Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Does this cover image work?

I'm aiming for a sort of 1970s trash-fiction effect.

http://i42.tinypic.com/29bfhi.jpg
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
For me, the guy's face is too real. I'd kind of expect a more cartoony feel. Does that make sense?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post

Hmm. Not bad. I almost wonder if the photo part should be in B/W instead of green?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:

BTW, your link doesn't seem to work. I would consider changing the color. Not enough contrast between picture and letters.
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Hmm. Not bad. I almost wonder if the photo part should be in B/W instead of green?
I agree. If not B/W, some other colour. I read the title, saw the face and immediately thought: "It's people. Soylent Green is made out of people".
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

He's supposed to be one of the motorcyclists.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
He's supposed to be one of the motorcyclists.
I got that... but the green still does not work, IMO. Try B/W and see what it looks like maybe?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Yeah, the green (or that shade of green) kinda turns me off....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
For me, the guy's face is too real. I'd kind of expect a more cartoony feel. Does that make sense?
I agree. It doesn't have that seventies feel with a photo.

plus, he doesn't look very brutal, more wistful.

Last edited by RolandD; 04-24-2012 at 06:03 PM.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
I don't like his spot.

Also, if he's a biker why isn't he wearing shades and a German WWII helmet?

I'd take one of those classic 60s/70s images, bump it around with Gimp for a bit, then apply a cartoon filter to it, stick with a red/monochrome look and make the small text jaggier.

"plus, he doesn't look very brutal, more wistful. "

Like he's wondering why his grandkids don't visit as often as they used to. I'll tell you why - that spot.

Ah, here we go:

http://www.itsdeadlicious.com/2008/1...h-library.html

Obviously, in the spirit of classic exploitation fiction, the cover should reveal a scene that never occurs within the pages of the book. May I suggest a biker launching across the raised Tower Bridge as a scantily clad pillion passenger (preferably female, but go nuts) clings on for dear life on the back of his Bonnie, while zombies swarm underneath. In dinghies.

Last edited by dadioflex; 04-24-2012 at 07:09 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Maybe a shade of purple or crimson rather than green.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
plus, he doesn't look very brutal, more wistful.
Ah, I knew I shouldn't have used Steven Lyle as a model. Is this one any better?

http://i47.tinypic.com/34ga7p5.jpg
Old 04-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yep.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Ah, I knew I shouldn't have used Steven Lyle as a model...
So here I am, planning to just look at but not comment on a cover that I didn't think particularly worked... and someone has to get snide.

So...

Sorry, but the photo doesn't look like a biker; the over-the-top grimace makes him look like a retarded (or hopelessly drunk/high) homicidal maniac who eats bikers for breakfast (or gets beat up by them). It's also a bit close on him. Full head and shoulders, with a sneering look, would be much better. Better still, pull back some more and show either the bike he's sitting on, or the townspeople he's threatening.

Finally, if you want a retro look, tone down all the colors... wash them out, as if you just found this cover amongst the 60s remainders.

Done.

I'm going back to posing now.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #15
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
the over-the-top grimace makes him look like a retarded (or hopelessly drunk/high) homicidal maniac.
That's how I would describe one of the main characters