Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Rooted or clean?
Rooted 13 37.14%
Clean 22 62.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #31
brentk
brentk began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I just got mine, so I think I'll finish reading Dracula first. I feel like I should use it at least once for its intended function before turning it into just another electronic toy to play with!

And, do you mean to say that folder/category/coverflow for sideloaded content is available, or shortly to be? (Yeah I know, sorry, but I just haven't read the link yet.)
brentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #32
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
Would the cover-flow or folder/category-based organization of the side-loaded content entice you?
Trook is a major enticement for me... and I don't even own a Nook at the moment! I'm waiting to see...
  • Will rooting the Nook survive the next major upgrade?
  • Will the nook get "zippier" after the next upgrade?
  • Will the nook remember my position in multiple books after the next upgrade?
  • Will the iRex DR800 work out well, or will it be a device to pass up?
  • Will Calibre (or some other software) be able to be configured to produce an index close to what I'd like to see on-device?
Once I have answers to these questions — and some more money! — I'll be deciding what to upgrade to.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #33
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Regarding remembering position on books -- unfortunately this feature is currently broken for me (but then I've only read 3 books within a month, so it's no biggie), but it did work quite well on 1.0.0, so technically nook can remember positions in different books (just like any other reader), just some people are having issues with this feature now.

The nookdevs team consists of people who are experts in modern mobile devices, I'm sure that even if there's a major change in the underlying OS they will come up with an exploit quick, considering the system SD card is physically removable.

For the side-flow and folder organization of the side-loaded content -- I have very high hopes for kbs'es Trook (I hope it will be forked into a separate app) and the joint effort for the better integrated nook launcher. KB has already figured out the way to launch the built-in reader with any content, so it's just a matter of writing UI for file browsing.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #34
kbs
kbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-books

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
Yes -- I've added some simple folder-browsing/cover flow in recent revisions of Trook. The code turned out to be relatively minimal, and it seemed to fit somewhat naturally in the UI, so in it went, and here is how it looks.

A little bonus if you use Calibre to manage your books -- it uses the same approach to place cover images; so if you copy your books to the Nook via Calibre, you get cover images at the same time. I'm sorry to say that I'm not able to get at the images for B&N books (sigh) as it is stashed away in a more obscure way, but one of these days...

As stangri also points out, a good library manager is something other nookdevs are actively thinking about; so [along with everyone here, actually :-) ] I'm looking forward to seeing some great ideas and apps over the coming weeks.

-kb
kbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #35
JoelMBenge
JoelMBenge began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
Does anyone know how easy it is to virginize the nook after it's been rooted? That is, is it as simple and plopping the official 1.0.0 fw back on the nook and initiating a rollback? (then upgrading back to 1.1.1, or later B&N blessed updates)?

I know, with the iPhone you have to modify some pretty integral parts, which remain modded even if you put an official firmware back on. (At least for unlocking, not sure about simple jailbreaking)
JoelMBenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #36
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs View Post
Yes -- I've added some simple folder-browsing/cover flow in recent revisions of Trook. The code turned out to be relatively minimal, and it seemed to fit somewhat naturally in the UI, so in it went, and here is how it looks.

A little bonus if you use Calibre to manage your books -- it uses the same approach to place cover images; so if you copy your books to the Nook via Calibre, you get cover images at the same time. I'm sorry to say that I'm not able to get at the images for B&N books (sigh) as it is stashed away in a more obscure way, but one of these days...

As stangri also points out, a good library manager is something other nookdevs are actively thinking about; so [along with everyone here, actually :-) ] I'm looking forward to seeing some great ideas and apps over the coming weeks.

-kb
Neat!

What I'm looking for is somewhat different, however. I have 1100 books in my library in Calibre at the moment (and growing fast). Back in the days of the Sony 500 & 505, I observed that their 10 numbered buttons should make it possible to navigate to any of 1000 books in 3 button pushes, and 10K books in 4. All that is required is an appropriate hierarchical menu tree. (well... several, actually. Forex, one each for by-Title, by-Author, and by-Series.)

Coverflow browsing (by comparison) begins to lose when you have 100s of things to scroll through. So here are a couple of thoughts:

Can you write to the eInk screen as well as to the LCD? If so, it might be interesting to display the current level of an N-way hierarchy on the eInk display, and the "selection buttons" on the LCD. Then drill down another tree level per selection until the number of choices is small enough to make cover-flow reasonable — perhaps 20 or so?

Or just use the LCD, with cover-flow to scroll through the current dozen-ish choices.

In either case, it's worth noting that Calibre has recently gained the capability of writing a library index file. I'll bet that it would be possible (e.g. "can be made possible with a bit more programming") to customize that index file to work really well in combination with Trook.

Xenophon
Old 01-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #37
kbs
kbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-books

Ah, ok -- great ideas :-)

It is indeed possible to write to the eink just as easily, so a tree navigation using a combination of the eink + lcd is quite feasible. A more "faceted" browsing system (ie, by tags/author/etc) over a database of books, using the Calibre or other index would indeed be very useful. It'll be interesting to see the evolution of library managers for the Nook; and there are some efforts being hatched at nookdevs at least...

The trook local book browsing is quite basic, but FWIW, to the extent someone can organize N books into a multi-level hierarchy with k folders or books at any level, it approaches your last idea. On the LCD, one just sees the current k choices (be it a sub-folder, or a book.) Tapping a sub-folder icon drills into the next k choices, while tapping a book opens it; and it takes roughly log_k(N) swipe/tap gestures to get to any book...

-kb
Old 01-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #38
Xenophon
curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs View Post
Ah, ok -- great ideas :-)

It is indeed possible to write to the eink just as easily, so a tree navigation using a combination of the eink + lcd is quite feasible. A more "faceted" browsing system (ie, by tags/author/etc) over a database of books, using the Calibre or other index would indeed be very useful. It'll be interesting to see the evolution of library managers for the Nook; and there are some efforts being hatched at nookdevs at least...

The trook local book browsing is quite basic, but FWIW, to the extent someone can organize N books into a multi-level hierarchy with k folders or books at any level, it approaches your last idea. On the LCD, one just sees the current k choices (be it a sub-folder, or a book.) Tapping a sub-folder icon drills into the next k choices, while tapping a book opens it; and it takes roughly log_k(N) swipe/tap gestures to get to any book...

-kb
You're clearly thinking along the same lines I am. The issue is that it's really handy to have more than one hierarchy -- that "faceted" thing you mentioned. Can trook read an opds file (that's a "Stanza Catalog file," btw)? If so, we're really close to the sort of interface I'm after, as there's a program that produces an opds file from a Calibre library. All that would be needed is the capability to slice-n-dice a bit differently than it does now.

Xenophon
Old 01-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #39
kbs

Yes, it understands OPDS files; and you're absolutely right. If the program you have in mind (maybe calibre2opds?) dumps an appropriately linked set of catalog files onto the Nook, it should allow local browsing along the multiple hierarchies, by navigating the catalogs rather than the folders. That's a nifty, crafty idea, thank you for the suggestion!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #40
joeyjoejoejr
joeyjoejoejr began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I rooted mine and love the added functionality so far (some glitches but well worth it to me). The main issue I'd really like to figure out soon is how to change the download location for books obtained through Trook. Right now it saves to the Nook's SD card and not the microsd card attached, thus there are actually 3 separate libraries (Trook, Calibre/microsd, and B&N Store downloads). Consolidating those somehow would be much preferred. Can't wait to see what the Nookdevs team come up with.
joeyjoejoejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #41
kbs

I'm afraid I don't yet have a way to change settings from within Trook itself, but you can directly modify the preferences file on the nook. I've added a section on how to update these settings to the FAQ

Trook currently works in a very simple way, just using file folders to group things (and I'll update the root menu in the next revision to include the sdcard -- something I'd missed out entirely.)

However, trook also reads any xml files you place in these folders as "a catalog", and you can use this trick to point to other folders and books, or additional catalog files. This becomes an alternate way to navigate through your books, in addition to folders.

For instance, you can copy a file called sdcard.xml to your "my documents" folder, with the following contents

Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom">
  <id>file:///my documents/sdcard.xml</id>
  <title>My sdcard</title>
  <entry>
    <title>Sdcard root</title>
    <link type="trook/directory" href="file:///sdcard"/>
    <id>file:///sdcard</id>
    <content type="text">Here is my sdcard</content>
  </entry>
</feed>
and you will now have a way to get to /sdcard etc.

Also see Xenophon's neat ideas above. I hope to spend some time on (a simple) way to dump Calibre's catalog database, so one can at least explore the Calibre exported books in more ways than just via folders. But as they say... don't tip the waiter until the meal is finished, so let's see how it goes

Please definitely take a look at the nookLibrary project over at nookdevs. It's made exciting progress, as nookLibrary integrates far more tightly with the B&N library, and provides a much more consistent experience with the stock B&N library manager; so it's taking a very promising direction.

-kb
Old 02-06-2010, 05:27 AM   #42
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I rooted my nook today. I really like Trook.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote