Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
monkeylytics
monkeylytics began at the beginning.

Device: nook, kindle, ipad, kobo, htc hero, sony daily reader
Kobo in Android market?

Kobo made the announcement recently that they had an Android app available. But I haven't been able to find it when I load up Market. I still have the Shortcovers app though (and can find it in Market as well.)

Have any Android users out there been able to find the Kobo ereader app?
monkeylytics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've got it. They sent an email a few days ago to folks who were using the beta and I immediately went to the MP and downloaded it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 04:21 AM   #3
delaplane
delaplane began at the beginning.

Device: nook hd+, nook, touchpad, transformer, note
It's there. I just installed it.
delaplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
monkeylytics

That's weird. I can't find it by searching for "Kobo". I just get a "no matches" result. I wonder if there's something carrier-dependent on this. Any of you using Sprint?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
kcar08
kcar08 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, ebookwise
Maybe it depends on your device and/or carrier? I have a Droid Incredible (Verizon) and found and installed it.
kcar08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 12:37 AM   #6
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
It's there all right. I just installed it as well.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:54 AM   #7
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As always, let us know what you think. But then, I probably didn't have to say that to this crowd.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:06 AM   #8
monkeylytics

Hi Sameer, I'm using an HTC Hero on Sprint, and I can't find the Kobo app on Market. Are there any device/carrier restrictions preventing me from seeing this. Just doing a search on Google shows the occasional person in the same boat but without any resolution.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeylytics View Post
Hi Sameer, I'm using an HTC Hero on Sprint, and I can't find the Kobo app on Market. Are there any device/carrier restrictions preventing me from seeing this. Just doing a search on Google shows the occasional person in the same boat but without any resolution.
Using a Hero here as well (with the 2.1 update). No problems finding it.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I have a copy here:http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ndroid-tablet/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Android application is only available for 1.6 and above unfortunately. You may have 1.5 still, I don't remember if Sprint has rolled out any updates.

SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
The Android application is only available for 1.6 and above unfortunately. You may have 1.5 still, I don't remember if Sprint has rolled out any updates.

The Sprint Hero update give you 2.1
Old 06-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #13
monkeylytics

Got it. I'm still on 1.5. That explains things. Guess I should do the update. Thanks Sameer.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #14
monkeylytics

So, I upgraded my Sprint HTC Hero to 2.1, downloaded my Kobo software, loaded up my ebook, and...

Yech. The book loads, but for my purchased ebook, page turns usually don't work, and if they do, they take a few seconds to do so. Judging by the comments in Android Market, many others are in the same leaky boat although it appears to work for some people. It seems like you released this way too early. Time to market to get market feedback is one thing, but it doesn't do you any good to release that buggy of a product and burn your brand.

Shortcovers on Android 1.6 was basic, but at least it worked. But now that doesn't work on 2.1 either.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #15
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
The original link from the email still works, too: http://bit.ly/kbeta. The email included this explanation:
Quote:
The Motorola Droid, Milestone and Backflip are prevented from downloading non-Market applications and therefore will not be able to participate in the Beta. Kobo for Android requires Android OS 1.6 or higher. Customers with the HTC Dream, Magic and Eris or LG GW620 Eve or Motorola CLIQ or Samsung Behold II do not have the minimum OS requirements for our application. Customers with the T-Mobile G1 and myTouch 3G should be running the latest Android OS 1.6 "Donut" update from Oct 2009.
I have a Droid and know for a fact that this is not true. Don't know where they got this information. I install non-market applications all the time.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, kobo