Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 03:44 AM   #1
dham340
Long Time Lurker
dham340 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
iTunes now supports ebooks

Apple released iTunes 9.1 today in preparation for ipad release saturday. The 9.1 update allows you to add epub format books to the itunes library. They show up under the "books" section (which was named audiobooks in prior version).

iLounge has the details.

Works fine. I was able to add epub versions of the entire Harvard Classics series

Last edited by dham340; 03-31-2010 at 03:47 AM.
dham340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:31 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
But these ePub have the apple drm i wont be able to read right ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:22 AM   #3
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
But these ePub have the apple drm i wont be able to read right ?
No none of the Apple DRM books are avaiabe yet. ITunes will alow epubs without DRM
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:32 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Now, that might make me install iTunes.
Well, seam to be us-only for now...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:33 AM   #5
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Oooh! Thanks for this info! I haven't opened my iTunes yet! Will now open to update.
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
dham340
Long Time Lurker
dham340 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
iTunes Deep Dive

iLounge has posted its usual deep dive into yesterday's iTunes update.

Here's the portion about books:

The most notable change in iTunes 9.1 is support for storage and synchronization of eBooks, specifically for the iPad. Rather than adding a separate section, however, Apple has simply re-labelled the “Audiobooks” section to just “Books” and now combines both audiobooks and text-based eBooks in the same sorting area.

As with the Audiobooks section before it, the Books section can be displayed in List, Grid or Cover Flow views. In Grid View, Books and Audiobooks can be grouped into separate sections as shown above or you can choose to group by Author or Category. In List and Cover Flow views, both types of content are mixed together into the same list, although the “Kind” column can be used to differentiate books from audio books.

iTunes 9.1 also lets users import their own ePub-format books from other sources such as Project Gutenberg. ePub files are imported in the same manner as other types of media content—drag and drop into iTunes—then are automatically grouped into the Books section. Books are managed in much the same way as other types of media content as well: the File Info dialog box can also be used to update metadata for Books, and cover artwork can be added in the normal manner.

For Books, the Options page currently only provides one user-settable option: VoiceOver Language, which will presumably be tied to the VoiceOver feature on the iPad itself. Apple has also released a new VoiceOver pack (version 1.3), which signals that iTunes will automatically download pronunciation updates for this feature going forward.

Note that iTunes 9.1 does not provide any support for actually opening ePub files directly on your Mac or PC—these files are stored in iTunes only as a repository for syncing with the iPad and any future devices that may provide support for Apple’s iBooks app.

It is unclear at this time whether the iBookstore will be available through iTunes or only on the iPad. As of this writing it is not yet appearing on the iTunes Store, however Apple may be waiting for the actual launch of iPad before opening the iBookstore. At the very least it seems likely that iBooks purchased on the iPad itself will sync back to iTunes and be displayed and managed in the Books section. We’ll update this section when the iPad is available.
dham340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I've installed iTunes on my Vista and now doing it to the old XP.
So far I've installed a few books just to see. They're showing up.

I think that Apple wants us to get iBooks to allow an epub reader on the host. And to get iBooks you need an account.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:53 PM   #8
fizzwinkus
Rookie
fizzwinkus began at the beginning.

Device: Philips Nino500, Palm 500, Palm 3c, Palm Vx, PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad
i've added about 30 epubs to my itunes. they show a "play" option, but nothing happens. i don't know if apple is wanting you to read only on the ipad or if it's a feature that will unlock after the ipad release date (to keep the whole experience grouped)
fizzwinkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwinkus View Post
i've added about 30 epubs to my itunes. they show a "play" option, but nothing happens. i don't know if apple is wanting you to read only on the ipad or if it's a feature that will unlock after the ipad release date (to keep the whole experience grouped)
It will probably work when iBooks is installed.
In the same vein, I don't have nor an iPhone nor an iPod touch so the Apps feature is deactivated in my copy of iTunes.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Angry PDF -- The New Music Format

Hey guys and gals, try this experiment. Drop a few pdf files into your Folder. Instead of going into Books, it ends up as an Unknown Album under music. Geez, I always wanted to listen to a pdf file. The droll of equations, the soothing techno babble ...

I guess I'll check for another iTunes and Mobile Me update in a few hours. Apple has some of the most overpaid programmers in the business, and between their latte breaks, they can't even get iconv.dll onto some Windows systems.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Hey guys and gals, try this experiment. Drop a few pdf files into your Folder. Instead of going into Books, it ends up as an Unknown Album under music. Geez, I always wanted to listen to a pdf file. The droll of equations, the soothing techno babble ...

I guess I'll check for another iTunes and Mobile Me update in a few hours. Apple has some of the most overpaid programmers in the business, and between their latte breaks, they can't even get iconv.dll onto some Windows systems.
PDFs have been in iTunes for at least 1 year. So far, they have been album booklets, when you bought some special albums from iTunes. No DRM - but no real use either...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #12
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
In the beginning was the pdf ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
PDFs have been in iTunes for at least 1 year.
Thank you for the information. I always had a suspicion that Apple puts it junior programmers on apps such as iTunes. They have had months to clean up the Folder mess, and now, one day before the launch of the iPad (the greatest development since Moses carved the 10 commandments on a tablet), Apple still can't figure out where to put the words. All the early reviewers seem to have declared victory when they could get an epub document from iTunes into the iPad. But what about pdf, the most ubiquitous document format next to html and text? If you drop a pdf document to the top leftmost folder in iTunes 9.1 for windows, the program puts it into an album with Unknown artist. Great. You cannot drag this anywhere into your iPod touch device. (Apple disabled "Enable disk use" on the iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad). You seem to need a third party program, or methodology, which you can find by googling with the string:

"ipod touch" save pdf files

Boy, I'm going to have a lot of fun ftp'ing to my new iPad on Monday. Some of my pdfs are over 10 MB! Emailing yourself an attachment is not an option. Since there is no perfect PDF to EPUB converter, the new iPad user community has to start getting creative.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks for the heads up! Everyone involved must be upgrading, because I had to try 3 times to get it to connect to the download. It's huge, still downloading as I type.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, ebooks, epub, ipad, itunes