Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #14266
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I'm reading Cloud Atlas. I loved David Mitchell's 1000 Autumns of Jacob de Zoet and I'm really enjoying this one as well.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #14267
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool G. Norman Lippert & Jim Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The James Potter and the Curse of the Gatekeeper re-read went a little slowly as I spent some time playing with my new Kindle Fire. In my copy of Gatekeeper I've added a chapter (12a) that is a short story by Lippert called Petra's Getaway. I recommend that anyone reading Gatekeeper should read this short story between chapters 12 and 13. Anyway, it was quite enjoyable and I continue to look forward to the new one's release, James Potter and the Morrigan Web which is promised soon (this Autumn).

So, continuing my Dresden File re-read break I've just begun the G. Norman Lippert novella, The Girl on the Dock which I think of as James Potter 2.5.
I finished The Girl on the Dock and it was, again, a really good read as well as a good bridge between the 2nd and 3rd James Potter books. I'm now going to re-read three more novels from Jim Butcher's, The Dresden Files, beginning with book 4, Summer Knight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	108579040986029977_n1Nuoo1n_b.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	92895

Last edited by alansplace; 09-26-2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: fix graphic
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #14268
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
It's been a bit of a slow month for me. I've only read two books so far. Lyonesse by Jack Vance, which I think I mentioned before (I mostly liked it), and Forever Peace by Joe Haldeman. I was quite disappointed with the latter, given that it won most of the major SF awards on publication. It started out quite promising, but faded into a conspiracy thriller. It also did a weird thing with alternating first- and third-person for no good reason. I didn't see much relation to The Forever War, either, except for the word Forever in the title.

I've just started I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett. One of the earliest books I bought on my Kindle. I figured it was about time.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #14269
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Quote:
I'm in an odd place. I'm in the middle/end of 3 books, and having a tough time finishing up any of them:

The Crazy Mixed-Up Corpse (Ed Noon Mystery) 63%
Amped 42%
The Legend of Huma (re-read) 81%

I need to just power through these but the motivation is escaping me at the moment.
So I powered through the ending of The Crazy Mixed-Up Corpse. Easy read, fun novel. Short, too. Just the thing I needed to break my reading funk, I think. Next I will probably finish Huma before tackling the rest of Amped.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #14270
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Currently reading Dana Stabenow's A Deeper Sleep, #15 in the Kate Shugak series. As always, I'm enjoying it immensely. This book starts out with Kate and Jim still dithering, and even though I have "read" it (as an Audible book) before, I can't remember if they finally get over it in this one. And a bunch of other things going on with some of the subsidiary story lines, so all in all an above average book in an excellent series.
Well, that was an ending I didn't expect. Now I can't decide whether to go on to the next one of the Kate Shugak series (which I would have to buy), or hit my TBR. Let's at least try for the TBR and do #3 in the Wind Rider series from David Weber
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #14271
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
It's been a bit of a slow month for me. I've only read two books so far. Lyonesse by Jack Vance, which I think I mentioned before (I mostly liked it), and Forever Peace by Joe Haldeman. I was quite disappointed with the latter, given that it won most of the major SF awards on publication. It started out quite promising, but faded into a conspiracy thriller. It also did a weird thing with alternating first- and third-person for no good reason. I didn't see much relation to The Forever War, either, except for the word Forever in the title.
I did not like Forever Peace either and was very surprised when it won a lot of prices. One relatively recent book by Haldeman that I liked a lot is Camouflage.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #14272
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I did not like Forever Peace either and was very surprised when it won a lot of prices. One relatively recent book by Haldeman that I liked a lot is Camouflage.
There can be a problem when an author writes a book which is sequel to an earlier book, but which is completely different in style. I was very disappointed when I first read "Speaker for the Dead" after having read "Ender's Game". I can now read "Speaker for the Dead" and enjoy it as an excellent book in its own right, but at the time I was expecting a true sequel to "Ender's Game" (ie military SF) and so was disappointed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #14273
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I finished Stephen King's "The dead zone" these days. A fine book with a taste of 70's and almost none of the usual King's terror fare. The problem I have with King is one alone: I've already watched most of his best novel adaptations for the movies, so I kinda know what to expect. In this case however, I've mostly forgotten the movie plot details since long, so I had a good ride. Couldn't shake off Christopher Walken as Johnny Smith in my head, though.

I've started reading Wool Omnibus edition. Finished book one. Smooth narrative so far, gives a taste for more no doubt, the writer is clearly a skilled one.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #14274
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
An average issue (which means I enjoyed it, but nothing in particular stood out).

Straight onto Analog SF/F, November 2012.
Some good stories, but the highlight was the Probability Zero short short by Larry Niven.

Next: Asimov's SF, September 2012 by Dell Magazine Authors.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #14275
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I finished The Girl on the Dock and it was, again, a really good read as well as a good bridge between the 2nd and 3rd James Potter books. I'm now going to re-read three more novels from Jim Butcher's, The Dresden Files, beginning with book 4, Summer Knight.
Wow,!! Summer Knight was just as exciting as the first two times that I read it! Now on to book five, Death Masks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9780451462947.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	93020

Last edited by alansplace; 09-28-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: fix graphic
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #14276
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Finished The Aeneid by Virgil, the Ahl Oxford translation. Good book, if you're into ancient classics.

Today started The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling. I know it probably won't measure up to the magic of the Harry Potter series but I'm still hoping it's good.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:19 AM   #14277
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now I'm about a third of the way into an odd little indie effort, The Whitechapel Gambit by Marcin Wrona. It's a steampunk offering that's been quite interesting so far. Whether it's odd and goes nowhere or odd and really goes places I'm yet to determine.
Well - finished this offering. It was quite good in the end which was a relief. There was a bit of parallel timeline going on which was a bit jarring at first, but I think it came together well in the end.

Now I'm reading another interesting story in a totally different genre - Pegasus Falling by William E. Thomas. This is part of an historical wartime trilogy by an independent author who unfortunately passed away before his work could be published widely.

I'm about halfway through the book and finding it very readable. I remember someone a while ago looking for a romance from a male perspective. I would put this book on that list.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #14278
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I'm just about to finish ghost story by Jim Butcher, I think i will have a re-read of the Rings of the Master series by Jack Chalker next.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #14279
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I just started Old Man's War by John Scalzi.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #14280
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I just finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. It was a ravishing book. When everything starts clicking together, it is mind blowing.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote