Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #16
tommytomtom
Enthusiast
tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
Good news?!
So by now my kindle is basically usable as a normal paperwhite without any additional improvements. I can read mobi, azw, prc, txt and even pdf's with it (the later by sending them to my kindle's email address). Also there are no screen savers but well... But I can put it in screensaver mode.
Anyhow, I actually play more with my kindles than I actually read on it, so I DO want to put KUAL, epubs etc. on it and transfer data via USB and not download them online. But I have an idea for that:

We can also download azw2!!! Of course the ones that are signed by amazon probably will not let us do crazy things with them. However I have the hope that we can make a "poison" app that can do things outside the .active-content-data, I mean simply rename update.txt to update.bin. I have no clue about how developer keys work, but isn't there a way to brute-force the hash or whatever is used to verify it, and possibly also in finite time??? I think that you have some knowledge in that field, knc1?
Maybe also others can help with that. I guess there is no easy way to add developer keys, without ssh/jailbreak and usb mounting. But getting KUAL to have the right signature might work!?
tommytomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytomtom View Post
I do not quite know which part you are referring to, but if we can get a file with update*.bin in the root directory, we do not need "poison" in the filename, we can just put the real update_5.3.9.bin there and after a restart, we should have a regular kindle!
Good point.

A way to "move" /documents/update_5.3.9.txt to /update_5.3.9.bin in the user store. . . .

- - - -

OR -

At one point early in my relationship with this Italian Demo device - -

It checked with Amazon and located an update for its Demo system image (which it really wanted to download and install - I "told it no" - took its wifi away from it).

Perhaps a "smart http proxy" on the lan which could intercept that request and substitute the update_5.3.9.bin package?

Note: The Regular and the Demo packages might be signed by different keys - that may be why the Kindles ship with two Amazon key certs.
I.E: the Kindle might be able to detect this sort of foul play.

Last edited by knc1; 02-14-2014 at 08:52 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #18
tommytomtom
Enthusiast
tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

well /update_5.3.9.txt to /update_5.3.9.bin would work as well (just download file "../update_5.3.9.txt")... just renaming :P but well that is of course (almost) impossible.
Can you tell me the version of your demo version, knc1? maybe mine already updated before I got it. anyhow, that yours wanted to update makes me think that it would be possible. of course things could be still tough if we reroute, but...
anyhow, what about kindlets? do you think there is a possibility???
Old 02-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Will have to locate the device in the collection of Kindles here.

It may be much later today before I can start the hunt for it.

(The collection of "tablet stuff" has sort-of formed a snow drift over the collection of "kindle stuff".)

Last edited by knc1; 02-14-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #20
tommytomtom
Enthusiast

no worries, I think I will take some distance from it and try to think about new ideas... just downloading stupid file with poisonous filenames as a brute force method probably doesn't work...
once you find your Italian demo device, we could think about something in this regard. please also do not reset your kindle to have it in English right away! open the browser as described and see what files are on your device at the moment! especially I am interested in the ads that are on the device at the moment! I would like to add a screensaver to my device...
Old 03-31-2014, 11:18 PM   #21
leha75
leha75 began at the beginning.

Device: PW1
Please help with PW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytomtom View Post
Good news?!
So by now my kindle is basically usable as a normal paperwhite without any additional improvements. I can read mobi, azw, prc, txt and even pdf's with it (the later by sending them to my kindle's email address). Also there are no screen savers but well... But I can put it in screensaver mode.
Anyhow, I actually play more with my kindles than I actually read on it, so I DO want to put KUAL, epubs etc. on it and transfer data via USB and not download them online. But I have an idea for that:

We can also download azw2!!! Of course the ones that are signed by amazon probably will not let us do crazy things with them. However I have the hope that we can make a "poison" app that can do things outside the .active-content-data, I mean simply rename update.txt to update.bin. I have no clue about how developer keys work, but isn't there a way to brute-force the hash or whatever is used to verify it, and possibly also in finite time??? I think that you have some knowledge in that field, knc1?
Maybe also others can help with that. I guess there is no easy way to add developer keys, without ssh/jailbreak and usb mounting. But getting KUAL to have the right signature might work!?
tommytomtom: Can you please point me in right direction. I read all your progress and browsed a lot of posts here, but still have no clue how you got so far with your paperwhite. How did you even get the browser to work? How did you get it on wifi? Did you create any serial cable? Were you able to SSH?

Please point in right direction. I am totally lost here

Thanks
leha75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:14 AM   #22
spikegold
spikegold began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I found some comand for search box
May be it is help

;debugOn // verbose logging
;debugOff // non-verbose logging
~help
~usbNetwork // starts a Dropbear SSH server
;ReadingTimeOff - switches off the reading time display
;ReadingTimeOn - switches on the reading time display
;ReadingTimeReset - resets the reading time computation
@author AuthorName keyword
@store keyword
@web keyword
@wiki keyword
@time

The following may be Touch-only; I can't verify this:

;dm - Dump messages to /documents
;dh - Dump cvm heap
;dt - Dump cvm stack
;shpm - set device to shipping mode
;urst - Reset user partition, deletes content of hidden System folder, Audible folder, Documents and tts folder.
Before using do a complete backup of your device
;debugPaint - log painting functions
;debugPref - pref level logging
;dP - alias of ;debugPref
;311 - change carrier settings
;411 - server information
;611 - wan information
;711 - wifi information
;fc-cache - updates fontconfig's cache, then restart the framework
;setTime - sets kindle time to unix clock
;st - alias of ;setTime (format: yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM – e.g.: ;st 2012-07-22 17:59)
~ds - Never show screen saver (then you cannot lock the kindle till next reboot.
Rebooting the Kindle will restore the screen saver
lock and, hopefully, everything goes fine!)

The following are apparently Paperwhite-only, but I can't verify this:

";dm" : "/usr/bin/dm.sh",
";dmcc" : "/usr/local/bin/dmcc.sh",
";dh" : "/usr/bin/dh.sh",
";dt" : "/usr/bin/dt.sh",
";wifipopup" : "/usr/local/bin/wifipopup.sh",
";sandbox" : "/usr/local/bin/sandbox.sh",
";sbx" : "/usr/local/bin/sandbox.sh",
";shpm" : "/usr/sbin/shipping_mode",
";lzzl" : "/usr/sbin/shipping_mode",
";urst" : "/usr/sbin/userstore_reset",
";usbnetwork" : "/usr/local/bin/usbnetwork.sh",
";un" : "/usr/local/bin/usbnetwork.sh",
";di" : "/usr/local/bin/indexerdisable.sh",
"`stopIndexing" : "/usr/local/bin/indexerstop.sh",
"`startIndexing" : "/usr/local/bin/indexerenable.sh",
"`disableIndexing" : "/usr/local/bin/indexerdisable.sh",
"`indexStatus" : "/usr/local/bin/indexstatus.sh",
";ddc" : "/usr/local/bin/dynconfig.sh",
";resetConfig" : "/usr/local/bin/resetConfig.sh",
";rc" : "/usr/local/bin/resetConfig.sh",
";twoFingerChromeOn" : "/usr/local/bin/altChrome.sh 1",
";homeKeyChromeOn" : "/usr/local/bin/altChrome.sh 2",
";normalChrome" : "/usr/local/bin/altChrome 0",
";debugOn" : "/usr/bin/debugOn.sh",
";debugPaint" : "/usr/bin/debugPaint.sh",
";debugOff" : "/usr/bin/debugOff.sh",
";debugPerf" : "/usr/bin/debugPerf.sh",
";dP" : "/usr/bin/debugPerf.sh",
";311" : "/usr/bin/311.sh",
";411" : "/usr/bin/411.sh",
";611" : "/usr/bin/611.sh",
spikegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:45 AM   #23
knc1
Going Viral

Did you find it described on our site when you looked here for it?
- - - - -
Been in use here for years.

Tags
demo, demo mode, disassemble, paperwhite, serial