Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Kindle UK Information and Help

Hi folks,

I thought it would be nice to start a new thread dedicated to Kindle UK users that can serve as an information point to help answer some of the specific questions involved with Kindle International in the United Kingdom.

Here's a page I put together listing information about pricing converted to pounds, ebook selection, wireless coverage, and miscellaneous things to be aware of before buying.

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/kindle-uk.html

Feel free to post anything related to Kindle UK here on this thread, from news articles to questions and comments.

Thanks
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Here's an article from the Guardian about higher ebook prices in the UK, due to increased operating costs outside the US and VAT rates being higher on ebooks than on print books.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...kindle-charges
Advert
Old 10-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Sweepy
Sweepy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Hi,

Being a sucker for a new gadget, I've pre-ordered the Kindle 2 International (I'm in the UK BTW). It should arrive next week.

Browsing the UK Kindle Store there are some notable omissions, for example no God Delusion, not much by Bill Bryson. These seem to be present in the US Kindle Store. There seems to be a workaround which permits purchasing of books from the US Kindle Store using Gift Certificates, which I am happy to do to get the books I want.

It may be too early to answer, but if I 'jump through the hoops' and use the Gift Certificate route to purchase from the US Kindle Store, will I be able to download the purchased books wirelessly from the UK?

Thanks in advance.
Sweepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
A very informative article, The-eBook-Reader. But I'm not sure why you constantly refer to the "Kindle UK" (as in "The Kindle UK will support AZW ..."). Not to mention your photo of the device sporting a union flag.

Surely you know there's no such animal. What we get in the UK is exactly the same model as in the other 99 countries where the Kindle is available (except the US, of course). There's no UK-specific version.

You question the reason that "Amazon is requiring all Kindle International orders and ebook purchase to be in US currency." That's hardly a surprise. When ordering products from the US, it's perfectly normally for us to use US dollars. It's not a problem, assuming you are using a credit or debit card. Most Europeans are accustomed to cross-border purchases.

I was also interested in your remark that "Amazon are intending to set up the Amazon.co.uk website for a UK-centric Kindle store". I don't recall reading that anywhere. It would be good news if it's true, provided we get a reasonable range of titles to choose from, of course.

I didn't mean this post to sound so critical of your article. I hope you'll keep us informed of further developments.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
. . . I'm not sure why you constantly refer to the "Kindle UK" (as in "The Kindle UK will support AZW ..."). Not to mention your photo of the device sporting a union flag.
It's a long complicated story, but I have to do something like that to differentiate between countries so that people in the UK can find that page in search engines. If I only refer to it as the Kindle International no one will ever be able to find it in the UK. And the phrase has to repeat a few times so that search engines know what the topic of the page is. If I kept saying "Kindle in the UK" or "UK Kindle" things would get even more confusing.

Quote:
I was also interested in your remark that "Amazon are intending to set up the Amazon.co.uk website for a UK-centric Kindle store". I don't recall reading that anywhere. It would be good news if it's true, provided we get a reasonable range of titles to choose from, of course.
Amazon had a page over on Amazon.co.uk about it the day the international was released. Elli posted the link on the main thread that discussed the release but now the page at Amazon UK is gone and I can't find it. Not sure what that's supposed to mean.
Advert
Old 10-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
Amazon had a page over on Amazon.co.uk about it the day the international was released.
Yep they did, I read it as well. It was one of those Dear Customer letters they put up evey once and awhile.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:07 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Thanks for the clarification, The-eBook-Reader.

I'd really like it to be true about the UK-centric Kindle store at Amazon UK, but I won't hold my breath.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie

Here's another article from the Guardian about how Kindle sales this Christmas could benefit book sales in the UK.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...nch-bloomsbury
Old 10-17-2009, 11:08 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweepy View Post
It may be too early to answer, but if I 'jump through the hoops' and use the Gift Certificate route to purchase from the US Kindle Store, will I be able to download the purchased books wirelessly from the UK?

Thanks in advance.
I think the answer is yes. You would be able to register your kindle with your US account or your UK account. However, not both at the same time.

Also, if you are a on a US account you have to pay an extra fee of $2 to get the book wirelessly delivered where-as that is not so for your UK account. At least that seems to be the news that we are seeing.

It is really hard to tell exactly how it will work until people have them and can give us the real story.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
Sweepy
Sweepy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think the answer is yes. You would be able to register your kindle with your US account or your UK account. However, not both at the same time.

Also, if you are a on a US account you have to pay an extra fee of $2 to get the book wirelessly delivered where-as that is not so for your UK account. At least that seems to be the news that we are seeing.

It is really hard to tell exactly how it will work until people have them and can give us the real story.

BOb
Hi Bob,

Many thanks for your thoughts on this. Really looking forward to my Kindle arriving; hopefully Wednesday-ish...

Sweepy
Sweepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie

Here's an article from the BBC regarding the new Kindle and ebook piracy that you folks in the UK might find interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8314092.stm
Old 10-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #12
waingateman
waingateman began at the beginning.

Hi All

Having now purchased 10 books for my 2 x Kindle 2 International whilst in UK and France, this appears to be the way it works.

EU countries get charged US price plus $1.99 wireless charge plus 15% VAT (amazon US do not have to charge different VAT rates for each EU country they can register in one EU country typically one with lowest VAT rate and just charge that).

It would appear that you can then wirelessly download each book multiple time (don't know whether there is a limit but I have download 1 book 5 times to try this out) for the $1.99 plus VAT charge.

So delivery is not free, including if you download to your computer as amazon US use your browsers country detection to check if you are in the country you say you are.

I've also been to Germany (I Live on the French, German, Switzerland border) and get the same pricing as France/UK

I have tried using a US address in My Kindle, which allows me to see the US pricing but when you come to buy it does not allow you to complete the transaction as the browser shows a different country - unless someone knows how to fool this we will all be charged the $1.99 charge whether we use wireless delivery or computer download.
waingateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #13
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie

Thanks for the info, waingateman.

I wonder what would happen if you downloaded from Switzerland, seeing as how they aren't in the EU and don't have to pay VAT. Amazon probably goes by the address on your credit card though.

And have you tried accessing Wikipedia yet? There's a rumor circulating that user abroad can use Wiki, just no images get displayed.

Last edited by The-eBook-Reader; 10-21-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #14
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
And have you tried accessing Wikipedia yet? There's a rumor circulating that user abroad can use Wiki, just no images get displayed.
Here in Sweden you get http://en.m.wikipedia.org/ and images are only turned off by default. You can enable advanced browser and images, but it is so slow I keep images turned off mostly.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #15
waingateman
waingateman began at the beginning.

wikipedia worked fine - not very fast but user able, no general internet yet but they told us that.

Just out of interest I got a $20 credit from Amazon for both of our Kindles as the price has gone down.

Not many retailers would do that
waingateman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle international, kindle uk, united kingdom