Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy Series Available As DRM Free Ebook

I recently went through a very interesting list of favorite series which made me for the most part very nostalgic and itching to buy - but most seemed of the dead tree sort

How about a list that is both available as Ebooks and DRM free?
A little more difficult isn't it?
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
I recently went through a very interesting list of favorite series which made me for the most part very nostalgic and itching to buy - but most seemed of the dead tree sort

How about a list that is both available as Ebooks and DRM free?
A little more difficult isn't it?
Visit Webscriptions for tons of sci-fi/fantasy, both series and stand-alone, all reasonably priced, many free, and all DRM-free.

-Marcy

Addendum: Some of my favorites from that website are the Well of Souls series by Jack Chalker, the Honor Harrington books by David Weber and the Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 01:11 AM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Spinward Fringe - Randolph Lalonde
Honor Harrington - David Weber
Posleen - John Ringo
Empire of Man - David Weber/John Ringo
Empire in ashes - David Weber
One Good Soldier - Travis S Taylor
Looking Glass - John Ringo/Travis S Taylor
RCN series - David Drake
JAG in Space - John Hemry
Stark's War - John Hemry
Antares - Michael McCollum
Gibraltar - Michael McCollum
Agents of ISIS - Stephen Goldin

Are just a few off the top of my head.

Note that they are either from Smashwords or Baen or self published

Some others from Gutenburg/Mobileread

All Edgar Rice Burroughs series
Conan, Solomon Kane, Kull et al - Robert E Howard

Last edited by sabredog; 08-12-2010 at 01:14 AM.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
To add to what Marcy said - check out the Miles Vorkosigan series at Baen by Lois McMaster Bujold.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Lois McMaster's Vorkosigan series is available as a free download. One of my favorite science fiction series.
http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/24-CryoburnCD/
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
The Technic Civilization Saga by Poul Anderson and published by Baen Books via Webscriptions.

http://www.webscription.net/

This is a tour de force by Baen and encompasses the entirety of both the

Polesotechnic League series in three anthologies;
The Van Rijn Method
David Falkayn: Star Trader
Rise of the Terran Empire

and the following Terran Empire series in three anthologies;
Captain Flandry: Defender of the Terran Empire
Sir Dominic Flandry: The Last Knight of Terra
And fourth coming in April 2011 the conclusion Flandry's Legacy

The entire series contains a total of nine books and thirty-three novellas and short stories. Classic Science Fiction at it's finest.

I strongly recommend purchasing the Webscription months that contain each anthology since you get between 5 and 7 more ebooks for a few dollars more.

Last edited by NormHart; 12-13-2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Fixed links
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Umpteenthing Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga as one of the best sf series ever, much less best DRM-free ebook-available.

Also at Webscriptions, Mike Resnick's excellent Kirinyaga collection of award-winning short stories set in that milieu. Sadly, the Santiago and other series I wanted from him that used to be available MultiFormat via Fictionwise have disappeared, and resurfaced via a new e-publisher who seems to DRM them.

Away from Baen and Smashwords, Peter Watts' Rifters trilogy, published by Tor, which he offers as a free Creative Commons download on his website, along with practically everything else he's written (and a tipjar) is pretty darn good, if a bit bleakly depressing.

Lawrence Watt-Evans' Ethshar fantasies are well-written and enjoyable. All but two books in it are available as DRM-free MultiFormat via Fictionwise, and he's been writing the newer ones as online serials supported by contributing fans who get a bonus copy once the latest book is officially published.

I'll admit I haven't got around to reading Mayer Alan Brenner yet, but I thought I'd give him a mention because he's been putting his out-of-print novels from The Dance of the Gods series as free Creative Commons downloads online, in the hopes of getting enough buzz to have them reprinted in paper. He seems a pretty cool guy who understands the potential of e-books and various copyright issues, so I wish him luck with his efforts.

Similarly, Baen author John Dalmas is putting his OOP backlist online.

Via e-Reads, there's plenty of DRM-free MultiFormat sf/fantasy available for sale on Fictionwise and Webscriptions, with some really good stuff by authors like R.A. MacAvoy (award-winning fantasies, recommend Damiano trilogy and Tea with the Black Dragon), Greg Bear (award-winning sci-fi, recommend Blood Music), Fritz Lieber (Fahfrd and the Gray Mouser), Harlan Ellison, Susan Shwartz, Dave Duncan, et al. I've picked up a lot of them during Fictionwise's recent 50% off coupon offerings and the ones I've read have been well worth it.

Other DRM-free sf/fantasy publishers on Fictionwise include Wildside Press (classic reprints and original stuff by established authors like Brian Stableford), Wonder Audiobooks LLC (golden age/60s-70s sf by Ray Bradbury, Judith Merrill, Fredric Brown), Mundania Press (midlist light fantasy reprints of authors like Don Callander, Anne Logston, Piers Anthony). Plus there's authors who offer their stuff to Fictionwise directly (mostly short stories).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Great list ATDrake!

and speaking of Fritz Lieber and his noble Fahfrd and the Gray Mouser

http://www.webscription.net/p-1213-f...ollection.aspx

All of them!

An eReads and Webscription collaboration.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:08 AM   #9
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
The Black Library is a recent addition to DRM free series of both fantasy and SF. Lots of books still to be loaded but it deserves a look.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Most of Jeffrey Carver's Chaos Chronicles is available DRM free I believe.

Also at Baen is John Grimes novels and Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser Series.

If we want really free, H. Beam Piper's Terro-Human future history is available here and at P.G...

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Agree w/ bill_mchale --- H. Beam Piper's Terro-Human Future Omnibus is excellent --- the only things missing from it are _Fuzzy Sapiens_ and _Fuzzies & Other People_ I believe.

William

Last edited by WillAdams; 12-15-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: acknowledge earlier mention
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:42 AM   #12
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
The Honor Harrington series (starts with On Basilisk Station, which is a free download) by David Weber. Available at baen.com

I've got more Baen books on my K3 than I do Amazon books! (wish whispersync to the Kindle app worked with non-amazon books)
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #13
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
The Honor Harrington series (starts with On Basilisk Station, which is a free download) by David Weber. Available at baen.com

I've got more Baen books on my K3 than I do Amazon books! (wish whispersync to the Kindle app worked with non-amazon books)
Actually, all of Honorverse books published by Baen are available for free at fifth imperium. I would recommend you buy at least a few though to thank David Weber and Baen with being so generous with what is -- after all-- their bread and butter.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
RW2112
Connoisseur
RW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Actually, all of Honorverse books published by Baen are available for free at fifth imperium. I would recommend you buy at least a few though to thank David Weber and Baen with being so generous with what is -- after all-- their bread and butter.

--
Bill
Agreed! Excellent series!
RW2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #15
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Brandon Sanderson offers "Warbreaker" for free on his website:

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/portal/Warbreaker
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote