Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
This would make a lot more sense if you change the thread title to say "Windows 8 RT".
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #17
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
the authors headline only references the family of products.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The problem of these threads is they are non-specific and hence meaningless.
Better/superior at what? For whom?
I happen to believe that even doddy old retired WindowsCE is a far superior OS, as an OS, than either iOS or android. And every indication I see is that both RT and x86 versions of Win8 will be merely lapping the competion.
As OSes.

But when it comes to devices people can use, that people can buy, none of that is relevant.
People don't buy OSes; they buy solutions. They buy products.
Now, can I buy a $200 7in WinRT tablet? Nope.
10in at $399? Maybe next month, not today. Maybe it'll come in at $599 and still be worth every penny.
To *me*.
Doesn't mean it'll be worth a flying fig to an android fan or an Apple fan.
Or somebody who has a good handle on their needs and budget.

Now, it so happens the WinSupersite is a very serious, very accurate website that seriously dissects and critiques Windows products and MS strategies. Some they like, some they dislike.
The site does not exist to shill for Windows or to provide ammo in fanboy wars; it does provide meaningful and useful information and opinion for IT professionals and serious users who are considering windows products to meet their specific productivity needs.

If you think everything out of Microsoft is by definition crap, then they have nothing for you. "Move along, move along..."

However, if your mind is open to the possibility that Microsoft's strategy of building a common computing platform (and support services) that can scale from cellphones to mainframes and supercomputers might have some value, then you might want to consider what Mr Thurott has to say; he's been working in the business since at least the Windows 3 era. (That's when *I* discovered his sites.)
He actually uses the products and dissects them so he can tell you not only what works and what doesn't, but *why* it works or doesn't.

Just bear in mind that MS is coming to the gadget business from a very different direction than ad-merchant Google and Hardware Vendor Apple. And they really *are* bringing something new and different into the world. It may or not be something of value to you but don't dismiss it out of hand. They might surprise you.
(Just ask Sony and Nintendo, among others who took Microsoft lightly.)

BTW: Doesn't this more properly belong in Discussions?

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-20-2012 at 05:33 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've never used any one of the three, so I sure wouldn't want to wager a guess—except to bet that I'll be just as completely unaffected by this entry to the tablet/smartphone/os/app-osphere as I was the other two.

Mobile computing's just a fad anyway.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

Mobile computing's just a fad anyway.
Ah, channeling Ken Olsen, are you?
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...ken_olsen.html
Quote:
There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home.
Ken Olsen
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #21
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Better/superior at what?
at being a OS.

Yes, better in discussions than news. you are right.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Not at all. Channeling the fat, immobile people in Wall-E.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #23
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not at all. Channeling the fat, immobile people in Wall-E.
Eeee-yeew!
(Talk about horror-filled dystopias!)
Old 09-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #24
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
at being a OS.
This is a bit vague, because you don't say what makes an OS superior to another. If superiority indicates which OS gives you most options, then win8 is superior because iOS and android were made to be limited.

But the truth is that the different OSs are the best for their target users and their target uses.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #25
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
This is a bit vague, because you don't say what makes an OS superior to another.
It is the quality of the coding, the efficiency of the algorithms, the flexibility of the APIs. Things like thread-scheduling, efficiency of multi-threading, quality of the networking stack. It is a matter of the Operating System's sophistication and polish.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #26
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
It is the quality of the coding, the efficiency of the algorithms, the flexibility of the APIs. Things like thread-scheduling, efficiency of multi-threading, quality of the networking stack. It is a matter of the Operating System's sophistication and polish.
But the performance depends on the hardware as well. If you have a single core processor (I don't know if they still make devices with single core processors anymore) it doesn't matter how good the OS is at multi-threading.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #27
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
But the performance depends on the hardware as well. If you have a single core processor (I don't know if they still make devices with single core processors anymore) it doesn't matter how good the OS is at multi-threading.
You can still buy single core x86 hardware. Multithreading matters a great deal to single core machines, especially in use cases like this where you require responsiveness and low power to go hand in hand. While mobile interfaces often help this to be simplified with their design constraints, something promising a windows like experience could be rather a lot more tricky on the scheduler side.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #28
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
I'll have to withdraw my endorsement, then. I was only going by how well it did the things I needed it to do. Probably need to reconsider my overall satisfaction with a lot of other things I own to...maybe get an engineering degree before I shop for my next car...
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #29
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Since hardly anyone has used Windows 8, it's sort of a moot question. AFAIK the phone version isn't even ready, which is why the new Lumias don't have ship dates.

However, videos like this don't inspire much confidence. The split metro/x86 environment on tablets looks like a usability nightmare. I've also heard lots of complaints about the metro environment on desktops, particularly in regards to Outlook.
I agree. Who knows? Those idiot, paid magazine editors?

I like to think I know Windows very well, and Office very well, but then I went from XP to 7 and I was reminded of that horse designed by a committee.

i.e. a camel

Any new product from MS will have a steep learning curve.

On the other hand, the MS product is usually a big system, not a little bite sized app which is one reason Android and iOS do well. They are little bite sized morsels that kids can digest along with their bottle.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:53 AM   #30
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Yes I did see that. But how is iOS and Android on tablets any different, really, than on a phone? Doesn't matter anyway, because Microsoft *is* aiming Windows 8 at the phone market and they already pretty much own the PC market.
iOS is the same, apart from minor differences, and I can't speak for Android as I've never used it on either kind of unit.

But even though iOS is the same, you use it quite differently, because you have four-finger shortcuts and just more screen estate, giving apps much more to work with.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote