Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

View Poll Results: Does rooting violate the warranty or not?
It's unclear whether it violates the warranty 12 17.91%
It does not violate the warranty 16 23.88%
It does, indeed, violate the warranty 39 58.21%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
True or False: Rooting voids the warranty?

I (personally - ymmv) wouldn't consider it ethical to root the Nook and then, if something happens to the hardware (or the OS) to flash it back to factory settings to return it if, indeed, it has voided the warranty.

All the wiki says is: "probably"

Which is it?

Last edited by RockdaMan; 12-24-2010 at 04:39 PM.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
If you reset something to factory condition and it functions properly how is it not ethical?

There are general reasons why a NOOKcolor would be returned and it would have nothing to do with rooting.

Last edited by SCION; 12-24-2010 at 04:51 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thats why I said "personally" and "ymmv". If I do something the manufacturer forbids, and later the device doesn't work -- I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable giving it back to him. Could one be sure rooting didn't cause something to go wrong?

Just because "no one will ever know" doesn't mean its right. Could I fry or overheat a component or do something similar?
Old 12-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you understand what rooting a NOOKcolor means (what is actually being done)? I'm not being asinine with this question. That's why I said "If you reset something to factory condition and it functions properly..."

If you can't reset your device back to factory condition (meaning that it functions as a stock device) then there is a serious problem on your part. If this is the case then you won't be able to return the device for warranty service because it wasn't reset to factory settings. It's moot.

The eink NOOKs have a known design flaw (cracked bezel that develops overtime). Rooting has nothing to do with this. If the device was returned without being reset to factory specs the unit would not be replaced.

If I purchase a NOOKcolor today and root it tonight, yet don't notice specks of dust under the screen until tomorrow, that has nothing to do with rooting. If I try to exchange it without having reset it to factory specs it would not be accepted.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
The issue of whether it voids the warranty or not is up to Barnes and Noble, and I'm sure there has been plenty of discussion on it, both pre and post-development. The issue of whether a particular activity is right or wrong is simply up to each individual, as it has always been.

I can say that when I personally decided to perform the rooting on the Nook Color, I just assumed the worst case - that the activity voids the warranty. I did a quick cost/benefit/risk analysis in my head, and went for it. For me, the risks involved in modifying a $250 device aren't really an issue. For someone who already extended themselves purchasing the device, maybe they would think differently.

<shrugs>
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post

Just because "no one will ever know" doesn't mean its right. Could I fry or overheat a component or do something similar?
By the questions that you're asking then it's best that you don't root. I don't understand the purpose of your poll. Are you trying to raise red flags?

If you don't feel comfortable doing something then don't do it. People feel the same way about removing DRM from ebooks that they purchased for personal consumption only.\

Either you want to be educated about rooting or you're trying to impose your opinions on others.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
mikewrenn
mikewrenn began at the beginning.

Device: prs900
The question is unfortunately not up for debate. If you root your Nook Color, or otherwise "tamper" with it or "modify" it, you void the warranty:

"WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THE WARRANTY

This Limited Warranty does not cover damage or malfunctions caused by accident, disaster, misuse, abuse, negligence
or other external causes; third-party products; Internet or telecommunications failures; commercial use; unauthorized
opening, use, service, tampering, alteration, repair or modification; or inadequate packing or shipping procedures."

You can certainly revert to stock, but people are saying that not everything is reversed, and that B&N service personnel will be able to tell.
mikewrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant

This is from the website that has NOOKcolor rooting instructions:

Quote:
* Warning: nookDevs.com is not liable if you screw up during the root process. Nookdevs didn't even develop this process, it is a community product of many hands.

* Warning: This will probably (probably = actually) void your warranty, nookDevs.com is not liable for that either in any way shape or form.

* Warning: What you are about to do should only be undertaken by a competent person, not your pet monkey Guenter, even if he has a small hat (Futurama)

* Warning: Make sure you read the FULL page BEFORE starting anything to confirm you know what you are getting into!

* Warning: By following the instructions below you release nookDevs and all related parties from any and all liability and damages as a result of this process. We can help you if you run into problems but we help at OUR discretion. Before you come to IRC asking for help, please make sure you've done every teeny tiny step and you've done the whole thing at least twice.
http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting

The information is available to those who choose to read it. These are red flags.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
Tess89
Enthusiast
Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The only people who have to ponder this question are those who are completely reckless in rooting their devices. Those who don't think twice about rooting, or jailbreakers if you will, would laugh them right out of the building.

Even if someone were to mess up the root, they could return their device back to factory condition rendering a return unnecessary. Even if they did return it, if it's returned to the original state in which it was bought, why would it be a problem? I say let people do whatever the heck they want with the stuff they own outright. Those who decide to alter their devices likely have accessed the risk and go into it prepared. Luckily, rooting is far kinder to hardware than physically taking it apart and then putting it back together.

I will never understand why rooting concerns the finger-waggers anyways. If you think rooting is unethical or too risky, don't root. Simple stuff. Be happy and enjoy the stock firmware. You worry about your device, I'll worry about mine.

Last edited by Tess89; 12-24-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Tess89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #10
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Well I just restored mine when I returned it. The cashier didn't even open the box, so I could have returned it fully rooted with the Kindle app on the homescreen, etc, etc, and they would not have known.

So, unless there is a techy nook person in the store that will take it out of the box, power on, search around for apps, there is really no way they will even know.

As for the "moral" stance, well, that's up to you. Just know they will not be able to re-sell the returned unit as new (or even at all) so it probably doesn't matter anyway.

Just restore and act dumb if you are worried. FYI, I've returned many "rooted" items in the past (iPad, EVO, iPhone 3GS, etc). Never a peep because they were all restored to factory state.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:47 AM   #11
mikewrenn
mikewrenn began at the beginning.

Device: prs900
Well, not to be "preachy" or "finger-wagging", but you do realize that slipping a modded Nook by some clerk is a lot different than having a malfunctioning device examined by service personnel who are going to be a lot more familiar with its workings. The issue IMO is not morality but practicality, as the warranty will absolutely be voided by rooting, i.e. "tampering" with the software, if detected of course. Since all Nooks are "tethered" to B&N and serialized, I'd be surprised if they didn't know, or couldn't find out if they cared, which ones are, or were, modified.
mikewrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:57 AM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Many people get there warranties from Best Buy or SquareTrade. B&N isn't even involved in the decision as to what is replaced and what isn't.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #13
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
The issue of whether a particular activity is right or wrong is simply up to each individual, as it has always been.
<shrugs>
One of my best professors ever, taught philosophy, did a great job of reminding me that "right or wrong" and "legal" were not always the same thing.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:54 AM   #14
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewrenn View Post
The question is unfortunately not up for debate. If you root your Nook Color, or otherwise "tamper" with it or "modify" it, you void the warranty:

"WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THE WARRANTY

This Limited Warranty does not cover damage or malfunctions caused by accident, disaster, misuse, abuse, negligence
or other external causes; third-party products; Internet or telecommunications failures; commercial use; unauthorized
opening, use, service, tampering, alteration, repair or modification; or inadequate packing or shipping procedures."

You can certainly revert to stock, but people are saying that not everything is reversed, and that B&N service personnel will be able to tell.
Sorry, I, for one, do not see rooting as modifying or tampering anymore than loading a file onto a memory chip "modifies" a device.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #15
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewrenn View Post
Well, thats the money quote so far.