Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2008, 12:42 AM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Post Finally, an integrated (sorta) PRS505 reading light!

MobileReader porkupan has pointed out to us that Sony has quietly released a PRS505 cover with an integrated "LightWedge" style reading light. I should note here that igorsk found these earlier, but the Waterstone page lacked a picture (and description) so we didn't really know what we were looking at. The picture that porkupan found, really makes it clear, though.

Quote:
Make the most of your Reader Digital Book experience with the PRSA-CL1 lighted Reader Digital Book cover. Intended for use with the PRS-505 Reader, this innovative cover and light combo allows you to read in a dimly lit area without disturbing the person next to you. Ideal for home and travel, this Reader accessory features two brightness levels and long battery life.

A convenient solution
Protect your PRS505 with the cover and custom designed light, available all in one accessory.

Long Power life
Maximum 38 hours at the standard brightness level1

2 Brightness levels
Allows you to choose the perfect setting for your reading pleasure.
Some quick specs on it:

Quote:
Weights and Measurements
  • Dimensions (Approx.) : 7.0375" x 6" x .97"
  • Weight (Approx.) : 8.47 oz without Reader, 1lb 0.9 oz with Reader (not supplied)

Power
  • Battery Life (Approx.) : Maximum of 38 Hours at standard brightness level1
  • Battery Type : 2 AAA Batteries (First set supplied)

Price (hold on to your hats): $69.99 USD

I suppose that's about the same as the combined price of a cover and a standard LightWedge would be, so it's probably not all that surprising a number.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:53 AM   #2
smaulz
smaulz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader (PRS-505)
WAY overpriced, but I just ordered one anyway. It's exactly what I've been waiting for since backlit e-ink devices are out of the question right now.
smaulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 01:10 AM   #3
stgben
Enthusiast
stgben began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle
Is the cover the same as the Premium Leather Case ( http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665245742 ) ?

If so I'll probably jump on this.
stgben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:40 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't really tell, stgben, it looks the same, but the pictures aren't comprehensive.

If it's an important point to you, you could wait till smaulz's comes in and ask.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:55 AM   #5
stgben
Enthusiast
stgben began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I can't really tell, stgben, it looks the same, but the pictures aren't comprehensive.

If it's an important point to you, you could wait till smaulz's comes in and ask.
I'd really just like it to be something other than the standard issue cover. I'm not looking to pay $70 for the light, but it seems to be priced as a Premium Cover + Light so I'll go ahead and get it.
stgben is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 02:11 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ah, I see -- my error, teach me to read more carefully before I spout off.

The premium cover has internal pockets on it that I don't think the lit cover has, so I think this is basically a standard cover with a light added on.

Sorry for inflicting my confusion on you.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:30 AM   #7
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Does another company Make one? Also I am not seeing it on the Sony Site. I found it thru the link provided in the thread but couldnt navigate to it on the sony site. Did anyone notice that the original price of 69.99 was slashed thru with you save 7.00 dollars yet it stayed 69.00???

JJ

Last edited by jerryleejr; 07-24-2008 at 02:36 AM.
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:24 AM   #8
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Nice, cool, but at a 25% of a Reader's price, an utter theft... If you fancy this gadget it is alright, but if what you want is just light, there are far cheaper solutions.

That said, I would like to know how well it holds on to the screen when you fold the cover backwards or read leaning on your left side. It is bad that it is so expensive, but it would be worse if it didn't stay in place....

My opinion, of course.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:45 AM   #9
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
Making it work with the PRS 500

I know this is only for a PRS 505, but it doesn't look difficult to modify it for the original PRS 500. The screen sizes are the same, so if the bezel widths are about the same, the light wedge part would fit right? That is if the difference in thickness between the 505 and 500 keep things from fitting.

Just have to either scavenge the circular clip off an existing PRS 500 cover and glue in the right place of the Light Wedge Cover, or use some velcro sticky tape maybe.

Any one have the measurements of the 505 bezel around the screen to compare to the 500's?

Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:55 AM   #10
SeaWolf
Connoisseur
SeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Kindle Paperwhite WiFi
I'll be interested to hear what the battery life is like in real conditions. Is "38 hours at the standard brightness level1" the brighter or the dimmer setting?
But certainly a thumbs up for using standard, over the counter, easily replaceable batteries. Bonus points if it turns out you can put in rechargeable ones and then plug the device in and charge them still in the device.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:26 AM   #11
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
I would like to see it in action either a pic or a review vid.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:23 AM   #12
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm wondering if the glow from the light is noticeable in a dark room. The glow of even a dimmed backlight is too much for the wife when she's trying to sleep... I wonder if a lightwedge would be a solution for me?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:21 AM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
More covers at the UK site.
http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProdu...ok+accessories
Rugged clear silicone cover

Trifold cover
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I suppose if Sony is selling these themselves, the odds of them coming out with a similar cover for the iLiad are nonexistent.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #15
TXCheng
TXCheng began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I took the plunge and ordered one also. Too bad no one had a ecoupon. I don't know how many book lights I have tried over the past year. I wish they would have shown how the cover closes. I hope it isn't bulky.

Andy
TXCheng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!