Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
martz
martz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Single-column HTML to 2-column PDF?

Hi,
I'm looking for a simple command line tool that would convert and reformat single-pane HTML files (say, articles I read online) to two-pane PDFs (basically an offline alternative for Joliprint). I'm on Debian Linux, but not much of a coder, so HTML2PDF seems a little complicated at this point. I'm also aware of Pisa but it doesn't seem to have direct options for defining columns.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by martz; 12-28-2012 at 05:29 AM. Reason: added details
martz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Since you'd be working with HTML files, load and tweak them in LibreOffice and then convert them to PDF. Better yet, for Sony PRS-T1, you probably want ePub.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
martz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
Since you'd be working with HTML files, load and tweak them in LibreOffice and then convert them to PDF. Better yet, for Sony PRS-T1, you probably want ePub.
Thanks, that's an option, but I'd like to have something that would reformat/tweak the text automatically. Also, I prefer PDF files because I've built a workflow around annotating them with PRSAnnots (what an excellent tool!).

Last edited by martz; 12-28-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
If you're willing to do a little work, you can convert HTML to DocBook (html2db, for example), then run it through dblatex with an appropriate set of styles.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
martz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
If you're willing to do a little work, you can convert HTML to DocBook (html2db, for example), then run it through dblatex with an appropriate set of styles.
I think I'll look into this, thanks very much!
Advert

Tags
pdf