Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #14311
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^^What do you have left for the alphabet challenge?

For Dazrin, the 1960s is such a great decade for books. It's probably just my general aesthetic that fits well with it, but some options would be the ones I read from the 1960s this year: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, God Bless You Mr. Rosewater, Rabbit Run, and R is for Rocket.
I saw those too, but when I saw AofGG I really wanted to re-read it for some reason. If I get stumped again, I will probably turn to something from the 60s, what I found there is a little more appealing than the 30s right now. Probably not Roald Dahl until my girls get to the right age (soon), but also probably not Dune since I read it a couple years ago, so PKD might be good, I haven't read anything by him (or Zelazny).

I am not even going to attempt the alphabet challenge, just trying to get decades in is enough stretching for me. Baby steps here.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #14312
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I found the 1930s difficult, but Brave New World was a great read that I had never read (hangs head in shame).

I've got Dahl on next year's challenge required reading list, although it's Dahl that's not for kids. Next year is more modern, but was still difficult to compile. You can see the current list of books in my signature.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #14313
pageturner
pageturner began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I just starting re-reading The Passage by Justin Cronin in anticipation of the next book coming out in a couple weeks. Also reading The Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce. It was free on Copia and some of the definitions are really funny. "LOVE, n. A temporary insanity curable by marriage". Ha! And they're giving $2,000 in free ebooks to the person who adds the best definition. There are a lot of fall books I could get with that!
pageturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #14314
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
"The Casual Vacancy" sample was much better than I gave it credit for going in, and if it were more reasonable priced, say, $12.99, I would have bought it right away.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #14315
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Finished all the stories in Liaden Unibus I, by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. Some excellent stories in there, and none that I thought were total duds. Now moving on to the second volume, Liaden Unibus II

These are all stories I've read in the past, but since I'm listening to the full set of novels in the Liaden Universe on Audible, it seemed a good time to do a re-read pass on the stories. Especially since they fill in some gaps.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #14316
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
I just starting re-reading The Passage by Justin Cronin in anticipation of the next book coming out in a couple weeks.
That's my plan for the weekend!

My local library offered The Twelve as a pre-order for 10/16 and I'm #1 in the queue! Looking forward to a great read.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #14317
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Jim Butcher and Philip K. Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Blood Rites was a great re-read. I loved every second of it (do I sound redundant?).

I'vev downloaded the Amazon free sample of The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling. Since the price for the complete book is a bit steep I'm going to first read the sample and then decide if I want to finish the book bad enough to pay $17.99 for the privilege.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I finished the sample last night and the actual complete book is now on my Amazon Christmas wish list.

My short Dresden break turned out to be real short and I've now begun re-reading Dead Beat, number seven of The Dresden Files.
I finished Dead Beat last night at Midnight! Wow! I always love the scenes with Harry and Butters and Harry and Carlos riding on Sue's back into battle!

Yesterday I watched a movie on HBO called The Adjustment Bureau and noticed in the credits that it was based on a short story by Philip K. Dick called Adjustment Team and I found it on Amazon for $ 0.99! It was a great short and fast read.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10335790.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	93538

Now onward to read The Dresden Files #8, Proven Guilty!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Proven_Guilty.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	93541

Last edited by alansplace; 10-06-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: fix text
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #14318
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next is The Night Life of the Gods by Thorne Smith.
This book had several highs and lows. The lows were somewhat boring and a trifle long winded but the highs were great and hilarious and in greater quantities. I was shocked at how frank the book was regarding mores and sex especially being written in 1931. Perhaps, the Hayes code affected novels also? A nice read and definitely worth the effort to track down a print copy. The fish market and courtroom scenes had me laughing out loud. The cat already believes me crazy. She needs no further evidence. Rated B- [4 stars].

Unsure of my next read.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #14319
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^^What do you have left for the alphabet challenge?
I'm missing E,I,J,O,Q,T,U,X,Y,Z at the moment. If I read the MR James, I will get J, as well as the 1900s, but the rest is looking unlikely. I do have a Roger Zelazny and a Kate Elliott in my TBR, but I doubt I will get to them before the end of the year.

(If I count short fiction I can cross off a few more, from the Hugo shortlists. Definitely T and Y. Maybe more.)

I finished The Crime At Black Dudley last night. I enjoyed it. The mystery aspect was a little weak, especially the motive, but it was a fun read. I'm going to be starting Forerunner by Andre Norton next. Mainly because it's on my Kobo, and I haven't used that for a while.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #14320
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
The Damned Busters by Matthew Hughes. It's pretty amusing.

"After accidentally summoning a demon, Chesney Anstruther refuses to sell his soul, which leads through various confusions to, well, Hell going on strike. Which means that nothing bad ever happens in the world... with disastrous consequences."
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #14321
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I finished The Crime At Black Dudley last night. I enjoyed it. The mystery aspect was a little weak, especially the motive, but it was a fun read.
As a paper book? The "Campion" books aren't available as eBooks, are they? Or was it a different book?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #14322
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Yes, as a paper book. I'm not sure it's even in print in paper at the moment. I had to go to Abebooks.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #14323
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next: Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett.
Splendid. Not the best of the discworld books, but certainly a good one.

Next I read Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer.
An interesting and enjoyable book. The story of a girl who finds herself swapping places with a girl from several decades earlier. More, a story about how much of our identity may depend on the perception of others.

And now I'm moving on to Snuff by Terry Pratchett.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #14324
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Splendid. Not the best of the discworld books, but certainly a good one.

Next I read Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer.
An interesting and enjoyable book. The story of a girl who finds herself swapping places with a girl from several decades earlier. More, a story about how much of our identity may depend on the perception of others.

And now I'm moving on to Snuff by Terry Pratchett.
I looked this up on amazon, no ebook available to me, but I noted a reviewer stated that the last chapter had been changed (from the hardback to the paperback version) to make a new ending. It does seem to be an interesting book. Did you have the changed ending one or the original?

I'm in the middle of reloading my kindles and trying to decide what to read between that or some of my pile of pbooks.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #14325
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
[about Charlotte Sometimes]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I looked this up on amazon, no ebook available to me, but I noted a reviewer stated that the last chapter had been changed (from the hardback to the paperback version) to make a new ending. It does seem to be an interesting book. Did you have the changed ending one or the original?
I have it as an ebook from booksonboard. But perhaps it's a UK only release. I can also see it on Amazon.

Having checked the Wikipedia entry (warning: spoilers), I can say that the ebook I have has the original text. Or at least, one incident mentioned in the wikipedia article as having been deleted from the last chapter in a 1985 revised edition does still appear in the ebook.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote