Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
boran
boran began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, PocketBook 360
Linux/Opus: What ebook format to use?

Hi!
I just ordered an Cybook Opus as my first ebook reader. I saw on the manufacturers webpage that I, depending on firmware, can read .mobi or epub books. I haven't got my device yet but is eager to start ordering books, which leads to a few questions I haven't found an answer to:

* If I go for the MobiPocket firmware, will I still be able to read PDF's?
* What is the most future proof format (I want to keep the books "forever")
* Is any format easier than the others for someone who's computers are all linux-only?

Main question:
* When starting from scratch, what format would YOU use?

(I've searched the forums but find it really hard to get a good overview)
boran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For me it would be ePub, without a doubt. The Opus has an excellent ePub implementation, and it is an open standard supported by numerous publishers. Mobipocket is very much "on its ways out".

There's no such thing as a "future proof format", but, given that an ePub books is essentially just a collection of HTML files zipped up, it's easy to convert to other formats.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
ADE runs (almost) flawlessly with linux. though wine.
(see crossover for ade download).

But it seams a resent ade update have brocken the script to get the key to de-drm ePub.

ePub is, however, the more future proof format right now.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
boran

Thank you both for your advice. I'll go with ePub.

Is ADE broken in a way that prevents me from:
a) reading ePub files on my Opus (that I've transferred from Linux)
b) converting the file to another format?

I guess I don't get the workflow. I thought I could just provide a key from my device to a book shop and then get an encrypted file back, transfer it to my reader and then start reading. Maybe I should wait for my instructions manual before asking any more questions.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by boran View Post
I guess I don't get the workflow.
The ebook store provides an .acsm file that is a "permission slip" to download a particuler Adobe ebook. The Desktop Adobe Digital Editions reads the .acsm file and actually downloads the ebook (perhaps behind the scenes in a web browser, or manually by opening the downloaded .acsm in ADE). The resulting ebook works on up to 6 desktops and 6 dedicated readers that are all registered to the same AdobeID. The problem for Linux is that the desktop ADE is only for Windows or Mac. You may need one-time access to a Windows PC to authorize your Opus to your AdobeID, but from then on ADE under wine/crossover should be sufficient to download the ebooks from Adobe. Once the ePub or PDF is on your Linux desktop it can be copied to the Opus via USB any way you like (e.g. Calibre or direct copy).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 03:25 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Quote:
Is ADE broken in a way that prevents me from:
a) reading ePub files on my Opus (that I've transferred from Linux)
b) converting the file to another format?
A -> no. (Mmm, i realised one thing, i never tried to activate a device though ade on linux. Not sure that part works...)
b -> yes. You need to de-drm to convert.

But, a fix is about to be found. I did get my own key yesterday, though it works badly yet.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 02-15-2010 at 03:29 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
boran

I got my Cybook Opus today, registred the device and bought my first DRM epub without any problems what so ever. I actually thought the combination of virtual machine, USB, Linux and wine would be really painful. :-)

Thanks alot for the help and positive tone in here!