Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #271
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletVal View Post
I think it makes sense to use polls to decide this issue, but have potentially two separate polls. The first would be a simple yes or no poll asking if you want the second classic month to change categories. Then, if the majority votes yes, we can have another poll for what we would like the category to be.

ETA: That way, if most people want the category changed, then at least everyone else has a say as to what that category would be.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #272
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I am fine with whatever is decided, but I am not a fan of changing categories for this year mid-year. Nor am I a fan of having a referendum on one particular category.

I think if anyone with the persistence of Jon had brought up, say, Comedy, or Romance, or perhaps others, we may be having referendums on those too.

If we are to examine one month, I think we should examine all. And I think it should be left to next year's categories, not this year's.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #273
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I am fine with whatever is decided, but I am not a fan of changing categories for this year mid-year. Nor am I a fan of having a referendum on one particular category.

I think if anyone with the persistence of Jon had brought up, say, Comedy, or Romance, or perhaps others, we may be having referendums on those too.

If we are to examine one month, I think we should examine all. And I think it should be left to next year's categories, not this year's.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #274
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Why are you guys stuck on it being one or 2 months?

1. Speaking for myself, It is not the genre itself that is being challenged but the frequency... Again no one has suggested getting rid of Classics (well maybe Jon did, I don't remember, but no one 2nd the idea anyway)...we are asking to keep Classics to one month instead of two.

2. Issybird made the same suggestion as to overhauling the list as a whole, and we (you, Issy and I) seem to be the only ones who are even entertaining that idea. So, unless PilotBob brings it up, himself, I don't see that happening.

3. Waiting until next year is fine. We can still discuss the matter today. In fact, its better if we do; that way we can all get our points of view in before any final decision is made.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #275
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Why are you guys stuck on it being one or 2 months?

1. Speaking for myself, It is not the genre itself that is being challenged but the frequency... Again no one has suggested getting rid of Classics (well maybe Jon did, I don't remember, but no one 2nd the idea anyway)...we are asking to keep Classics to one month instead of two.

2. Issybird made the same suggestion as to overhauling the list as a whole, and we (you, Issy and I) seem to be the only ones who are even entertaining that idea. So, unless PilotBob brings it up, himself, I don't see that happening.

3. Waiting until next year is fine. We can still discuss the matter today. In fact, its better if we do; that way we can all get our points of view in before any final decision is made.
1. If one month had been "European Classics" and the other had been "Non-European Classics", then would that change your mind? Then they would be two different categories. Having two months of classics is the same as having two months of sci-fi/fantasy, or three months of mystery/thriller/horror.

2. If we are as persistent as some have been, then I'm sure others would entertain the idea.

3. Then we are agreed. We can discuss the matter whenever we like. However, the membership is always changing - another reason against a random vote now, as the membership will be different later. We could vote out a second classic now only to have more people a few months later prefer a second classic. I'm not sure how these things were decided before, but if we are to collectively decide next year's categories or any changes, we should do it all at once closer to the end of this year. And once they are decided, they should be final for the next year. Otherwise, we could have referendum votes every other month.
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #276
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
1. If one month had been "European Classics" and the other had been "Non-European Classics", then would that change your mind? Then they would be two different categories. Having two months of classics is the same as having two months of sci-fi/fantasy, or three months of mystery/thriller/horror.
1a. I don't know. They're both classics. Besides location, what are their differences?
Comparing classics to scifi/fantasy is comparing apples to oranges. Not all Science Fiction (speculative fiction based in science and technology), are Fantasy (fantastical fiction based on magic, the supernatural, the paranormal, and the unreal) and not all Fantasy are Science Fiction (as I pointed out a few posts ago)...they are two different genre's with their own rules. The same goes for Mysteries, Thrillers and Horrors - as a rule I don't read horrors, I'm not a fan of being scared and/or horrified. A mystery isn't always scary or even thrilling; a thriller isn't always a mystery or scary, and sometimes horror is nothing more than horror.

A classic is always a classic.

1b. I would ask for a change if we had 2 months of science fiction, 2 months of fantasy, 2 months of horror, 2 months of mystery, etc.

Quote:
2. If we are as persistent as some have been, then I'm sure others would entertain the idea.
Maybe. I've already said I'm gamed.

Quote:
3. Then we are agreed. We can discuss the matter whenever we like. However, the membership is always changing - another reason against a random vote now, as the membership will be different later. We could vote out a second classic now only to have more people a few months later prefer a second classic. I'm not sure how these things were decided before, but if we are to collectively decide next year's categories or any changes, we should do it all at once closer to the end of this year. And once they are decided, they should be final for the next year. Otherwise, we could have referendum votes every other month.
So the members change!?! They decide that they want 3 months of classics - we do exactly what we're doing now...discuss it, and hopefully vote on it. Then the members change again and they want 3 months of fantasy..so we discuss it, and we hopefully vote on it. Or we do nothing and the members change anyway, because that is the nature of an open, public forum.
I'll still be asking for 1 month per genre.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #277
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I agree with what has been said by Issybird and Sun Surfer that categories like Sc-Fi or Fantasy are more fine grained than the general category of classics. That is where the argument is presently going in circles though, the merits of picking only the current December category for change through a poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletVal View Post
I think it makes sense to use polls to decide this issue, but have potentially two separate polls. The first would be a simple yes or no poll asking if you want the second classic month to change categories. Then, if the majority votes yes, we can have another poll for what we would like the category to be.

ETA: That way, if most people want the category changed, then at least everyone else has a say as to what that category would be.
I would disagree. The fair way would to be have a single process of nomination and vote. Let nominations be made of potential categories (not excluding classics as a potential nominee), require say two seconds, and vote among those categories that make it to that final stage.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #278
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was thinking of pre-1900 classic and 1900 to 1960 classic, but this works too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsurfer
I'm not sure how these things were decided before, but if we are to collectively decide next year's categories or any changes, we should do it all at once closer to the end of this year. And once they are decided, they should be final for the next year. Otherwise, we could have referendum votes every other month.
I'm still confused about what it takes to claim sufficient groundswell support that it's time to call for a poll. Who the heck decided all this?
Old 07-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #279
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
The fair way would to be have a single process of nomination and vote. Let nominations be made of potential categories (not excluding classics as a potential nominee), require say two seconds, and vote among those categories that make it to that final stage.

Hmm.. I like that process even more! Nominate, 2nd, 3rd, and then vote.

Last edited by Nyssa; 07-22-2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Added quote for clarification
Old 07-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #280
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Not all Science Fiction (speculative fiction based in science and technology), are Fantasy (fantastical fiction based on magic, the supernatural, the paranormal, and the unreal)
They are close enough to very often be labelled together into a sci-fi/fantasy category, though.

Quote:
The same goes for Mysteries, Thrillers and Horrors - as a rule I don't read horrors, I'm not a fan of being scared and/or horrified. A mystery isn't always scary or even thrilling; a thriller isn't always a mystery or scary, and sometimes horror is nothing more than horror.
They are all "Suspense" though.

Quote:
So the members change!?! They decide that they want 3 months of classics - we do exactly what we're doing now...discuss it, and hopefully vote on it. Then the members change again and they want 3 months of fantasy..so we discuss it, and we hopefully vote on it. Or we do nothing and the members change anyway, because that is the nature of an open, public forum.
I'll still be asking for 1 month per genre.
Yes, the members definitely change. Some come, some go. I wasn't a member this time last year, and I've seen others join since me, and some who posted when I first started don't seem to post anymore.

But you are definitely helping to make my point about the demerits of a vote/decision about a second classic month now. It opens up the possibility of anyone complaining and anyone voting to change categories anytime. If we voted now on the second classic month we'd set a bad precedent, no matter what wins.

Also, I think many members aren't as vocal and persistent as some here. Many may prefer tweaks to certain other categories but don't feel the need to complain about it or force the issue. I feel that classics at the moment are being singled out.

If there were no opposition, it may be a different story, but there are obviously those of us who like the second classic category.

If we are to discuss categories as a group, we can discuss it anytime, but I feel that the fairest and simplest way to make decisions is once a year and all at once, if at all.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #281
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm still confused about what it takes to claim sufficient groundswell support that it's time to call for a poll. Who the heck decided all this?
I would agree. My suggestions thus far on new category decisions are more of an "only if we must, then..." discussion.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #282
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
I would agree. My suggestions thus far on new category decisions are more of an "only if we must, then..." discussion.
Yup. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." And to me, an issue with one month out of twelve doesn't qualify as broke.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #283
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Science Fiction and Fantasy ARE different. Science Fiction's base is in science & technology, where as, Fantasy's base is magic & the supernatural/paranormal. It just so happens that both genres can be easily intermixed.

It's like mystery & thrillers can also be intermixed even though they are different as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #284
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How would one know a classic is a classic other than to look at it? Its all the same thing in the end, is it not? A book is just a book until its read.
I have read some classics that were just awful and I would never claim them be to classic. Sure, I don't have to like a story for it to be classic. But these were just so bad as to not really be classic.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #285
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

We cannot base what categories we have based on who might join or leave. We have to base it on who there is now. We have two classics. We have one of everything else? Why have two of something when we can have yet another category and have even more choice? Besides, if you want a 2nd classic, pick a classic for the free for all get it to win.