get files to the iPad, Dropbox being one of the most obvious, but that is a work-around to Apple's system, I think, not an indication that Apple wants you to keep your information "in the cloud."
There are exceptions. iTunes video rentals seem like they would be an exception, but I don't have experience yet with how that works, and, in any case, it's not quite the same as storing your information in cloud. Rather, Apple is giving you temporary access to their data.

I agree that Apple's lock down on data can be onerous, but perhaps it's not needlessly onerous. There are some aspects that I believe exist specifically to prevent the sharing of copyrighted material, which can have the nasty side effect of preventing perfectly legitimate file sharing. Other reasons for some of the limitations are likely user-experience, aesthetics, and price. I think Apple like their devices to have a high degree of utility by people with a low amount of technical aptitude. Having one, simple, consistent way to add data to the iPad helps in this even though it frustrates many of us.

I don't see the lack of an SD card slot as an omission or oversight. I can see situations where it would be nice, but I don't think its inclusion is merited in light of Apple's current file management methods. As far as I know, photos are the only supported files that Apple facilitates you bringing in when your iPad is away from its computer. If the iPad's primary function was to store and process photos, you might expect that there would be a built in method for adding photos, but since photo display, storage, and management is just one, small subset of the iPad's functionality, it seems like adding a dedicated card reader that would go underutilized much of the time by most of the users would be wasteful. Add to that the fact that I currently have three devices that can take and store pictures on a flash card, and each device uses a differently sized card. Using the camera connection kit and some adapters, I believe I could transfer photos from any of my devices. If, instead, the iPad had only an SD slot, I would only be able to transfer photos from one of my devices. And should the standards change, an updated camera connection kit would probably be a lot cheaper than an updated iPad.

If Apple were more permissive in its allowed/preferred methods of getting all file types on and off the iPad, then a built in way to load data on the fly might be better justified. But a dedicated port that only serves one function of one application seems a little wasteful. The camera connection kit seems like a perfectly reasonable way to address this, especially in light of the cloud-based options available to get all kinds of data on to the iPad without syncing it back to your computer.

And any additional ports make the device look more complicated to the non-tech-savvy. And could create the impression that loading files on via SD cards is supported. By offering no port, and labeling the accessory as a camera connection kit, it makes things more clear. Not that I'm a fan of limiting functionality to appeal to the least savvy users, but I understand why it might be a good idea. Because, back to the original subject of this thread, Apple's iOS devices are really simple to use. The people who are daunted by the size of the manual are missing out. My nieces and nephews have no problem using my iPod Touch, and not only have they not read the manual, some of them cannot actually read. But that does not stop them from finding and playing Angry Birds.
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert