Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-28-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
ziobleed
ziobleed began at the beginning.

Device: still nothing
i need an ereader for University technical books in pdf

hi all

this is a great forum

im interested in buying an ereader , i think i will buy the sony 505

i will use the ereader for pdf ebook

a typical ebook will be like the one attached below

will it be easily readable?

bye all

zb

ps : i invite the moderator to delete the book after few answers...

Last edited by NatCh; 08-28-2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: removed copyrighted attachment, per forum policy.
ziobleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Sorry, ziobleed, I'm afraid we can't even leave the file up that long, it's under copyright, you see.

However, I can tell you that graphics intensive PDFs don't usually work well in a reflowed PDF, since the images disappear.

The iLiad is the closest device to handling what you're asking about, but it's quite pricey, even their lower priced non-wireless version.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
You can get an idea of how the PRS-505 will display PDFs using Sony's Windows ebook Reader. The Sony is the only EInk device that reads Secure Adobe ebooks (sometimes called PDFs), but for standard letter/A4 PDFs the iLiad's larger screen is typically better. However, the PRS-505 will attempt to reflow the PDF which the iLiad will not do (unless you import the PDF into Windows MobiPocket Reader and view the resulting MOBI file on the iLiad). The success of reflow is highly variable though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Scratch the eInk devices out now, unless you want to spring $600 for an Iliad, and get an iPod Touch (or iPhone if you need one). It displays PDF's better than any device I've used so far and won't break your bank if you get an 8GB version. PDF's are just terrible on my PRS's and a slate laptop might be too much to carry, though you can see a whole page at once on one... power consumption comes to mind... Easiest way to see for yourself is to load up a PDF to an SD card and stop by some place local where you can take it for a test-drive.

Good luck!

Edit: Forgot about the all important Tablet PC! You can get one on eBay, in my opinion, a slate is best for just PDF viewing; i.e., in class, on-the-go, and stuff; plus, one can be for about the price of a 32GB Touch or less than an Iliad. As always, do your research into the sellers feedback/activity before buying anything of high value on eBay. Be safe!

Last edited by Azayzel; 09-06-2008 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Didn't think to mention how cheap/useful TabletPC's are with PDF's!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:26 AM   #5
ziobleed
ziobleed began at the beginning.

Device: still nothing
Thanks all for the helpful answers

zb
ziobleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2008, 12:55 AM   #6
Ceili
well, that didn't work
Ceili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
I'm in the process of learning a new program for work and have been able to send the pdf manual to my kindle. So far, so good. Pages look right, no problems with text. I haven't gone through the whole thing (either online or on the kindle) so I don't know whether there are graphics in the file.

I will say that I was Very pleasantly surprised at how nice it looks on the kindle and I love that I can carry it around with me and learn while I'm on line at the store and so on.

What I Really loved though was the publisher specifically spelling out that the book could be printed (pdf) or copied electronically for learning. I really didn't want to print it all out for carrying around, so being allowed to read it on the kindle is quite a cool thing.

that said, I think if the majority of my reading were pdf based, I'd try to spring for an Iliad, probably used as they're a bit too pricey yet for me (I do love the idea of them though)

Last edited by Ceili; 09-07-2008 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Forgot to add a line
Ceili is offline   Reply With Quote