Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-19-2005, 09:23 AM   #16
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
PDA 24/7 is reporting today that Powells sells ebooks also. Palm Reader, Adobe, and MS Reader formats are available.
I just tried Powells for ebooks for the first time, since I already had an account with them and it was a good purchase experience. You do get a virtual bookshelf for your ebook titles so you can redownload them if you need to. I bought a PalmReader book and I think they said there was a limit of 20 downloads of that title from my shelf, but that is more than enough for backup purposes.

I will buy more from them because they have some very good prices on many encrypted ebooks - often better than the other ebooksellers. Powells, being a p-bookseller too has some clout with the publishers and may be able to leverage that into a better price for ebooks.

I hope to try Diesel eBooks next.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:53 PM   #17
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
There's a 1src thread (great site for forums!) which has some sources of ebooks.

And pdf/MobiPocket DRMd books at www.ebooks.com is mentioned separately.

Also in another 1src thread, an offer from JavaBird can be found described as follows:
Quote:
I just received this promo email from PaperbackDigital, and thought others might be interested. They have Audio books and Mobipocket ebooks (I have not purchased anything from them, so I'm not able to offer a review):

"Special Offer -- Free Books. For the rest of the summer, inside every regular newsletter, we'll be offering a free title (ebook or audio) to our regular newsletter subscribers. So subscribe to our regular weekly newsletter, and get free books -- with no strings attached."
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2005, 03:45 PM   #18
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another nice list of free ebooks and audio books is at TuxMobil.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:34 PM   #19
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Trying to keep this list updated as much as possible...
Here's some free tech books, no catch.
http://www.freetechbooks.com/ from Brian's post
Old 10-14-2005, 09:26 PM   #20
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

And another site I hadn't seen before... http://esspc-ebooks.com/default.htm
It's mostly .lit MS Reader files, but some modern books.
Advert
Old 10-17-2005, 10:17 AM   #21
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
In some cases they do - since they get the file directly from the author. But older ones (like Robert E. Howard, for example) there are no electronic versions (well, no legal ones at least).
Look carefully and you'll find that the most problematic books come from two publishers.

Rosetta as a few real atrocities in their collection; I bought "Restaurant at the End of the Universe" and wanted a refund almost instantly. Very obvious OCR errors all over the place, some of which a simple spell checker would have caught.

Renaissance is the other big culprit. One ebook I bought had all the paragraphs center-aligned. Every. Single. One. Another had a lot of embedded hyphens in the middle of words - left over from the OCR scan where a line break had occured, I'm guessing.

I complained about this in my review of the eb1150, and it is one of the things that can kill acceptance of electronic books.

Major publishers, otoh, I have not seen this issue with. The Del Rey editions of Robert E Howard's works, for instance, have looked good so far.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 09:33 AM   #22
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Another source of free ebooks is the Online Books Page, which includes Gutenberg book links. See more at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3376#post23376
Old 12-21-2005, 07:28 AM   #23
jrmgolem
Hot Hot Hot!
jrmgolem began at the beginning.

Device: XDAIIi on Telecom Plus
I have an E-Book site at:

www.electronic-books.co.uk

Some of the stuff is pretty old, though others are pretty good!
jrmgolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 03:03 AM   #24
cheshire
Fence Sitter
cheshire began at the beginning.

Device: Asus P525
Another pay site is SimonSays, at http://www.simonsays.com

They publish mainly in LIT, PDF and sometimes eReader DOC, and a few of their books seem cheaper than eReader or Fictionwise. I'm still exploring the site.
cheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:51 PM   #25
r0ckstar
r0ckstar began at the beginning.

Try this site found it yesterday
Theebookbay.org
r0ckstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:03 AM   #26
MatYadabyte
Zealot
MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

TomeRaider.com

www.tomeraider.com - Focusing on reference works over novels, TomeRaider.com has a number of guides, dictionaries, encyclopedias and such like that are not available in any other format. We are currently totally revamping the library so with a number of new features and many new e-books.
MatYadabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:20 PM   #27
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

There's another nice list of e-book sources developing now in this thread with an iLiad perspective...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7390

By the way, we now have a MobileRead Wiki. If anyone has some interest and a little creativity, please feel free to bring some of this great info about e-book sources into the wiki so that everyone can get to it easily. It works just like Wikipedia, is simple to learn, and we greatly appreciate any and all our community Wiki contributers!
Old 08-22-2006, 10:16 AM   #28
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Not a huge selection, but it does seem to be growing - http://creativecommons.org/
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:15 AM   #29
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Legal (Baen allows nonprofit sharing of the cd's) Baen books from the cd's included in some hc's (currently 9, with 2 more to come in 2007). I do not know if the link was previously posted but it's very useful (not to be confused with the Baen free library, here there are full series to the given point of publication)

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:21 AM   #30
imaxrock
Death Minion
imaxrock began at the beginning.

Device: P-910
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker
All I have to say is... bwAhHAhAhahA... <cheshire cat grin>

Stay tuned...
oh u mean this website?.....just curious!

http://www.thecheshirekat.com/

Hi guys! Wassup!
imaxrock is offline   Reply With Quote