Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Nook Tablet Registration Question

It may be too early for anyone to know the answer to this question but: Is it possible to use the new Nook tablet without registering it? I am interested in purchasing the new Nook table but not if registration is mandatory. I do not need access to the B&N bookstore at all. If I understand it correctly, using an unregistered device has complete functionality with the exception of B&N bookstore access and automatic software updates. Is that accurate? Has anyone used the “skip out of box experience” button combination on the new tablet yet? My local B&N just got them in stock and I will purchase with cash, no CC being used. Any feedback is appreciated!
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
It may be too early for anyone to know the answer to this question but: Is it possible to use the new Nook tablet without registering it? I am interested in purchasing the new Nook table but not if registration is mandatory. I do not need access to the B&N bookstore at all. If I understand it correctly, using an unregistered device has complete functionality with the exception of B&N bookstore access and automatic software updates. Is that accurate? Has anyone used the “skip out of box experience” button combination on the new tablet yet? My local B&N just got them in stock and I will purchase with cash, no CC being used. Any feedback is appreciated!
I didn't try the "skip out of box" trick, I simply registered it. You do not have to use a credit card during registration, that step is optional. Honestly, I don't understand why you would want to skip the registration process, if you don't want to give your details, just fake them.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I didn't try the "skip out of box" trick, I simply registered it. You do not have to use a credit card during registration, that step is optional. Honestly, I don't understand why you would want to skip the registration process, if you don't want to give your details, just fake them.
The B&N FAQ page stated that a CC was needed to register, if that is optional I could certainly fake the rest. Thanks for the feedback!
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Timur
Connoisseur
Timur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five words

Device: EBW1150, Nook STR
I do not know about NT but CC was not required during registration of Nook STR.

Also, I would keep an eye on the standby battery usage with using "skip oobe" in Nook Tablet; "skip oobe" seems to make standby battery usage of Nook STR horribly high(from personal experience).
Timur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I skipped adding a credit card when I registered with no problem.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert