Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
H.P. Lovesauce
Word Herder
H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
"Not unlike" Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas novels

Which authors/novels would you recommend?

Which site(s) are their enthusiasts known to frequent?
H.P. Lovesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
I'm not sure that I've read anything, 'not unlike' the Odd Thomas novels. Although the only other recent Koontz novels that I've read are his Frankenstein series, and his older stuff is a bit formulaic, nothing of his is all that similar to the Odd Thomas series.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Maybe Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i had to wiki the character to find out the gist but maybe something like this is along those lines-

Pretty Little Dead Things by Gary McMahon-

"THOMAS USHER HAS A MOST TERRIBLE TALENT.

Following a car crash in which his wife and daughter are killed, he can see the recently departed, and it's not usually a pretty sight. When he is called to investigate the violent death of the daughter of a prominent local gangster, Usher's world is torn apart once more. For the barriers between this world and the next are not as immutable as once he believed.

Mashing together the grittiest British police procedural with dark supernatural terror, author Gary McMahon creates a refreshingly new take on horror fiction."
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
H.P. Lovesauce
Word Herder
H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, xg4bx! And might I compliment you on your terrifying daguerrotype.
Advert
Old 08-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.P. Lovesauce View Post
Thank you, xg4bx! And might I compliment you on your terrifying daguerrotype.
Now you've done it!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Maybe Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire series. I've only read the first few and it had some of the same goofy/funny edge to it.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
H.P. Lovesauce
Word Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Maybe Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire series. I've only read the first few and it had some of the same goofy/funny edge to it.
You know, I think I read her the first page once, and she may or may not have been underwhelmed. Worth keeping an eye out, though — thanks!

I agree the tone is much the same. When I tried to put different (cheaper) books in front of her, she sent me a link to an excerpt of Odd Thomas so I had a sense of the writing.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Pepper Martin might be slightly close
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/...on-of-dead.htm
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
And of course there's a new Odd Thomas book out.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Wot ???
Where / when / why haven't I got it ??!!

Must hie away to Googleland ...... thanks for the eyes up !

Incidentally, I'm not quite convinced the "Odd-s" aren't created by some alter-ego of Koontz - they seem to bear no relation to anything else in his canon, and I find them in a class of their own, really, much "better" than the rest.
That's my opinion, anyway.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Yeah, I don't really care for Koontz but I like the Odd Thomas novels.

I believe the Moonlight Bay books (Fear Nothing and Seize the Night) figure into the new Odd book. Also there was a set of three short stories(Odd Interlude) that came out before the new novel, Odd Apocalypse.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
megthered
Connoisseur
megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Note 8.0, Nook HD
The first three Odd Interlude books lead up to the Odd Apocalypse book. I have read all of Dean Koontz's books, except Frrankenstein, and the Moonlight Bay series is my favorite. But his " voice" seems to have changed with the last few books.
megthered is offline   Reply With Quote