Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
nobody_nowhere
nobody_nowhere began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi
Angry HELP!!! Kindle 3 not connecting to wi-fi

Hello guys, I have a Kindle 3 Wifi with FW 3.3 installed.
I messed around a lot in my terminal, installing new hacks etc. but now recently, my Kindle was not able to connect to wi-fi. I did a Reset to Factory defaults hoping that would solve the problem, but it didn't work.
Everytime, I try connecting to a wi-fi network. It says "Local network connection failed."
I have restarted router, and even resetted it, disabled all security options (so that my password couldnt be wrong).
I have messed around a bit in the /opt directory and BTW, to try to update Busybox, I copied all files in /opt/bin to /bin. (I updated Busybox in /opt/bin using optware) My terminal works fine most of the time except when it says eg.
#login
login: applet not found
For a lot of commands it's like this.
Please HELP me...
Also could somebody point me to a link containing all the /opt and /bin directories????
PLEASE HELP, My K3 is close to being bricked, since I can' run that many cmmands...

Last edited by nobody_nowhere; 05-01-2012 at 05:48 AM.
nobody_nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody_nowhere View Post
Hello guys, I have a Kindle 3 Wifi with FW 3.3 installed.
I messed around a lot in my terminal, installing new hacks etc. but now recently, my Kindle was not able to connect to wi-fi. I did a Reset to Factory defaults hoping that would solve the problem, but it didn't work.
Everytime, I try connecting to a wi-fi network. It says "Local network connection failed."
I have restarted router, and even resetted it, disabled all security options (so that my password couldnt be wrong).
I have messed around a bit in the /opt directory and BTW, to try to update Busybox, I copied all files in /opt/bin to /bin. (I updated Busybox in /opt/bin using optware) My terminal works fine most of the time except when it says eg.
#login
login: applet not found
For a lot of commands it's like this.
Please HELP me...
Also could somebody point me to a link containing all the /opt and /bin directories????
PLEASE HELP, My K3 is close to being bricked, since I can' run that many cmmands...
I suggest that the first thing you do is switch back to the original /bin/busybox.

Just move that one file from the backup copy of /bin that you made before you tried to replace everything there.

Note 1: The Busybox application has a number of build-time options that determine how it provides the internal applet functions.
If the optware Busybox wasn't built with the same "access" options as the Kindle Busybox (even if the same version) you are likely to get "applet not found" errors.

Note 2: For one of the commands that now returns "applet not found" try (here, using ls as an example):
/bin/busybox ls
And then tell us if that avoids the "applet not found" message.

Note 3: If the new (optware) Busybox is not built as a "static" executable, you may also be having library file mis-matches.
I didn't see in your original post where you modified the contents of /lib - so:
Don't do that now!

Last edited by knc1; 05-01-2012 at 07:54 AM. Reason: typos
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Note 2: For one of the commands that now returns "applet not found" try (here, using ls as an example):
/bin/busybox ls
And then tell us if that avoids the "applet not found" message.
The above request is the first of a series of requests to walk you through fixing the damage done to your system files.
From your original post, it reads as if you missed screwing up: /sbin, /usr/bin, and /usr/sbin

The Busybox in the K3, version 3.2.1 firmware is a static build - perhaps you have lucked out and the build in version 3.3 is also a static build.

The next request(s) will be dependant on the result you get from the first one above.

Last edited by knc1; 05-01-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
nobody_nowhere

But sadly, I did not make a back-up...
Yes, I know that I should have. I usually do.
Can you please provide a link for the Busybox...
Old 05-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
But sadly, I did not make a back-up...
Yes, I know that I should have. I usually do.
Can you please provide a link for the Busybox...
Answer the question in note 2 first, you may not need the original busy box.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
nobody_nowhere

I tried it exactly as you told me...
nope... Still not working...
Thanks for taking the time to try to help me, knc1...
All my normal kindle 3 functions are still working perfectly after the factory reset and Im having no trouble reading books etc.
Even the modifications are working fine. (Launchpad, K3chess, etc.)
Only problem is the wi-fi...
Would replacing the notworking /bin folder with the original one fix it?
Old 05-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I tried it exactly as you told me...
nope... Still not working...
Thanks for taking the time to try to help me, knc1...
All my normal kindle 3 functions are still working perfectly after the factory reset and Im having no trouble reading books etc.
Even the modifications are working fine. (Launchpad, K3chess, etc.)
Only problem is the wi-fi...
Would replacing the notworking /bin folder with the original one fix it?
Alright, then my best guess is that the "applet not found" message is mis-leading. I.E: Not an exact description of what is wrong.

So yes, the correcting of the contents of /bin should help.

Your wi-fi access is most likely trying to use one of the broken /bin utilities to do its job at some point.

Since I have the version 3.2.1 and you have the version 3.3, someone else will have to help you with this problem.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
nobody_nowhere:
You will have a whole bunch more problems upon a reboot, I guess. So don't use it for now, just keep the battery up and the device running until you get a backup copy - potentially of /bin, yes, but only you know if that is the only place in the root filesystem you tampered with.

I do have a Kindle 3, but won't be having time for creating a backup of /bin until tomorrow. I'll get back to you then.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
nobody_nowhere:
You will have a whole bunch more problems upon a reboot, I guess. So don't use it for now, just keep the battery up and the device running until you get a backup copy - potentially of /bin, yes, but only you know if that is the only place in the root filesystem you tampered with.

I do have a Kindle 3, but won't be having time for creating a backup of /bin until tomorrow. I'll get back to you then.
Great advice. Do not try to restart it at this point. Keep it charged.

Why?
The restarting of a Linux system uses many of those "broken" utilities in /bin
And it does not sound like that would work properly at this point.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
<link removed>

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-01-2012 at 03:05 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
nobody_nowhere

Thank you, all for helping me with this problem...
Okay, so I just replace it with the new bin folder.
Or do I need to do something else.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Thank you, all for helping me with this problem...
Okay, so I just replace it with the new bin folder.
Or do I need to do something else.
Did you make an changes to folders outside of /bin? If you did, you might need to put those back the way they were before you changed them...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
nobody_nowhere

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Did you make an changes to folders outside of /bin? If you did, you might need to put those back the way they were before you changed them...
Yes, because of the Optware update and all that, changes were made in /opt...
That I think can be removed by using ipkg command.
I also made a few changes in /lib...
Yeah, I messed up pretty bad ...
So...
About my earlier question because overwriting the files won't do any harm, right?

Last edited by nobody_nowhere; 05-01-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I also made a few changes in /lib...
You need to revert those changes also.

The main operating system directories:
/bin
/sbin
/usr/bin
/usr/sbin
/lib
/usr/lib

Revert any changes made in those directories.

The Amazon system __should not__ depend on anything in /opt
__should not__ does not mean there might not be an exception somewhere.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #15
nobody_nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You need to revert those changes also.

The main operating system directories:
/bin
/sbin
/usr/bin
/usr/sbin
/lib
/usr/lib

Revert any changes made in those directories.

The Amazon system __should not__ depend on anything in /opt
__should not__ does not mean there might not be an exception somewhere.
Could I then please have these directories (the ones that you think are important)?
I don't think I have made any changes to anything but /lib...