Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Techonology is the best overall?
Reflective LCD 21 26.92%
E-Ink 57 73.08%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #31
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Don't see what the fuss is about the reflective LCD battery times. I mean, we have to charge our cell phones and our MP3 players on a regular basis and this is just one more thing to charge. I find that my Libre goes longer between charges than those two other devices. To me, it's a non-issue and not a factor in determining which technology is "better".

I don't have any actual experience of the e-ink screens (other than playing around with them in stores) so I didn't vote in the poll, but one of the factors in my purchasing the Libre was the instantaneous page turns and the lower price.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #32
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Assumptions, assumptions.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #33
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
I think since the ratio of e-ink users on MR to reflective LCD users is so high, you are going to see far more votes for e-ink. Who has actually tried LCD screens other than JB/Libre owners? The majority of JB/Libre owners are happy with their device. And (probably) the majority of e-ink users are happy as well.

Many e-ink readers have better features than the JB/Libre, but I don't think those are relevant to which screen technology is better. When it comes down to making a purchase, price vs. value is key for me.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #34
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I mean, we have to charge our cell phones and our MP3 players on a regular basis and this is just one more thing to charge.
And not everyone has a cell phone or an MP3 player. I have the second, and use it only sporadically.

You said "just one more thing", others would say "yet another thing"
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #35
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
I think since the ratio of e-ink users on MR to reflective LCD users is so high, you are going to see far more votes for e-ink. Who has actually tried LCD screens other than JB/Libre owners?
Exactly what I was thinking. I wonder how many voting for e-ink have actually used the reflective LCD and why they voted for e-ink.

I didn't bother to vote in the poll. I don't think the survey question was phrased very well because "best" is subjective. For example, as ridiculous as it may sound, if someone told me they wanted the screen with the lowest contrast, I would say the best for them is e-ink. If someone told me they wanted an ereader with the slowest response time I would tell them the best one for them is e-ink. If someone asked me for the highest priced class of ereaders, the best for them would be e-ink.

However, if someone were to ask me which technology is superior, I would tell them reflective LCD. In my mind, my experience, and in every specification I have come across, e-ink is at a disadvantage.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #36
akira28
Nameless Being

I have done my own survey.

Of the 17 voters in favor of e-ink all are e-ink owners. Only one owns a reflective LCD.

Of the 7 voting for reflective LCD 2 are listed owning e-ink, 4 reflective LCD and 1 non-reflective LCD.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #37
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
I think since the ratio of e-ink users on MR to reflective LCD users is so high, you are going to see far more votes for e-ink. Who has actually tried LCD screens other than JB/Libre owners? The majority of JB/Libre owners are happy with their device. And (probably) the majority of e-ink users are happy as well.
I'm sure you are right. Comparing these two visually there are very minor differences. I'm all for having a reflective lcd screen. It seems that the eye strain would be just as minimal.

As a matter of fact you can get a jetBook-Lite for $99 from Newegg.com through April 12.

I have a PRS-505 that uses eInk but I think I'll grab one for my daughter.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #38
mrkarl
Connoisseur
mrkarl began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre pro
I actualy took a chance with the libre and got it without ever seeing what the screen did look like because I really didn't like the eink readers that I did see....the LCD screen looks a lot nicer than the e-ink (Ithink anyway) and the battery life isn't that bad...I charge it about once a week
mrkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #39
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
The point is that no matter how fast slow e-ink screens can change it will always be many times slower than LCD. They will always flash to a disturbing black and with the last page remnants (at least from what I have observed with the Sonys, Kindles, and Nooks). They will have lower contrast in every lighting situation.

The battery life is not relavant since it is dependent on the manufacturers design incorporating the said LCD which is not the subject here. But the only current devices using this reflective screen are the Jetbook (Aluratek), rated at 20 hours continuous use (how many people really need more?), and the Jetbook lite, which has replaceable batteries and, assuming access to them, could extend usage beyond even the longest e-inker.

I agree with you about reading in the dark. I also think I'd rather read on my iTouch than deal with an attached light on my Jetbook.
I agree with you on the Sony, but on the Irex the page turns are so fast (except for very graphic intensive items like full newspapers) that any "improvement" would be lost on me. But as far as the battery goes, well I travel a lot. A long flight, several bus rides and the 15-20 hours would go by very quickly. Contrast is fine, sure if they had a device with 300-600 dpi.... And yes, I have to recharge my phone every 2 days, but if they had a phone with the same functions that could last for 2 weeks I would be all over it!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #40
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
...you get 20 times the battery life. So I really don't see the point! The only possible use for me would be when I am sitting in a dark area and cannot turn any lights on...
Hans, the poll is about the jetBook/Libre TFT screen, which is not backlit. It looks like you are thinking of a backlit LCD screen. Correct?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #41
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I agree with you on the Sony, but on the Irex the page turns are so fast (except for very graphic intensive items like full newspapers) that any "improvement" would be lost on me. But as far as the battery goes, well I travel a lot. A long flight, several bus rides and the 15-20 hours would go by very quickly. Contrast is fine, sure if they had a device with 300-600 dpi.... And yes, I have to recharge my phone every 2 days, but if they had a phone with the same functions that could last for 2 weeks I would be all over it!
I have seen pictures and video of the iRex and based on those I've found it is the only device of its type that has impressed me. Yes it does have short page turns, relative to other e-inkers, that minimises the annoying black flashes but it's still there. What is different is that it appears to solve the problem of flashing the negative of the previous page (ie white text over black background) that I find so disturbing. Perhaps you could confirm this?

I had hoped to get another reader with a larger screen and thought that the iPad was going to fit the bill. But I ruled that out after seeing its low quality text. So even though I probably wouldn't get the contrast I have on the Jetbook and, since it doesn't appear that anyone is going to make a larger reflective LCD version anytime soon, I am now considering the iRex. Unfortunately the DR800SG isn't in retail stores in the USA as it is only sold via the web so it can't be checked out in person. Also, having just been introduced, according to people who own it, its firmware seems a bit incomplete.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #42
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have seen pictures and video of the iRex and based on those I've found it is the only device of its type that has impressed me. Yes it does have short page turns, relative to other e-inkers, that minimises the annoying black flashes but it's still there. What is different is that it appears to solve the problem of flashing the negative of the previous page (ie white text over black background) that I find so disturbing. Perhaps you could confirm this?

I had hoped to get another reader with a larger screen and thought that the iPad was going to fit the bill. But I ruled that out after seeing its low quality text. So even though I probably wouldn't get the contrast I have on the Jetbook and, since it doesn't appear that anyone is going to make a larger reflective LCD version anytime soon, I am now considering the iRex. Unfortunately the DR800SG isn't in retail stores in the USA as it is only sold via the web so it can't be checked out in person. Also, having just been introduced, according to people who own it, its firmware seems a bit incomplete.
What happens when you turn the page is that the screen turns complete black for a split second and then the new page appears. So no ghosting of the old page. As for the firmware, you are right. But a Beta version of the new firmware is already out, now we have note taking, PDF zoom, and the latest version ADE. Although there is still room for improvement.

Of course, try before you buy is always a good policy, everybody has different needs. The old e-ink flash never really bothered me, but it is nicer this way. And 8" is the way to go, the device is still very small, but now I can read some previously bought PDF books -- non-fiction with pictures and maps -- in original layout (without zoom or reflow) and it does look great.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #43
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Hans, the poll is about the jetBook/Libre TFT screen, which is not backlit. It looks like you are thinking of a backlit LCD screen. Correct?
Yes, I was under the impression that it was backlit, but that the backlighting could be turn completely off. So it doesn't have that additional functionality.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #44
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
I have done my own survey.

Of the 17 voters in favor of e-ink all are e-ink owners. Only one owns a reflective LCD.

Of the 7 voting for reflective LCD 2 are listed owning e-ink, 4 reflective LCD and 1 non-reflective LCD.
Update:

Of the 5 (total 22) more voting against the reflective LCD none even own it.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:41 AM   #45
Nitrousoxide
Enthusiast
Nitrousoxide began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Update:

Of the 5 (total 22) more voting against the reflective LCD none even own it.
What, if any, is the difference between reflective LCD techs like Pixel-Q and old techs that were implemented in things like GBA and the like? Other than there being a backlight of course.
Nitrousoxide is offline   Reply With Quote