Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
hmt321
hmt321 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-900
calibre problems with sony prs-900

The Sony Library software is very limited, so i rooted around and found Calibre, it works great except for one thing, it cant connect to my new prs-900.

right now i am just saving the books from calibre streight to the

D:\database\media\books file as a work around,

I have tried to delete the sony drivers, and install the provided drivers but that did not work (i know they were for the prs-500, and prs-600, hoping it would work)

is this just because it does not support the prs-900 yet?
any ideas?

I am using .6.29

here is device detection de-bug

Version: 0.6.29
USB devices on system:
[u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2832&rev0002',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2831&rev0002',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2834&rev0002',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2830&rev0002',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2835&rev0002',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid2836&rev0002',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid283a&rev0002',
u'usb\\vid_03f0&pid_2504&rev_0100',
u'usb\\vid_03f0&pid_2504&rev_0100&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_03f0&pid_2504&rev_0100&mi_01',
u'usb\\vid_03f0&pid_2504&rev_0100&mi_02',
u'usb\\vid_054c&pid_031e&rev_031:',
u'usb\\vid_1532&pid_0007&rev_0100',
u'usb\\vid_413c&pid_2005&rev_0105']
Drives detected:
(ID, Partitions, Drive letter)
('IDE\\DISKST3500630AS____________________________ _3.ADG___\\5&BA2E254&0&0.0.0', 0, u'C:\\')
('USBSTOR\\DISK&VEN_SONY&PROD_PRS-900&REV_1.00\\0800461000D58030&0', 1, u'D:\\')
('USBSTOR\\DISK&VEN_SONY&PROD_PRS-900_LAUNCHER&REV_1.00\\0800461000D58030&3', 4, u'I:\\')
('USBSTOR\\DISK&VEN_SONY&PROD_PRS-900_MS&REV_1.00\\0800461000D58030&1', 'No mount points found')
('USBSTOR\\DISK&VEN_SONY&PROD_PRS-900_SD&REV_1.00\\0800461000D58030&2', 'No mount points found')
Looking for BEBOOK
Looking for BEBOOK_MINI
Looking for BLACKBERRY
Looking for CYBOOKG3
Looking for ILIAD
Looking for IREXDR1000
Looking for JETBOOK
Looking for KINDLE
Looking for KINDLE2
Looking for KINDLE_DX
Looking for NOOK
Looking for PRS505
Looking for PRS700
Looking for PRS500
Looking for ANDROID
Looking for N770
Looking for N810
Looking for CYBOOK_OPUS
Looking for COOL_ER
Looking for ESLICK
Looking for NUUT2
Looking for IRIVER_STORY
Looking for POCKETBOOK360
Looking for GER2
Looking for ITALICA
Looking for SHINEBOOK
Looking for ECLICTO
Looking for EB600
Device possibly connected: PRS-600/700 Device Interface
Trying to open device... Unable to open device <calibre.devices.prs505.driver.PRS700 object at 0x02AD6DD0>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 100, in do_connect
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\driver.py", line 63, in open
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 591, in open
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 309, in open_windows
DeviceError: Unable to detect the PRS700 disk drive. Try rebooting.
Device connect failed again, giving up
failed
Opening of the following devices failed
<calibre.devices.prs505.driver.PRS700 object at 0x02AD6DD0>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\__init__.py", line 93, in debug
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\driver.py", line 63, in open
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 591, in open
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 309, in open_windows
DeviceError: Unable to detect the PRS700 disk drive. Try rebooting.
hmt321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Driver will be in next (0.6.31) release
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
hmt321
hmt321 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-900
ok cool
hmt321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Since this already discusses the 900, do you have plans to include a profile or two for the 900 to include with the release that has the driver?

The lack of a profile has been putting a hamper on some my conversions, because of the mis-matched ratios of the existing profiles.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

if someone tells me the screen dimensions and dpi of the 900,I'll be happy to add a profile.
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I've committed profiles for the 900. I was unable to find the dpi (size is 600x1024 with 7.1" diagonal) so the dpi in the profiles is a mathematical guess. @Kovid, can you check it for me?
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I doubt the actual accessible area is 600x1024 the UI probably takes up some space, I guess we can assume it takes up the same amount of space as on the other SONY devices.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
igp
igp is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-900BC
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...58&postcount=4
My post's information includes info on the SDCard slot and the ProDUO slot.

From what I can tell, the UI takes up the same amount of space (about 20-30 pixels @ the bottom while reading).

The screen can also be rotated to be 1024x600. It also has a dual-page mode when in the widescreen orientation.

Last edited by igp; 12-26-2009 at 05:41 PM.
igp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I doubt the actual accessible area is 600x1024 the UI probably takes up some space, I guess we can assume it takes up the same amount of space as on the other SONY devices.
Yup, the same amount of space.

The DPI should be the same as the 505/600 as well, just the usable screen space is taller by 224 pixels in portrait.

I'm not sure the two-page mode is horribly interesting at the moment, it works best with ePub content, in which case the portrait profile is the right profile to use for it.

Really, the existing profiles are still pretty useful except for CBR/CBZ content on the 900.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Really, the existing profiles are still pretty useful except for CBR/CBZ content on the 900.
The profiles are ignored in most cases. They are really only used for fixed size content (Comic, PDF).

I've modified my 900 profile to account for the unusable screen space.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

That makes sense.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #12
rwsmith
rwsmith began at the beginning.

Device: sony Reader Daily Edition
version 0.6.31

Hi y'all- I just logged on to this forum today as I just received the sony 900 two days ago. I also encountered the downloading problem to the device and I see from reading these messages that this will be fixed with the 0.6.31 version-- when will that be available and do I need to keep coming back to download calibre to know that it is available?

thanks

rwsmith
rwsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #13
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith View Post
... this will be fixed with the 0.6.31 version-- when will that be available and do I need to keep coming back to download calibre to know that it is available?
Anywhere from 1 day - 2 weeks I'd say. It really depends on how many changes are made and how critical they are. However, when a new version is available it will tell you in in the main window by the heart.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #14
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Got the new build of Calibre, works almost spot on, except I kinda screwed up and didn't realize there is a forced 5px border on the left and right, making the usable width 590 pixels, not 600.

EDIT: And again, I don't do enough research. The PRS-900 tells the Reader software what it's view rectangle is with the capabilities.xml file. Looks like the 900 has a 584x978 usable area for things like ePub. Playing with the Calibre source for profiles, it seems to be spot-on too.

Last edited by Kolenka; 12-28-2009 at 04:25 AM.