Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-09-2013, 02:29 AM   #16
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Try this: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...n_pastlog_area

It helped for me once...
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #17
belgianreader
belgianreader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thanks! Unfortunately, it doesn't work in this case...
(As a side note, I mounted the diag partition of the device, and found various test scripts on it, which I've tried. The touch screen works, as well as the buttons. I found a factory_reset.sh script, which also resets the time. Without effect.) If there is a hidden pastlog area, is there any way to retrieve this log from the device to study what is going wrong during boot?
belgianreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:57 AM   #18
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Why doesn't it work in your case?

If you can access diag partition, you can access the raw partition as well...

Another possibility is to manually install the enable-adb package and connect to computer during startup - if you are lucky, adb already is running when spinning arrows occur and you can log into adb shell...
Old 09-10-2013, 05:11 AM   #19
belgianreader

Quote:
If you can access diag partition, you can access the raw partition as well...
May I ask how I mount this partition? Is there a block device I can mount to accomplish this?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #20
uboot
Evangelist

The simple answer is: you cannot mount it )

The only thing you can do is accessing /dev/mmcblk2 directly with dd.

This gives you lot's of options to destroy it.

The first 24MB of mmcblk contains many things - device serial, encryption keys, bootloader etc.

You need to know the correct offset and size of the potion you want to access. (see here for reference: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...54&postcount=2)

For the pastlog area, the fix is described in the link I gave you.

Last edited by uboot; 09-10-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #21
belgianreader

Ok, I've dd-ed the LOG area of the start partition. I suspect this may be the culprit: the messages that repeat over and over again - till the reset button is pressed - are "Unable to attach mixer to device default: No such file or directory", "AudioPolicyService not published, waiting..." and "external/alsa-lib/src/control/control.c:902snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL AndroidOut".

When I check the log file posted earlier in this thread, I have the impression that during boot there should be a message "#0: imx-3stack (CS42L52 codec)" below "ALSA device list"; however, in my case it prints "No soundcards found."

This could be an indication that the audio hardware is no longer working and the software is stuck in a loop waiting for an AudioPolicyService to start.

Could there be a way to disable audio? I don't need audio on my e-reader. Or is this hard wired in the kernel and virtually impossible to disable? (Sorry for asking so much - I am not very familiar with Android, although I know a little about Linux.)
Old 09-14-2013, 03:33 AM   #22
uboot
Evangelist

I also had audio errors in my logs, so this may be normal.

Have you erased the pastlog area as described in the link?
Old 09-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #23
belgianreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
I also had audio errors in my logs, so this may be normal.

Have you erased the pastlog area as described in the link?
Yes, I did, without success...

I would be surprised if the audio is not involved, as long stretches of the logs only consist of these messages.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #24
uboot
Evangelist

It could also be a mismatch of system partition vs kernel / rootfs. In one your first posts I see that your system partition and kernel is v1.04, but the other partitions are older.

In your case, I would dig into the Sony firmware update v1.04 by extracting the contents, there is a tool in the forum that can do this. Look if there is an updated rootfs / initrd image.

Last edited by uboot; 09-14-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #25
belgianreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
It could also be a mismatch of system partition vs kernel / rootfs. In one your first posts I see that your system partition and kernel is v1.04, but the other partitions are older.

In your case, I would dig into the Sony firmware update v1.04 by extracting the contents, there is a tool in the forum that can do this. Look if there is an updated rootfs / initrd image.
I'm afraid you're confusing my information with that of giovaorama. In my case, all versions listed are 1.0.00.09270. Thanks for the feedback, though.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #26
uboot
Evangelist

Ok, my fault

Meanwhile I found a log file on the internet: http://www.quanttrom.com/wp/wp-conte..._paritions.txt

It seems that you are right with your soundcard.

Unfortunately, I cannot check this myself because I sold my T1.

My last hint is ADB. At rotating arrows screen you should be able to log in via ADB shell - but only if ADB has been is installed and USB debugging has been enabled. You can install it manually - just have a look at the do_update.sh script in the enableadb package. And you can then enable USB debugging by editing /default.prop

With adb shell, you can check android logs via logcat command.