Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
rockinron
rockinron began at the beginning.

Device: nook
How do I download free ebooks?

I just bought a Nook, thinking that I can use the online libraries. But I'm having trouble getting started. Is there an article that tells you how to do it? Or one of your existing threads that discusses this?

I heard that I could go to the New York Public Library and download books for a $100 per year, but I didn't see the link to do that. Tried Chicago, too, but saw no link. Help!

I have successfully downloaded Overdrive and Adobe Digital Editions, but don't know where to go from here.

Thanks! I appreciate your help!
rockinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, rockinron

First, you have to start with your local library that you have a card to. You can't just go to any library and check out books.

Check online and see if they have the books you want....if so, fine, follow the directions, download to your computer, and then sideload to your nook.

the NYPL no longer offers the non resident card

Try the Philly free library......I don't have a link but a little research will find it.

Too bad you weren't given better information.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinron View Post
I just bought a Nook, thinking that I can use the online libraries. But I'm having trouble getting started. Is there an article that tells you how to do it? Or one of your existing threads that discusses this?

I heard that I could go to the New York Public Library and download books for a $100 per year, but I didn't see the link to do that. Tried Chicago, too, but saw no link. Help!

I have successfully downloaded Overdrive and Adobe Digital Editions, but don't know where to go from here.

Thanks! I appreciate your help!
Seems you are on the right track with having gotten ADE. The next thing you seem to need is a library membership that lets you access the books?

From what I have read, your information on the NYPL is out of date, more recent posts say they have stopped offering non resident memberships. The current most widely available and easiest to get nonresident membership seems to be the Philly Free Library (as the poster above states) for $15 a year. Goto http://libwww.freelibrary.org/register/getcard1.cfm and print out the pdf and mail it in with a check and wait about 3 weeks and you should get access. You then want to use the advanced search to look for epubs , which will download and open with the ADE then you can set up your nook to transfer the files into it when it is plugged in through USB.
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
At the Overdrive website (www.overdrive.com) you can search for libraries in your neighbourhood that use Overdrive.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
rockinron

Thanks very much for these responses. Overdrive says that there are 38 libraries within 100 miles of my zip. I'll begin sorting through these. I filled out the Philly app, and we'll see where that takes me. But it seems like the volume of books in nook-friendly format is not as large as I thought. For example, if I wanted to read a relatively newly-published book, like John Grisham's The Confession, it doesn't show up at any of the libraries within 100 miles of my zip, nor does it show up in the Philly library. Am I missing something?
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks very much for these responses. Overdrive says that there are 38 libraries within 100 miles of my zip. I'll begin sorting through these. I filled out the Philly app, and we'll see where that takes me. But it seems like the volume of books in nook-friendly format is not as large as I thought. For example, if I wanted to read a relatively newly-published book, like John Grisham's The Confession, it doesn't show up at any of the libraries within 100 miles of my zip, nor does it show up in the Philly library. Am I missing something?
Not all books are available in ebook format. Sometimes the publishers delay the availability.

Also, not all librarys buy all books.

Also, regardless of how many libraries are within 100 miles of you.....you will still need to be a resident of that county or library consortium, in order to qualify for membership.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
rockinron

So, in general, how long after a print edition's sale does the book become available in epub format? For example, John Grisham's "Ford County Stories" was published in 2009. I find it in epub format on overdrive, but when I search for a library, it says it finds none near my zipcode or near the Philly zip code. Same thing with "The Firm" which was published in 1991. What am I missing?
Old 11-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
So, in general, how long after a print edition's sale does the book become available in epub format? For example, John Grisham's "Ford County Stories" was published in 2009. I find it in epub format on overdrive, but when I search for a library, it says it finds none near my zipcode or near the Philly zip code. Same thing with "The Firm" which was published in 1991. What am I missing?
Some authors have refused to allow their books to be digitized.

Again, not all libraries will carry all books. Its a cost thing.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
The Confession was just published so it probably isn't showing up at many libraries yet.

For instance, our library Overdrive tends to add about 15 to 20 eBooks around the 2nd week of every month. No new books have been added yet in November, but I expect the any day now and I'd be shocked if The Confession wasn't added this month.

Rarely, a really popular book might be put up as a pre-order for our library Overdrive - to allow the waiting lists to start before the purchase, but only about one a month. They do that often with audiobooks but not with the eBooks.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
I download ebooks from 4 different libraries and they vary widely in the content that they will buy. You will just have to be content with what your libraries have to offer. Eventually, they will become more common, unfortunately, Kindle doesn't care about epub (so no Adobe Library editions) so it will probably be a while before it is an alternative to hard cover.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote