Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
jpchan
jpchan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Line on the screen

Hmmm I just got the reader yesterday and this afternoon while using the reader during my lunch break I noticed a line right across the middle of the display. It looks like a line of dead pixels. I've tried resetting the reader with no luck.

When the screen does its refresh bit the line is most evident. Or when I am on a screen where the line happens to line up with the text. Also when I turn off the reader the line tends to show up as a faint dark line.

At a guess it is like that part of the display got switched around.

Any input on getting this fixed or is it a return/exchange?

Justin
jpchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:45 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
This has come up a couple of times before. It's a R&E unfortunately.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2006, 02:57 PM   #3
jpchan

Any thoughts on what could have caused this? Is it a defect in the e ink or did I do something that could have caused this?

More importantly what can I do to avoid this in the future?

Does anyone know if I can do the return and exchange at a sonystyle store? I purchased at a borders though.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited by jpchan; 11-27-2006 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think it's something you did, since you just got it. That seems to be what others have found to, that it shows up really quickly. I think others have R&E without any trouble, but you could do a quick forum search to see the other discussion on it, if you want more background....
Old 11-30-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
seamusfp
Enthusiast
seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500
This is a defect in the TFT behind the ink, either a broken line to that row of transistors, or a missbonding of the driver IC's, or a flaw in the driver IC's themselves

I would take it back to sony for a new unit.
seamusfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2006, 10:07 PM   #6
Nobologna
Nobologna began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
First it's just a single line, then two...now I've got several lines, both horizontal and vertical and a 3 x 4 cm white tile in the lower left, obliterating text and making the device unuseable. I chatted with Sony Support and was told to send it to a Sony Service Center.
Nobologna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #7
bliink
bliink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, RIP Sony PRS-500
Sadly I have the exact same problem.

Unfortunately I'm in Australia! Makes sending it to a Sony Centre just a little difficult I only got the unit 3 days ago which makes me upset, I was really enjoying the unit too.
bliink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:16 PM   #8
jpchan

Just a status update. I returned my sony reader to borders and they exchanged it for a new one. Plus side of that is that I got a second $50.00 credit on the sony connect site, thus further reducing my TCO of my reader.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:37 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Seems to me like a reasonable compensation for your pain and suffering, jpchan.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:06 AM   #10
Baalcebub
Baalcebub began at the beginning.

Damn luck

My brand new Sony Reader got that line too, it's not too wide, so it doesn't difficults the reading, but I'm wondering, since that first line is already showing, is there any good chance more will? Should I try to send it immediately back to the store? The thing is someone I know bought it for me in the US (I live in Mexico), and it wasn't even easy to buy it there, since the store didin't had it so they mailed it to the person, It took about a month or so. So returning it it's going to be a big problem. So I'm trying to figure out if just keep it and inore the line, and risk more appearing, or try to send it back. Damn bad luck.
Baalcebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #11
jpchan

Can't tell you if it is a sign of more trouble in the future. The line on my screen appeared right in the middle. It was enough to bug me to return it to the store.

Sorry I can't be of much help.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:08 AM   #12
Fozzer
Fozzer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader
my reader developed this fault this morning Ahhh ! ! !
My question is I bought my reader from Sony style while on holiday in the US in Nov 06, ( it's not available here in the UK )
I'm returning to the US again this Nov will the store exchange the reader if I return it within 12 months ( as in the uk guarantee's ) or should I contact Sony now, ( any address's please ).

I thought this fault wouldn't bother me but it's driving me nuts now ! !
Fozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzer View Post
my reader developed this fault this morning Ahhh ! ! !
My question is I bought my reader from Sony style while on holiday in the US in Nov 06, ( it's not available here in the UK )
I'm returning to the US again this Nov will the store exchange the reader if I return it within 12 months ( as in the uk guarantee's ) or should I contact Sony now, ( any address's please ).

I thought this fault wouldn't bother me but it's driving me nuts now ! !
Sony Style won't exchange it. it's past the 30 days.

And in order to send it in to Sony while under warranty, you need to have a US address to send it from/to.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #14
Fozzer
Fozzer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader
Well that's just great !
Fozzer is offline   Reply With Quote